Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

USA Today: Redskins among 4 teams that won't make the Playoffs in 2016

goskins10

Okay, we win the weakest division after 7 wins in two years and don't get picked as unquestioned favorites. Yeah, that's real unfair.

I'm done, continue being outraged.

I never said we should be the unquestioned favorites. Where did I say that? Please don't exaggerate. Nor am I outraged...  Jut making the point they wasted no time slamming us and we merit at least some consideration as having the ability to win the Div again.

So here are the teams that made the playoffs in 2015:

Carolina, Arizona, Minnesota, Washington, Green Bay, Seattle, Denver, New England, Cincinnati, Houston, Kansas City, Pittsburgh

Out of those 12 teams, which four of them are the least likely to make the playoffs in 2016?

For reference, for the past five seasons, here are teams that made the playoffs that did not make it back in the following year:

2014: Dallas, Detroit, Indy, Baltimore

2013: Kansas City, New Orleans, Philly, San Diego, San Francisco

2012: Minnesota, Washington, Houston, Baltimore, Atlanta

2011: New Orleans, Detroit, NY Giants, Pittsburgh

2010: Seattle, NY Jets, Indy, Philly, Kansas City, Chicago

What annoys me about these reviews is that while people whine about how other teams suffered through injuries no one talks about what the Redskins overcame and what it could mean.

We lost our starting safety.

Both starting cornerbacks.

Our left guard.

Our center.

Our middle linebacker.

Our third down running back (or co-starting running back)

Perhaps our best pass rushing linebacker.

Our starting wr and best deep threat (for half the season)

And every TE on the roster at one point, which is huge for our game plan and for Cousins. This is a team that could very well, and I'm expecting, to shut every cowboy loving mouth in and out of the media. I'm not scared of Romo or Dez, we have beaten them both at home and in Dallas. Get our running game on, and we will, tighten up our defense, and Scotty will, and we will roll with anyone on our schedule! Watch us kick some ass in 2016!

So here are the teams that made the playoffs in 2015:

Carolina, Arizona, Minnesota, Washington, Green Bay, Seattle, Denver, New England, Cincinnati, Houston, Kansas City, Pittsburgh

Out of those 12 teams, which four of them are the least likely to make the playoffs in 2016?

For reference, for the past five seasons, here are teams that made the playoffs that did not make it back in the following year:

2014: Dallas, Detroit, Indy, Baltimore

2013: Kansas City, New Orleans, Philly, San Diego, San Francisco

2012: Minnesota, Washington, Houston, Baltimore, Atlanta

2011: New Orleans, Detroit, NY Giants, Pittsburgh

2010: Seattle, NY Jets, Indy, Philly, Kansas City, Chicago

Here are the NFCE teams:

Redskins, cowpukes, eagles, giants.  Why are we least likely to win the division again? They cite our potential for injuries and then assume romo and dez will came back and they will be the same team as in 2014. We actually still won our division with our injuries.

As I said before, I think that if you're going to identify four teams that are the least likely to repeat playoff berths, it helps to also identify four teams that would take their place.

From reading the article, it appears the author has Houston as the most likely overall team not to repeat, probably due to their uncertainty at QB, and you would assume that Luck will be healthy and return to form and that Indy will win the AFCS.

Otherwise, in the AFC, who would replace Cincy and KC?  Maybe Baltimore returns to form, and perhaps the Jets take the next step as well, although does anyone have that much confidence in Fitzpatrick?  It'll also be interesting to see if Brock Ostweiler can get the job done over a full season, even with that great defense in Denver.

In the NFC, even though I think Minnesota should be more of a candidate than the Skins for dropping off, its tough to pick a NFC team who will rise up, other than Dallas.  Atlanta maybe, although they really dropped off after a good start.

As I said before, I think that if you're going to identify four teams that are the least likely to repeat playoff berths, it helps to also identify four teams that would take their place.

In this case, it's as simple as identifying the team which will win the NFC East in our place.  The division hasn't had a wild card since 2009 and I don't see that changing this year.

Overall, its nothing more than a guess as to who will make/miss the paloffs next season. No one knows for sure, there's no magic crystal ball, nostradamas is sitting on a beach somewhere sipping Long Island Ice Teas, and the almighty has better things to do than delve into topics like this.

Reality is, it depends what the coaches, GM, and players desire. Their output and drive to be better will determine if they make the playoffs and keep going or not. 2012, Griffin had the team and the fans at the edge of their seats, then a disappointing loss to Seattle, then next season drama hypnotized the team; it seemed that players were waiting for Griffin to carry them, but drama ****-slapped that notion across the face.

Now, there's a new QB, a different coach, a different GM, and its a wait-n-see thing. If the players ride the coattails of Cousins, the team will go nowhere; if the players take it upon themselves to be their own star and put their best effort 100% of the time, then this team will surely be better than last year. This is where the head coach plays the biggest part; its his chance to get into players' heads and drive them harder, challenge them more, raise the bar and demand they reach it.

Personally, I think they will be more even overall; I doubt it will take a 6 game winning streak to reach post-season, they will be more consistent, and if the defense and running game can come back to life, then they will go a lot further than last year.

How can anyone make any predications at this point in time. The Draft is two months away FA hasn't 

begun and if you look at our GM, McCoughen is one of the best GMs in the business and seeing what he's done last year theres no doubt we will be better next year. We will be deeper in all positions so 

Injuries won't be as devastating as in the past.

Here are the NFCE teams:

Redskins, cowpukes, eagles, giants.  Why are we least likely to win the division again? They cite our potential for injuries and then assume romoSUCKS and dez will came back and they will be the same team as in 2014. We actually still won our division with our injuries.

Because a healthy Romo and Dez Bryant means the Cowboys will continue to win the division, just like they've done over the last 5-6 years.

So Reed and Jackson are injury prone, but Romo and Dez aren't? The entire Cowboys team falls apart without those 2. With a whoIe season under his belt, some confidence and going into the offseason as the starter, I think Kirk could be productive without Reed and Jackson. 

As of right now, our schedule looks tough for next year. And we haven't had back to back winning seasons in a long time. But we've broke a lot of trends lately. I have faith we can keep that going. 

So Reed and Jackson are injury prone, but romoSUCKS and Dez aren't? The entire Cowboys team falls apart without those 2.

Actually even with both of them they go 8-8 at best without having the league leading RB.

We just won the division with one of the worst running games in the league.

What annoys me about these reviews is that while people whine about how other teams suffered through injuries no one talks about what the Redskins overcame and what it could mean.

We lost our starting safety.

Both starting cornerbacks.

Our left guard.

Our center.

Our middle linebacker.

Our third down running back (or co-starting running back)

Perhaps our best pass rushing linebacker.

Our starting wr and best deep threat (for half the season)

The Redand I'm probably forgetting a few. ...

Inital #1 TE Niles Paul and #1 blocking TE Logan Paulson

For those saying that this years strength of schedule is not really that much worse, here is some proof you are right:

The 2016 SOS came out and we are ranked with 17th hardest schedule, not exactly murders row! http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25485818/nfl-strength-of-schedule-49ers-falcons-at-no-1-packers-at-no-32

At this time last year, of course basing it off or 2014, our SOS going into the season was 20th. Only 3 spots different. I cannot find the final 2015 SOS but I don't think it's that much different. The Panther had a better than expected record but both the cowpukes and eagles had much worse records.   http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25066031/2015-nfl-strength-of-schedule-steelers-at-no-1-falcons-at-no-32

Further to their point, we only have 2 different teams on our schedule. So it can only be so much different.

Here are the NFCE teams:

Redskins, cowpukes, eagles, giants. Why are we least likely to win the division again? They cite our potential for injuries and then assume romoSUCKS and dez will came back and they will be the same team as in 2014. We actually still won our division with our injuries.

This assumption by prognosticators that a Cowboys team with a healthy Romo and Dez is seemingly guaranteed for 10+ wins is absurd. Is Jason Garrett still coaching? Is Demarco Murray gonna come back and touch it 400 times? Over/under on how many games Sean Lee misses?

Forget them, they're still the Cowboys.

Archived