Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

Just now, twa said:

still waiting on you to clarify that hispanic voting post 

The original post was clear.  

No, I'm not going to help you spend the next four hours with your "but I don't understand why your post doesn't say what I want to pretend it says" routine.  

• Haha 2

CBP is set up to protect the border, deal with terrorists and perceived threats to America. It shouldn't be a surprise when they appear to act with hostile intent. That's kinda their job. They're also supposed to facilitate the flow of trade and travel but the first part of their mission is about protection and preventing terrorists and terrorist weapons crossing the border.

CIS are the folks who should be providing administration, asylum adjudication and immigration services.

I really wish this national conversation mirrored disaster relief, instead of this political sniping.  I’m not saying the sniping has no merit, it does, but right now literal children are in peril.  Open borders is not a real option, it’s pie in the sky and a utter waste of time.  There is no broad popular support for it, and there’s good reason for it.  It’s not workable with the way our government system is structured.  

So absent just letting everyone go, and ignoring enforcement entirely, what needs to happen to make the system work without turning into a national nightmare?  It would be amazing if our leaders could put their practical hats on, roll up their sleeves, and focus on fixing this unnecessary mess. 

Im starting to wonder if the US has treated detained persons so harshly, as a punitive measures, for so long that we just don’t have the institutional knowledge to detain anyone without treating them like utter garbage.  Maybe the only detention facilities we can produce are needlessly cruel.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Cooked Crack said:

Go ahead. I'll throw out a question. Do you feel dehumanized by AOC?

Well, I'm not a uniformed officer or agent, and I'm not stationed on the Southern Border, nor was I there when this whole thing happened, but I think the obvious answer here is no.  I actually like her, I think she comes off as incredibly smart and well-researched in her interviews.  I think she tends towards hyperbole but that makes her like every politician, and I don't hold that against her.

• Thanks 1

I felt it appropriate to make a post in this thread in honor of Independence Day.

As many of you know, I live in SoCal now after years of living in MD and the midwest. My perspective on this holiday has completely changed in the five years that I've lived here, and in a very positive way, as I've come to see it through the eyes of people who not only love but need this country. 

I live in a really crappy, industrial corner of North Hollywood with lots of low-rent (!) apartments, MS-13 graffiti, fruit trucks and mariachi music blasting out of every window. The families celebrate the 4th by turning the street into a colorful warzone. Firecrackers, sparklers, roman candles, mortars, it's just nuts. The cops always show up around 11 and there's always the potential for someone to lose a finger or go deaf. It's a great time.

The first 4th after Trump's election and months of "build the wall" sloganeering, I was feeling depressed because my patriotism was at an all-time low and I had been dreading the holiday for weeks in a Charlie Brown-esque stupor, but I tried to make the best of it. I took a walk by myself to take in some fireworks, bringing along my headphones to shield my ears. I've started doing this every year, with a very stereotypical American rock album in tow. That year, it was Born to Run.  Until Jungleland ran out, I watched impoverished Latino families blow up fireworks, taking in the expressions of my neighbors as their faces lit up around their many children. I realized that night that I hadn't seen the holiday from this angle before and instantly appreciated it in a new way.

See, the last July 4th before I moved was spent with my wife's family in Indiana. My recollection of that night was that there was a dick-measuring contest surrounding the fireworks display they had put together in her uncle's backyard. Things got out of hand, someone's kid got hit with shrapnel, and everything unraveled by about 9. The holiday wasn't so much a celebration of independence as an excuse for one stockpile fireworks and outdo some other well-to-do white family.

When I watch the modest, shambolic displays in SoCal every year, I have a different feeling. These Independence Day evenings, from the perspective of a San Fernando Valley immigrant family, serve as not only a vacation from endless work weeks, but a moment to appreciate the very real financial and political independence that these families experience by being afforded the opportunity to contribute to American society. And I see this not only in my Latino neighbors but in my Armenian and Arabic friends, who love this country like few others could. 

All of this is to say, as you go about celebrating the birth of our enormously influential and inspirational social beacon, if not its hopelessly screwed political system and bloated, disgusting leadership, please remember the people celebrating with you who love this holiday because their lives would be dramatically altered without it.

Edited by Bacon
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

5 hours ago, Forehead said:

Well, I'm not a uniformed officer or agent, and I'm not stationed on the Southern Border, nor was I there when this whole thing happened, but I think the obvious answer here is no.  I actually like her, I think she comes off as incredibly smart and well-researched in her interviews.  I think she tends towards hyperbole but that makes her like every politician, and I don't hold that against her.

She reminds me of Cruz.....kinda fun.at least not boring.