Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Clinton Portis Bankrupt

capcrunch98

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2015/12/18/clinton-portis-bankruptcy/77574350/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2015/12/22/clinton-portis-sets-the-record-straight-on-his-bankruptcy-case/

He made $43 million in his playing days, and now lists $150 in his checking account.  He's owned 8 houses, owes money to four women for "domestic support obligations", and like a lot of other pro athletes he apparently made a bunch of investments in a bunch of projects he didn't understand.

Not surprised, but I do feel bad for him, as he seemed like a good guy and gave some great years to this team.  I do hope that someday we'll be reading a similar story about Albert Haynesworth.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2015/12/18/clinton-portis-bankruptcy/77574350/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2015/12/22/clinton-portis-sets-the-record-straight-on-his-bankruptcy-case/

He made $43 million in his playing days, and now lists $150 in his checking account.  He's owned 8 houses, owes money to four women for "domestic support obligations", and like a lot of other pro athletes he apparently made a bunch of investments in a bunch of projects he didn't understand.

Not surprised, but I do feel bad for him, as he seemed like a good guy and gave some great years to this team.  I do hope that someday we'll be reading a similar story about Albert Haynesworth.

Haynesworth do something to you personally?  It's pathetic to wish this on anyone....

Haynesworth do something to you personally?  It's pathetic to wish this on anyone....

I'm not wishing the guy sickness or harm, but I wouldn't lose sleep if he lost all the money he admittedly stole from my favorite football team.  If that gets me booted off your Christmas card list, I'll live...

I remember watching his MTV cribs. He had some statue of himself made so he could appreciate his former body when he got old. As someone who briefly met him and rooted for him on and off the field, the whole thing was cringe-worthy. Actually surprised it took this long.

This sort of thing i do not care about.

I'm a fan of the team and it's players and former players.

Not their personal lives. None of my business.

My interest is strictly on the field and if there is off the field, it is connected to the team.

Example,, i enjoy Portis on the radio talking about the Redskins. His personal problems don't interest me.

i wish him the best, but I feel as if his life being that open has to be embarrassing, and because he was  great Redskin, i would rather not embarrass him.

~Bang

I thnk people need to listen to that 980 interview from yesterday before the usual responses that come in situations like this

This.

Snyder ought to give him a job reporting on the Skins

980 actually had him on standby earlier this season in case Cooley signed with a team. And he still does a Monday segment with Cooley on 980 along with a Monday morning recap show with Cooley on CSN.

I listened to the entire conversation with him on 980 yesterday.

It comes down to typical athlete problems we've all been reading about for years. They make so much money and they have zero financial management ability. as such they trust someone (they don't actually know) to manage their money for them.

they don't read the paperwork. they don't keep the paperwork. they pay 10k a month in a mortgage on a house they paid cash for to begin with, and should have owed nothing, for three years before they figure it out.

Yes. Athletes get taken advantage of. Because they're an easy mark. I have a hard time feeling bad for someone who makes millions of dollars and has to file for bankruptcy because they couldn't keep track of it. Yeah, poor you. Keeping track of your millions was just so hard. Maybe if you had more time off a year you could have spent some time managing it over your 10+ year career.

O wait...

oh also, meeting the guy running the investment you dumped a bunch of money in exclusively at strip clubs should be a red flag.

I listened to the entire conversation with him on 980 yesterday.

It comes down to typical athlete problems we've all been reading about for years. They make so much money and they have zero financial management ability. as such they trust someone (they don't actually know) to manage their money for them.

they don't read the paperwork. they don't keep the paperwork. they pay 10k a month in a mortgage on a house they paid cash for to begin with, and should have owed nothing, for three years before they figure it out.

Yes. Athletes get taken advantage of. Because they're an easy mark. I have a hard time feeling bad for someone who makes millions of dollars and has to file for bankruptcy because they couldn't keep track of it. Yeah, poor you. Keeping track of your millions was just so hard. Maybe if you had more time off a year you could have spent some time managing it over your 10+ year career.

O wait...

oh also, meeting the guy running the investment you dumped a bunch of money in exclusively at strip clubs should be a red flag.

This isnt about whether or not people should feel sorry for him. Portis sure as hell doesn't want anyone to feel sorry for him. He's not a bum living under a bridge.

He's doing fine. And just by listening to him, I can tell that he's learned a lot since he hung up his cleats. Certain people live to puff their chest out whenever we get stories like this, damn near expressing glee, born out of some kind of jealousy, or a feeling that they didn't work hard to earn what they got.

Portis admitted his carelessness, and wanted his story to be heard, as a cautionary tale for young 20-22 year old athletes, when it comes to trusting certain people and entities with their money.

He seems to be in a good place, and I'm happy for him.

I remember watching his MTV cribs. He had some statue of himself made so he could appreciate his former body when he got old. As someone who briefly met him and rooted for him on and off the field, the whole thing was cringe-worthy. Actually surprised it took this long.

and now it's been sold off to Anderson Cooper for the feels. Bad times.....

I find it hard to judge a kid that comes from no money that ends up spending/investing their new fortune stupidly. I remember making a mere fraction of what Portis did playing online poker and spending it stupidly. Early 20s living in the moment. He just did it on a much grander scale because he had that much more money. Young people typically do stupid things and learn from them. It sounds like he did and he's not throwing a pity party about it, so that's good enough for me.

The player unions in major sports need to do a much better job of providing financial services and education but they also need to step up to include proactive tracking of known predators.  I find it hard to believe that all these athletes end up with such similar stories and that in every instance its some entirely unrelated scam artist that is meeting a pro athlete he can swindle for the first time. 

I find it hard to believe that all these athletes end up with such similar stories and that in every instance its some entirely unrelated scam artist that is meeting a pro athlete he can swindle for the first time. 

Dude, these same type of clowns stand outside military bases to try to scam the 400-500 a month than newb E1s and E2s make so I can't imagine the level that goes on in the NFL.

The player unions in major sports need to do a much better job of providing financial services and education but they also need to step up to include proactive tracking of known predators.  I find it hard to believe that all these athletes end up with such similar stories and that in every instance its some entirely unrelated scam artist that is meeting a pro athlete he can swindle for the first time. 

You can't fix what you can't fix.  Justin Blackmon, Ryan Leaf.  They won't listen.  It's sad, but it is the reality.  Not every business deal is a predator.  You get startups, they fail.  Players get caught up in the process. 

I don't get how people burn through multi millions of dollars.  I really don't.  How much stupid **** does one need to buy?  Don't you think common sense would prevail at some point?  Like, oh wait I only have $2 million left from the $80 million I had.  Better slow down.

My girlfriend calls me cheap sometimes.  It's like damn babe I'd rather have my $70,000 in the bank and not be broke get real.  The day I go on $10,000 shopping sprees is the day I lose my sense.

I feel badly for CP and any other player who goes through this type of situation.

with that being said, every year, for quite a long time now, there's a thing called the rookie symposium; its a meeting/discussion/play on what players who come into 'new money' and how friends, family members, and business entrepreneurs with a pipe dream or scam come out of the woodwork knocking on their doors with their hands open.

Its sad to see how people can be so damned lowlife and scandalous to pull crap like this, but its been happening since money was invented. These symposiums talk about real life examples, so these players are well aware of whats to come, but you can only lead a horse to water.

Its sad because even financial advisors are crooks too; that's what I was hoping would have happened to Haynesworth, someone relieve him of a chunk of what he relieved this team from, but the team is just as much at fault, so who do you blame?

Fact is, the only one to blame is the players themselves; yes we feel bad for a player when it happens, that wealth can really mess with a mind, But it also helps quite a bit to restrain oneself from procreating [ making babies ] to avoid these humongous child support/alimony payments that judges dole out.

It comes to a point where if a player just doesn't get it, he has to learn the hard way. Its reality, its life, you hope they make the right choices in life but there comes a time where you have to let them learn on their own, just like with our children.

I'm not wishing the guy sickness or harm, but I wouldn't lose sleep if he lost all the money he admittedly stole from my favorite football team.  If that gets me booted off your Christmas card list, I'll live...

Got no one petty on my X-mas card list, so you got nothing to worry about. 

*edit*

I didn't hear the 980 interview, but I'd be curious to know why Portis decided to invest/trust his money with the people who ended up stealing from him and if there were any other athletes who had their money tied up as well. 

Archived