Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

USA Today: Redskins among 4 teams that won't make the Playoffs in 2016

goskins10

Can we stop using that as an excuse?   We were garbage at those positions both before and after the injuries.  That's what happens when you neglect the O-line and waste picks on hype for 15 years.

You aren't seriously saying that the Redskins have done nothing to work on the o-line in 15 years, are you?

You aren't seriously saying that the Redskins have done nothing to work on the o-line in 15 years, are you?

Some people just need to complain. We have made a consistent investment in the oline for the last few years, both in draft picks and hiring Bill Callahan. The lack in production in the run game was a step change with KL and SL out.

Burgold was making a bigger point that we had as many or more injuries as any team in the NFL yet they only consider other teams injuries as a problem. Not a single media person mentioned - Let's keep in mind the Redskins were in the top 10 in lost starter games due to injury.  We had 3 guys starting - not backups - but starters on D that were not even on the team when the season started! I can't get to the web site anymore. They want to charge money. Maybe next season.

The last this team had consecutive playoff appearances was 1990-1992; Gibbs I final 3 years.

Until this team proves it can do at least that; they won't get any due in the press.

We won a weak division. Cousins, was he for real or one season wonder?

Can Gruden irmprove on his weaknesses as a head coach?

We have a little tougher schedule this year?

I could see us missing the playoffs but maybe not being that bad for a change? 

Until this team proves it can do at least that; they won't get any due in the press.

Yet the Cowturds make ONE playoff appearance in SIX years, yes 1/6, and they are perennial SB contenders. They really are that talented lol.

Clearly the Redskins should be the favorite to win the division next year but I'd rather be the underdog than the team that underachieves year after year with a so-called franchise QB.

Nice strawman.  Did you even read what I wrote?  Do you understand that "neglect" is not the same as "do nothing"?  If we had literally "done nothing", all our O-line would be guys in their 40s.

What Snyder, and many (most?) Redskins fans don't understand is that, in the NFL, you have to work hard just to stay where you are.  Careers are short and free agency is quick.  You need to be adding quality O-linemen every year if you want to maintain a decent (let alone good) O-line.  Otherwise you get the results that we've had for most of the Synder's tenure: Starters who would be backups on most other teams, and backups who wouldn't even be in the league except for us.

I think it's par for the course, for a team that has sucked for 25 years. 

The Cowboys will be a playoff contender with romoSUCKS and Dez playing 16 games. They're really good together.

We had 1 good year, in a year that the rest of the division completely fell off. 

DJax and Reed are injury prone and are the keys to our offense.

I expect nothing from the media, until we start to dominate and win consistently.

I dont disagree that we have only had 1 good year but...

First off DJax is not injury prone.  He missed 1 game in 2014.  He missed 0 in 2013.  Second, the Cowboys wont neccessarily be a contender next year, another myth.  Who has won the most division titles in the east in the last 5 years? The redskins, with 2.  The Cowboys have won it once.  How in the WORLD do we look at a Cowboys team that has made the playoffs ONCE in the past 6 years and think they are all that good?  Because even on a Redskins forum for some reason we buy Jerry Jones lies.

Come on people, use your heads.  The legitimate critique in this is our schedule is really hard this coming year.  But the rest was drivel.

No doubt the Cowboys are an overhyped team in general, but they have an established QB, who, in his career when healthy (big caveat), has had them usually at least playing for the division title in the last week of the season, if not winning the crown outright.

Again, lets wait to see what the preseason mags say.  I'm not going to throw a fit if most of them slightly favor the Cowboys to win the division, but I will be mad if they pick the Giants and Eagles to finish above us.

What a BS article.  I would have agreed if their major argument was the redskins didn't beat a team with a winning record so we need to wait and see how they will play with a more difficult (on paper) schedule.  But to throw out Reed and DJ injury prone BS is just bad journalism.  I mean, Gronk has not been a picture of health and every time he is off that lineup Brady looks almost ordinary but not mention of those guys, with one or even two legit teams in that division ready to challenge.  

In ours you got two new coaches for the Eagles and Giants, and then you have the perennial media darlings, the cowboys winning another NFCE division title, I mean they have done it so many times in the past 6 years.....ahhh no just once.  And I am so freaking tired hearing how Romo will come in and win everything again for them.  I guess these media idiots forgot that in that "magic" 12-4 2014 year, their running game was the best in the league, an running game that doesn't have that said running back and neither that said OL coach that coached that talented line.  

There seems to be a pretty healthy turnover in playoff teams from year to year. Around 50% don't come back the next year. And yet there are certain teams that always seem to be there - New England, Pittsburgh, Green Bay, and more recently Seattle. So odds aren't exactly in the Redskins favor. But then again, who thought Dallas or Baltimore would fall off so much in 2015? Or that Carolina would go from a losing record to 15-1? There's always unknowns. So it doesn't really matter what some random person thinks in February. The games will be played and someone will win. And the Redskins have as much chance as anyone. Maybe they get back to the playoffs and maybe they don't. No one knows right now

Its possible, but I don't see the division suddenly being a juggernaut next year. In fact you could argue that we're the team with the least question marks in the NFC East. Giants and Eagles both have new coaches, and both have massive talent deficits. Cowboys will probably be favored to win the division, but Romo is old now and has had more than his fair share of injuries.

I think it's par for the course, for a team that has sucked for 25 years. 

The Cowboys will be a playoff contender with romoSUCKS and Dez playing 16 games. They're really good together.

We had 1 good year, in a year that the rest of the division completely fell off. 

DJax and Reed are injury prone and are the keys to our offense.

I expect nothing from the media, until we start to dominate and win consistently.

There's no way Romo plays 16 games next year. His shoulder is glass at this point of his career. If they're going to be a playoff contender they had damn well better have a really good back up.

Its possible, but I don't see the division suddenly being a juggernaut next year. In fact you could argue that we're the team with the least question marks in the NFC East. Giants and Eagles both have new coaches, and both have massive talent deficits. Cowboys will probably be favored to win the division, but romoSUCKS is old now and has had more than his fair share of injuries.

So my problem is not that we are not favored it's more the reasoning and that it's stated so emphatically.

They say dallast is the favorite because they get romo and dez back from injury (no guarantees on how either play) and then cite potential injuries to Reed and Jackson as reasons for us to fail.

Jackson has not been and is not as of yet injury prone. And he played very well when he came back, regardless of the numbers. He did his job for this offense. He kept them honest and when they cheated he made them pay with 6. And I believe (just my feeling) Reed has finally decided that you have to learn there is a difference between hurt and injured. Everyone is hurting by the end of the season. But you have to play through it. Injured is a different story. I believe he was sitting out with what many would consider minor aches and pains (relative to world class athletes understanding that even one good hit from a LB would put me in traction for months, if I lived through it). He kind of alluded to that early this season when he went out for a little while. He came back and stayed on the field. Again, I have no facts or data to support, just the feeling I get.

Either way, to assume a guy who broke his collar bone twice and played like crap when he was in will come back and make them SB contenders is a big stretch. They were still without a running game even with that awesome line and Dez was not only hurt he pouted. As you say philly and the giants have a lot of question marks.

I am anxious to see what Scot does to make us better. An 8 to 10 win season would be awesome, but 7-9 would not be devastating. As long as we can see steady improvement.

There's no way romoSUCKS plays 16 games next year. His shoulder is glass at this point of his career. If they're going to be a playoff contender they had damn well better have a really good back up.

while I agree, it doesn't change anything. Just because he rushed back and hurt it again, doesn't mean he's prone to it.

Besides, I hear they have a good one coming.

This isn't the 1st time that people will dismiss the Skins and it won't be the last. I expect more the same from BSPN, FOX , and CBS going in to next year and during the season.  They won arguably the worst division in the league.  It's also easy to write them off when they haven't had any consistent success as well.  Nobody wants to give the Skins credit and that's fine.  That said, the games aren't played or written on paper.  While it's easy to crawl up Dal@ss @ss and make them the favorite, it doesn't mean it's going to happen.  Gruden read the same BS last year and used it as motivation and he'll do it again next year.  Hopefully history repeats itself in terms of results.  

I dont disagree that we have only had 1 good year but...

First off DJax is not injury prone.  He missed 1 game in 2014.  He missed 0 in 2013.  Second, the Cowboys wont neccessarily be a contender next year, another myth.  Who has won the most division titles in the east in the last 5 years? The redskins, with 2.  The Cowboys have won it once.  How in the WORLD do we look at a Cowboys team that has made the playoffs ONCE in the past 6 years and think they are all that good?  Because even on a Redskins forum for some reason we buy Jerry Jones lies.

Come on people, use your heads.  The legitimate critique in this is our schedule is really hard this coming year.  But the rest was drivel.

In 8 years, DJax has played 2 full seasons. Reed never has.

Dez had missed 5 games in 5 years (at the beginning of his career), going into this season, in which he played most of.

Romo has missed 9 games in 9 years, going into this one.

Romo and Dez have no injury prone history. It's a given DJax and Reed will miss games. They always do.

The schedule being "harder" for us, is a joke. It's basically the same as every other team in the east and we knew it long before this year. There is also no way to tell who will be the best.

*this article is garbage, let me make a thread and talk about it* or *Cowboys get picked as favorite in division with no consistent annual winner every year, still get upset about it, despite proving nothing*

I don't understand how these article bother people.

We're building, we should win the East again, then we will be the favorite. Okay, that's easy. 

Nice strawman.  Did you even read what I wrote?  Do you understand that "neglect" is not the same as "do nothing"?  If we had literally "done nothing", all our O-line would be guys in their 40s.

Strawman? This is what you wrote:

Can we stop using that as an excuse?   We were garbage at those positions both before and after the injuries.  That's what happens when you neglect the O-line and waste picks on hype for 15 years.

Pretty ridiculous statement on your part.

The Redskins line was anything but "garbage" this year. Not the '91 Hogs, no, but if you are demanding the '91 Hogs every year, you will be disappointed pretty much every year. They were special for a reason.

And yes "neglect" and "do nothing" can be the same thing. When you are "neglecting" something, you are "doing nothing" about it.

So why don't you tell us what you mean by "waste picks on hype for 15 years". :rolleyes::)

The "tougher schedule" is such a fallacy..   there's only two games on the schedule that are not already determined for years in advance. We've known which inter-conference teams we will play and which inter-divisional teams we will play for several years.

So those two games that are not division or cross-divisional/conference games are it.

I refuse to believe that 2 games on the schedule makes that much of a difference...  oh ,, we'd have made it except for two really hard opponents... i don't buy it,

Look at us this year.. we had a last place schedule, and played Carolina and New England anyway.

The "last place schedule" can't control how good the predetermined opponnets will be. This time last year Carolina on the schedule looked tough, but not Super Bowl almost-undefeated caliber tough.

I think this article fails to take into account our new GM and what he has shown to be capable of not only in the past, but here as well.

we had an outstanding draft. Our free agent pickups were by and large positive moves, ESPECIALLY our in-season moves, which folks fail to look at when determining our success on the FA market..  if you don't factor Mason Foster or Will Blackmon into the equation, you're missing two of the most important moves we made.

Our offense got healthyy in the second half of the season, AND so did our defense, not in small part due to the outstanding play of a previously unemployed Foster and a roster occupier in Compton.

I see no reason at all why anyone should not believe based on numerous successes that McCloughan won't be able to identify the players available who can best help us with current needs.

And given the success we saw this year with well-meshed players following a coaching staff that got the best out of them, I think it's foolish and ridiculous to write them off in February.

The Redskins are a team on the rise,, and finally, not because of any rhinestone glitz or promise of superstar flash,,,   we are working hard,  making the smart moves, and it's showing on the field.

It shall continue to rise.

In fact, if we're not favored in the division, i'd probably take exception to that as well.

~Bang

Amen!  I think SM will do another great job in FA and the draft and the Skins will have a stronger offense.  The author talks about health issues and then fails to recognize the Skins did have health issues with Jackson and Reed last season and managed to make the playoffs.  Nothing is guaranteed, the author's scenario is certainly possible but I'm taking the over I expect continued improvement and +10 wins.  As for the Cowboy's their QB has a history of injuries not so with Cousins.

In 8 years, DJax has played 2 full seasons. Reed never has.

Dez had missed 5 games in 5 years (at the beginning of his career), going into this season, in which he played most of.

romoSUCKS has missed 9 games in 9 years, going into this one.

romoSUCKS and Dez have no injury prone history. It's a given DJax and Reed will miss games. They always do.

The schedule being "harder" for us, is a joke. It's basically the same as every other team in the east and we knew it long before this year. There is also no way to tell who will be the best.

*this article is garbage, let me make a thread and talk about it* or *Cowboys get picked as favorite in division with no consistent annual winner every year, still get upset about it, despite proving nothing*

I don't understand how these article bother people.

We're building, we should win the East again, then we will be the favorite. Okay, that's easy. 

Since I started the thread, I will answer the why I did. It's not like I am pissed or even surprised. I thought this being a Redskins message board and this was news about the Redskins, I thought this might the right place for the discussion. I am sorry it does not meet your requirements for a discussion worthy thread but others have.

As for romo, he has only started all 16 games 5 of 10 yrs. Also, there have been many times he should have sat out, but give him credit for sticking it out. But it never helped them. They stayed mired in mediocrity except for 2014 when they had Demarco Murray. Also, the previious seasons he basically choked on the final gm to get into the POs. Until this season jackson only missed 10gms in 7 season (5 in one year)  but 5 were in one season alone. Since coming with us, he had only missed 1 gm in 32 until this season. So he is no more or less injury prone than romo. You can't use games for one player and then use seasons for the other. 

I find it ironic that the team who has won 2 of the last 4 Divs is said to be an absolute lock to miss the POs when you have two teams in totally disarray the other with major question marks on both Off (returning QB, #1 WR) and on D where they don't have enough cap room to keep the few play makers they have.

I find it ironic that the team who has won 2 of the last 4 Divs is said to be an absolute lock to miss the POs when you have two teams in totally disarray the other with major question marks on both Off (returning QB, #1 WR) and on D where they don't have enough cap room to keep the few play makers they have.

See, this is where you have to read the article for what it is. The headline "4 teams that won't make the playoffs again" is a poor one.  The first paragraph indicates that the article will discuss which of the 4 playoff teams in 2015 are least likely to make the playoffs again. "Least likely" does not mean "absolute lock." 

Now, you can argue with the "Jackson and Reed are injury prone" statement.......I think when making predictions, one should assume that the players on the roster will be healthy, and yes, if one makes the injury argument on them, you certainly have to make it for Romo as well. I do find that part disingenuous,

Again, at this point, the one 2015 playoff team that perhaps should've taken the place of the Redskins was the Vikings. Solid defense, but, aside from AP, big question marks on the offense.

I don't agree with the article at all. I think it's not worth discussing and I hate that I keep checking this thread out of boredom.

But to dismiss the injury history of our players or act surprised that the Cowboys are played the favorite, is ludicrous.

Oh, we've won 2 of the last 4 division titles. Yep and won 7 games in between them, while the Cowboys have had what? 1 losing season in a decade? Yeah, real difficult to see why they're the favorites.

Since our last SB, we've won the division 3 times. Cowboys have won it 9 times and been to 3 SBs. How is this a shock that everyone picks them?

Since our last SB, we've won the division 3 times. Cowboys have won it 9 times and been to 3 SBs. How is this a shock that everyone picks them?

KB, the Cowboys 3 SBs occurred right after our last SB title, which is now 25 years old.  Those Lombardis are irrelevant in predictions for 2016.

Having said that, since Romo has been their QB, the Cowboys have been overhyped to be sure, but have largely at least been in contention for the division title until the very end of the season, at least in the years that he's been healthy.

I think the Redskins and Cowboys should be preseason co-favorites in the division this season.

See, this is where you have to read the article for what it is. The headline "4 teams that won't make the playoffs again" is a poor one.  The first paragraph indicates that the article will discuss which of the 4 playoff teams in 2015 are least likely to make the playoffs again. "Least likely" does not mean "absolute lock." 

Now, you can argue with the "Jackson and Reed are injury prone" statement.......I think when making predictions, one should assume that the players on the roster will be healthy, and yes, if one makes the injury argument on them, you certainly have to make it for romoSUCKS as well. I do find that part disingenuous,

Again, at this point, the one 2015 playoff team that perhaps should've taken the place of the Redskins was the Vikings. Solid defense, but, aside from AP, big question marks on the offense.

I did read the article, quite clearly. While the title says least likely, they continue as if it's virtually impossible for us to go again. That may just be my perception but that's how I read it. But OK, I will play along, I still fail to see how we are "least" likely when the other teams in our division are either in completely disarray with new HCs and the other has key players coming back from injury. the most critical coming back from a serious injury, and oh BTW. he was playing like **** when he was in.

I also agree outside the division, there are probably not candidates.

I don't agree with the article at all. I think it's not worth discussing and I hate that I keep checking this thread out of boredom.

But to dismiss the injury history of our players or act surprised that the Cowboys are played the favorite, is ludicrous.

Oh, we've won 2 of the last 4 division titles. Yep and won 7 games in between them, while the Cowboys have had what? 1 losing season in a decade? Yeah, real difficult to see why they're the favorites.

There are mods who decide if something is thread worthy or not. I start very, very few threads. I wanted to discuss this. Where else than a Redskins discussion board!!!!   Again, I am sorry it doesn't meet your standards of worth being discussed. There is a simple answer, don't read and don't respond.

But since you did, yes dallast has won more regular season games and div. But most of the good season and their SBs you mention were in the 5 yrs after 1991. Their last was 1996!!  This makes those wins completely irrelevant to 2016.

They have been over hyped by a biased media. That is not going to change. But this season is especially BS.They were 4-12 lat year. Yes, 2014 they were 12-4. And what did they do with it! Nothing!  Before that, they were in contention, and then lost the play in game 3 times in a row!!!  With all those increased regular season games they have exactly one more PO win than us. How is that better than winning 2 Divs in the most recent 4 yrs!

Also, someone else made the point that they call out our potential injuries as a problem, yet those guys were injured this year and we still made the POs. If dallast was that much better, shouldn't they have done better, even with their injuries? Next man up, right?? That's what they said about us.

We may fall flat on our faces this year. But to come out 2 days after the SB and proclaim us to be least likely to make it to the POs is arrogant and stupid.

Archived