Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AZCentral: Creationist Sylvia Allen to lead Arizona Senate education panel

China

Creationist Sylvia Allen to lead Arizona Senate education panel

One of the best-known lightning rods in the Arizona Legislature will now help shape the future of education.

Senate President Andy Biggs named Sen. Sylvia Allen, R-Snowflake, chairwoman of the Senate Education Committee. Allen replaces Kelli Ward, who resigned the Senate earlier this month to focus on her congressional run.

Allen is best known for her controversial public comments over the years. During a legislative hearing in 2009, she said the Earth is 6,000 years old, a belief held by "Young Earth" biblical creationists. In 2013, a Facebook post about chem-trailconspiracies gained widespread media attention, as did a March comment suggesting mandatory church attendance.

Last year, Navajo County Sheriff K.C. Clark accused Allen of trying to interfere with a criminal investigation of her son-in-law.

Allen, who graduated from Snowflake High School and did not attend college, is co-founder of George Washington Academy, an EdKey, Inc. charter school in Snowflake.

Click on the link for the full article

Ugh, I'd like to believe she can set aside her beliefs and focus on ensuring the best, most scientifically sound, education curriculum possible, but I'm not optimistic.

I guess we'll just have to revisit this in a couple years, after things will have thankfully worked out, or it'll be too late.

Ugh, I'd like to believe she can set aside her beliefs and focus on ensuring the best, most scientifically sound, education curriculum possible, but I'm not optimistic.

No doubt some local fisherman, out for a pleasure cruise, at night, in eel-infested waters.

religious influence via school boards is frightening to me.

especially when you start to read about how textbooks are picked by other states... (unless that model is now outdated?) then you start to realize your kid might wind up reading some bull**** book someone in some other district picked for religious reasons.

i'm conflicted on god, but i'm pretty sure in my disdain for organized religion.

I'm sure all of the folks who were OK with the writing assignment that promoted Islam will be fine with this appointment as well.  You know, because there won't be any bias when a teacher sends home a 'religious' assignment. ;)

Yes because one teacher who assigned one assignment to write a phrase in arabic is exactly the same as an avowed young earth creationist and conspiracy theorist being in charge of an entire state's education decisions.

Yes because one teacher who assigned one assignment to write a phrase in arabic is exactly the same as an avowed young earth creationist and conspiracy theorist being in charge of an entire state's education decisions.

That assignment, as it was often pointed out in the other thread, came out of a work book.  So unless she's the only teacher to have that workbook or all the others showed better judgement the one time thing seems unlikely.  Even so I'll grant you that assignment was a small thing and this is bigger.  A person with no educational background, a belief in conspiracy theories, and a young earth would certainly appears entirely unqualified to head an education committee 

That fact that she is heading that committee however isn't much of a surprise.  We can't pretend our schools aren't a political battleground or that they haven't been for some time.  This isn't anything new, we've never placed being impartial above all else when it comes to kids.  Not in any time I can remember.  We want them to be educated the right way or, in other words, raised to see things our way. 

Think you are giving the position more authority than it has while relegating a key tenet to just a phrase

Freedom  :D

Putting aside the probability of her leveraging the position to push her religion... she did not graduate college and is going to lead the education panel. Good job, Arizona.

Should that be a prerequisite?

This is not as bad as having a creationist in charge of the House Science Committee.

But he has several degrees and is a Yale man......you folk are hard to please  :P

if you were better educated ya would know there is no conflict between science and creationism .....I'll send ya a pamphlet ;)  

It's a fairly common problem in general. Morons who think they know it all when really their scope of knowledge is minimal at best or completely absent in general. It's often on full display in lots of threads here.

Sometimes these people get elected to public office. Sucks but you get what you vote for.

if you were better educated ya would know there is no conflict between science and creationism .....I'll send ya a pamphlet ;)  

Please do PM me a pamphlet about how there is no conflict between science and this lady's young-earth creationism.

(Preview: Rhetorical distraction proffered in said pamphlet's absence.)

Please do PM me a pamphlet about how there is no conflict between science and this lady's young-earth creationism.

(Preview: Rhetorical distraction proffered in said pamphlet's absence.)

Who needs pamphlets? All the answers you need are here.

http://creationmuseum.org/

Similar to the episode of The Simpsons where Bart was shown to have average intelligence when he was younger, we as a country are undergoing the Umuricun dumbening.

It reminds me of the movie Idiocracy

Archived