So far

RG3

Hatcher

DY

Pot Roast

Keenan Robinson

Jeron Johnson

Goldson

Anyone want to also give an update what our salary cap looks like after people I cut?  That would be great info for us mortal types that don't know how to deal with the cap.

Anyone want to also give an update what our salary cap looks like after people I cut?  That would be great info for us mortal types that don't know how to deal with the cap.

Ballparking it we've cleared around 28-30 mil

That's the PR reason.

The real reason is that we sent him his pink slip but he dropped it.

If that is true TK that's not bad at all.  And we still have Roberts to cut at least..  :D

Another 3mil

Sad to see DY go. Dude seemed to be really useful in several different roles. And at least felt like a real team player. (And I'm not sure why we're cutting him. I would assume he was close to min wage. Unglamorous position, and all).

(Case y'all can't tell, I have a thing for non-famous power backs who are willing to do whatever role the team needs).

Wouldn't have minded hanging on to Pot Roast, DEPENDING on how much he wanted. Wouldn't have offered him Big Bucks. But I'm not sure anybody else would, either.

Sad to see DY go. Dude seemed to be really useful in several different roles. And at least felt like a real team player. (And I'm not sure why we're cutting him. I would assume he was close to min wage. Unglamorous position, and all).

(Case y'all can't tell, I have a thing for non-famous power backs who are willing to do whatever role the team needs).

Wouldn't have minded hanging on to Pot Roast, DEPENDING on how much he wanted. Wouldn't have offered him Big Bucks. But I'm not sure anybody else would, either.

I could see the Ravens using DY the way they use "Juice"

It would be wise to find his replacement first. Roberts has been a huge disappointment but our receiving corps is non-existent at best as it is currently constructed, with the exception of DeSean Jackson of course. 

Right, how could we possibly expect anybody to replace Roberts' stellar stats of 11 catches for 135 yards and 0 TDs last year, especially at his salary of $5 mil this year?

Other than maybe Crowder (59-604-2) or Grant (23-268-2) or Ross (8-184-1). Or almost any rookie. Or possibly one of us on this board.

Right, how could we possibly expect anybody to replace Roberts' stellar stats of 11 catches for 135 yards and 0 TDs last year, especially at his salary of $5 mil this year?

Other than maybe Crowder (59-604-2) or Grant (23-268-2) or Ross (8-184-1). Or almost any rookie. Or possibly one of us on this board.

I just found some lint in my belly button that will play for 1.5.

Not surprising. They were not gonna pay him 8 mill this year. Hope he comes back for a discount. And there are a couple of very good safeties that will be on the market this year. I wonder if we will go after Weddle.

so did he just not play well enough to warrant the 8 million this year? I mean, maybe he just had a bad year. strange how that works.   the GM went out and got him last year, committed to him.  He must have had real, real, bad year right?

so did he just not play well enough to warrant the 8 million this year? I mean, maybe he just had a bad year. strange how that works.   the GM went out and got him last year, committed to him.  He must have had real, real, bad year right?

The only real guy McC committed too last year was Culliver with a long term deal. Goldson's deal was more of a show me deal than anything else. Even a bit of an emergency move where you suits the player on the second year if he performs, or cut if he doesn't. Which just happened.

Doesn't mean we're not working on a new contract as well, once he'll test the market and see how things go for him.

The only real guy McC committed too last year was Culliver with a long term deal. Goldson's deal was more of a show me deal than anything else. Even a bit of an emergency move where you suits the player on the second year if he performs, or cut if he doesn't. Which just happened.

Doesn't mean we're not working on a new contract as well, once he'll test the market and see how things go for him.

Tampa gave Goldson his deal...the Skins traded for him (and his deal)...knowing it was a one year trial.  Unless he played at a pro bowl level he was never going to see that $8 million.

I've been saying for a while, what GMSM does this off-season is going to be very interesting.  For the first time in what seems like 2 decades, there was a heck of a lot of chemistry and leadership in the locker-room, but interestingly, a lot of it came from guys who weren't really worth the money they were making (or going to make), like Hatcher, Knighton, Goldson (Safety) and Garcon.

I think the one notable exception of a leader who is worth every penny is Trent Williams.  

With the cuts so far, we're almost certainly going to get better football players at a lower cost.  But it's a tight-rope, you don't want to blow up the team chemistry either. Especially after he went out of his way last year to bring in guys who could provide the leadership and experience that comes from being on a winning, and even a SB winning team. 

Maybe they feel like the next generation of leaders is already on the team with Kirk, Williams, Baker, Kerrigan.  Not sure.  But a lot of experience is walking out the door.  Probably the right move, but there's a risk.  

I've been saying for a while, what GMSM does this off-season is going to be very interesting.  For the first time in what seems like 2 decades, there was a heck of a lot of chemistry and leadership in the locker-room, but interestingly, a lot of it came from guys who weren't really worth the money they were making (or going to make), like Hatcher, Knighton, Goldson (Safety) and Garcon.

I really don't get everyone's hate for Garcon - he's tough, healthy and been clutch for us and fights tooth and nail for contested balls - I'd hate to lose him. If he went we'd really miss him

Leadership and chemistry are great and all but you need talent to win. I think there are plenty of leaders on this team with Cousins, Garcon, Williams, Baker, Kerrigan, Hall, etc. We need some legit gamebreaking talent and we can't afford to pay big bucks to scrubs just because guys like playing with them.

I really don't get everyone's hate for Garcon - he's tough, healthy and been clutch for us and fights tooth and nail for contested balls - I'd hate to lose him. If he went we'd really miss him

Most people I've heard don't hate Garcon.  It's that they believe his production is out of alignment with his compensation.

Which might be fair.  A counter-argument would be that he is known, a good locker-room guy, comes up with big catches, and Kirk is comfortable with him in big spots, so why mess with a formula that might work pretty well.  

I think that it's going to take some time to replace some of the "old guard" skill position players, but why create a hole on your roster when you have other holes to fill already...

Leadership and chemistry are great and all but you need talent to win. I think there are plenty of leaders on this team with Cousins, Garcon, Williams, Baker, Kerrigan, Hall, etc. We need some legit gamebreaking talent and we can't afford to pay big bucks to scrubs just because guys like playing with them.

I agree.  But it's interesting, there aren't a lot of situations that I can think of where your leadership guys are also the over-compensate, under-performing guys.  

I don't think it's a huge issue, and they do have some guys that can fill in.  But they needed to change the culture in the locker room, and the way GMSM did that is bring in guys who had had success.  It was very obvious, and he even mentioned it.  

You're right, talent wins games, but you have to have a cohesive team as well.  

Archived