Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

USA Today: Redskins among 4 teams that won't make the Playoffs in 2016

goskins10

They lost me when they mentioned romoSUCKS coming back healthy for 16 games. That's a helluva an assumption at this point now.

At this point I'm not even sure he would be healthy for 16 games playin' Madden... He might still break his collarbone again...

Playing Poker maybe? If he doesn't cut his fingers with the cards?

Tough to say...

But I'm kidding. He and Bradford will play 16 games next year. As a whole.

Can't read a whole lot into the article. Just seems like the author noticed a trend that four teams that make the playoffs one year don't make them the next, and was just trying to figure out which four playoff teams in 2015 are the most likely not to make it next season. He seemed to avoid the teams that received first round byes this season (you do wonder how well Denver will do with Osweiler, even with that good defense, as well as Arizona) as well as the teams that have had recent track records in Green Bay, Seattle, and Pittsburgh.

Kind of surprising that he included Cincy.......despite their potential FA issues, they still have been regulars the past several seasons. KC should be fine if Alex Smith sticks around.  I can see Houston being a mess.  In the NFC, are the Vikings really more likely to make the playoffs again than the Skins?

It would be interesting to have a complement article indicating which four teams that didn't make the playoffs last season will make them in 2016.  I can see Indy coming back in the AFC, and perhaps Dallas in the NFC.  Tough to predict who else will make it.

Anyway, I'll be curious to see what the prognosticators say when the various preview mags come out in the summer. I'm not sure the Redskins should "easily" be favored in the division, but would like to see them as co-favorites with the Cowboys (and that assumes a healthy Romo, of course). The Giants and Philly likely won't be 4-win horrible, but can see them both again in the 6-8 win range.

I think odds are good DJax could be on another team this season. Are we willing to pay what he'll want?.

The more I think about it I believe they will restructure. They can convert his salary to bonus and add a few yrs to the contract. They guarantee this yr and next and he becomes more cap friendly but still gets his money.

Garcon is another story. Just not sure about him. He could be a cap casualty.

anything can happen. But to believe a certain QB who is a year older and coming up a year where he had the same injury to his collarbone for I think the 2nd and 3rd time.....to not get hurt. That's insane. Well, maybe if they do get a better backup since that guy will start somewhere between 3-10 games for them in '16.

Whatever. Predictions are like assholes....by assholes.

But neither yr left is guaranteed. They could release him with only a $2.5M dead cap hit, gaining over $7M in cap space. As I said above, I could see them renegotiating with him to convert much of his salary/roster bonus to signing bonus and add 2 yrs. Gives us some cap space and gives him some more up front money. Here is the whole team.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-redskins/cap/

You think that's disrespectful how about Vegas  http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/redskinsblog/despite-2015-success-vegas-not-high-2016-redskins-super-bowl?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=washington-redskins

They have the Redskins as the worst team in the NFC East, heck one of the worst teams in the NFL in 2016 -- only 4 teams they gave worse odds to make it to the Super Bowl.  Chris Russell is talking about this right now on 106.7 -- he said his sources told him the Redskins players feed off of the negativity so he says keep reminding them because the players last season loved that stuff.  I recall D. Hall talking about it.  D. Jax, too. Ditto Jay.

Who cares what USA Today predicts. The same paper that Picked the Seahawks winning the Super Bowl over the Colts who didn't even make the playoffs. The same paper that had Baltimore winning the AFC Central and the Eagles winning the NFC East. That paper? Anyone can make a prediction but it takes a real expert to see talent and not just blow smoke up peoples behinds year after year.

Love to make a futures bet on the Skins later this summer.  IIRC, think they may have been 15-1 to take the division prior to the 2015 season. 

Scot said DJax and Garcon will be back. Why do our fans want to keep getting rid of our starting WRs? It's like fans "want" to get rid of them. I don't get it.

90% of fan bases aren't as smart as they think they are. :)

I dunno TK, I'm kinda leaning more on it being a 1 game difference.

Only real difference is playing a team at home vs on the road, and the division rankings playing an equal placed opponent in their own division.

Regardless, it's all BS from the so-called 'expert predictors' ; they're just blindly guessing, pretty much like many of us ! :P

They always pick us to finish last, so when they get it right, they brag and walk tall, but when they blow it big time they whistle looking up and away from criticism. Again, just like us.

Scot said DJax and Garcon will be back. Why do our fans want to keep getting rid of our starting WRs? It's like fans "want" to get rid of them. I don't get it.

Since I am one of the people who said Garcon might be a cap casualty, I am curious how that translates to wanting him gone? We were having an open discussion about possibilities. Jackson and Garcon are in the top 5 in terms of cap hit. Both Scot and Jay favor big physical WRs. It is possible they decide they can't keep both contracts. At the very least I expect them to restructure one or both contracts. As far as Scot saying they will be back, he is not going to say publicly, yea we plan to ditch XXXX. That would not make any sense.

None of that translates to "I want them gone," at least not that I can see. Personally I like both players. I hope they are both back. But the FO has some tough decisions to make.

90% of fan bases aren't as smart as they think they are. :)

If any of us were that smart we would find another hobby instead of beating our heads against this one for so long.

Since I am one of the people who said Garcon might be a cap casualty, I am curious how that translates to wanting him gone? We were having an open discussion about possibilities. Jackson and Garcon are in the top 5 in terms of cap hit. Both Scot and Jay favor big physical WRs. It is possible they decide they can't keep both contracts. At the very least I expect them to restructure one or both contracts. As far as Scot saying they will be back, he is not going to say publicly, yea we plan to ditch XXXX. That would not make any sense.

None of that translates to "I want them gone," at least not that I can see. Personally I like both players. I hope they are both back. But the FO has some tough decisions to make.

If any of us were that smart we would find another hobby instead of beating our heads against this one for so long.

I agree with all that, except for the part about Scott. I know he wouldn't publicly say "we're going to release Jackson (or garçon)", so if he and the team are planning to cut one of them, why say "we're going to have them both back" if it's not true? If it's not true, he'd just say "I'm not going to comment on that right now" or "we'll see what happens in the months ahead".

I agree with all that, except for the part about Scott. I know he wouldn't publicly say "we're going to release Jackson (or garçon)", so if he and the team are planning to cut one of them, why say "we're going to have them both back" if it's not true? If it's not true, he'd just say "I'm not going to comment on that right now" or "we'll see what happens in the months ahead".

You could be right. I guess what I was thinking it's entirely possible is they could honestly want them back right now, but then decide a little later for whatever reason decide they need to restructure their contracts to make it happen and one or both balk forcing them to make another decision. 

Again, I am not hoping for it. And I do agree he probably plans to do everything he can to bring him back or he would not have said so. But things can change. We have a long way to go. It would not be the first time a team has said they plan to have someone back the next season only to have to change their minds for some reason.

Can we stop using that as an excuse? We were garbage at those positions both before and after the injuries. That's what happens when you neglect the O-line and waste picks on hype for 15 years.

I don't think he was using that as an excuse. He was using that as a way of saying "look what we did with LESS", meaning with all those pieces back, we will be better next season and make the playoffs once again, proving the article wrong. Using it as an excuse would be saying "we lost games because of losing those positions".

Can we stop using that as an excuse? We were garbage at those positions both before and after the injuries. That's what happens when you neglect the O-line and waste picks on hype for 15 years.

we were the top running team, before losing Lavaou who was playing outstanding football.

Litch is a smart solid C, that our line play much better with in the game, until Kirk started calling protections.

Neither of them are garbage. Our line last year had 2 high firsts and 3 third rounds all drafted by us.

Kirk barely got hit. That's neglected garbage? Or are you blaming our RBs inability to hit a hole on them?

Since I am one of the people who said Garcon might be a cap casualty, I am curious how that translates to wanting him gone? We were having an open discussion about possibilities. Jackson and Garcon are in the top 5 in terms of cap hit. Both Scot and Jay favor big physical WRs. It is possible they decide they can't keep both contracts. At the very least I expect them to restructure one or both contracts. As far as Scot saying they will be back, he is not going to say publicly, yea we plan to ditch XXXX. That would not make any sense.

None of that translates to "I want them gone," at least not that I can see. Personally I like both players. I hope they are both back. But the FO has some tough decisions to make.

Didn't mean it as you in particular. I did read you prefer to restructure, so my apologies as it wasn't intended solely for you post. I've just been reading in various threads over the last month or so where some have said one or the other would be/should be cut. Then Scot came out in his end of the year presser and basically said neither one are going anywhere. Could a restructure be on the horizon as you say? Quite possibly.

I guess some fans (maybe not you) haven't embraced this depth thing and seem to want to always cut off our nose to spite our face. Pretty much all of our players are on team friendly contracts despite some high numbers. We're no longer in cap hell (haven't been since Bruce came on) and have flexibility on contracts that don't require us to release half the roster.

Archived