Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

This day in Redskins History: Hand of God Play

NewCliche21

It was November 5, 2006, and I remember it like it was nine years ago.  And yesterday.

My dad and I were pissed that we let the Cowboys go all the way down the field for the go-ahead field goal, so we started the long walk from the top of 402 down to the parking lot.  When Dallas was about to kick, I told my dad to wait and just watch it, because that's what fans do.

Except what we watched wasn't Dallas winning; it was the greatest play I'd ever seen live.

http://blog.redskins.com/2014/10/24/remembering-sean-taylors-block-field-goal-return/

Just remember that no matter what happens, we have amazing moments even during 5-11 seasons.

What are your guys' memories of this game?

I was in my normal club level seats and like you was resigned to the loss. Sitting next to a Cowboys fan (cool guy) who had somehow procured the seats next to mine for the Dallas game for several years. When Vincent blocked the kick I pumped my fist and yelled "Yeah! Yeah!"  Then I thought it was going to OT and........what's this.....a 15-yard face mask penalty?  Wow, the Skins are going to have a chance to win it!  Novak had missed a potential go-ahead FG with 35 seconds left, and who caught the Romo pass to move Dallas from our 45 to our 17.  That sequence made it all the more deflating before the "hand" intervened.

The Redskins had started the year 0-2, then 2-2, then 2-5, but that win gave some hope that it might propel us to the Gibbs magic that led us on the 5-0 run to the playoffs the previous season. The loss moved us to 3-5, Philly and Dallas were 4-4, with the Giants on top at 6-2. However, we got absolutely smoked 27-3 at Philly the next week in what was essentially Brunell's last game as a Skin.....we did not score an offensive TD in the divisional road games that season. Wound up finishing 5-11, while all three other divisional teams made the playoffs, with Philly having their own five-game streak to win the East and Romo having his "not-so-hand-of-God" playioff experience.

I remember being so pissed that we let the Cowboys get in field goal range that I left the room to go to the bathroom, having no desire to see them win it.  I could hear the TV while relieving myself of the several beers I seem to need to get through a divisional game, and when I heard Buck yell "It's blocked!" I ran out of the bathroom, barely getting my pants zippered. :) I screamed at Taylor on the TV to keep going, wondering why he cut inside on his return instead of heading up the sideline. I saw that there was a flag and held my breath until they announced it was on the kicking team, and literally fell to me knees waiting for Novac to kick it.  When it went through the uprights, I began running around my living room screaming like a mad man.  It took me two hours to come down from that high!

It was November 5, 2006, and I remember it like it was nine years ago.  And yesterday.

My dad and I were pissed that we let the Cowboys go all the way down the field for the go-ahead field goal

Only game I went to with my dad ... got that ending was such a blur.  good stuff NewCliche! 

One of, if not the, best moments for me at a game.

The end of the season finale against Dallas in 2012 is probably the only thing that compares.

The stadium when the ball went through the uprights on the un-timed down... i can't even describe it.

When the Cowboys started marching down the field, I was like this:

Al-bundy-ed-oneill-animated-gif-10.gif

When the Cowboys' field goal was blocked, I was like this:

surprised_4744991_GIFSoupcom_zps362c5b45

When Taylor started running the ball back, I was like this:

shocked-will-smith.gif

When the ref said the facemask penalty would add on another 15 yards to the return AND give the Redskins one play with no time on the clock, I was like this:

Dumb-and-Dumber-chance.gif

When Novak made the FG, I was like this:

faint-door-gif.gif

The next day I was trying to figure out our playoff odds lol...

I'm seemingly alone on this, but never understood why that game got so much love from fans. I understand that we beat Dallas in dramatic fashion, but the game probably doesn't even register on their radar. 

It's a fun memory, but ranks way below both 2005 wins, the 2007 win, both 2012 wins, etc. To me, it's on a par with last year's win on MNF, the Shanahan era-opening win on SNF in 2010, and maybe Zorn's win in Dallas in 2008. A decent win in an otherwise forgettable season. 

The stadium when the ball went through the uprights on the un-timed down... i can't even describe it.

Agreed. I will never forget that. 90,000 people going nuts, then having to try to control themselves/stay quiet for the kick....then from section 446 anyway the disappointment as it looked like it wasn't going in... then pure joy. 

For as much as the Redskins piss me off, that day is a reminder of why I love this. 

I remember the big pile of players at midfield right after we won and Renaldo Wynn standing there screaming, "YOU GOT TO BELIEEEEEEEEEEEEEVE!!!!!! YOU GOT TO BELIEEEEEEEEEEEEEVE!!!!!!!"

Bom1HOXIgAAsr9o.jpg

I'm seemingly alone on this, but never understood why that game got so much love from fans. I understand that we beat Dallas in dramatic fashion, but the game probably doesn't even register on their radar. 

It's a fun memory, but ranks way below both 2005 wins, the 2007 win, both 2012 wins, etc. To me, it's on a par with last year's win on MNF, the Shanahan era-opening win on SNF in 2010, and maybe Zorn's win in Dallas in 2008. A decent win in an otherwise forgettable season. 

I think a lot of it stems from the fact that for years and years (starting with the Clint Longley game, to the 79 game, to the Vinny Testverde game, to the Rocket Ismail game) of Dallass snatching victory from defeat against us in the most painful ways possible. This was one time we were able to turn the tables on them.  The one time they felt our pain.

Only because it was the Cowboys and because of Sean Taylor's involvement in the play.

I would rank it above the 2007 win though.  The fact that the Cowboys were pulling folks early in the second half of that one indicates how much they really cared about winning that game.

I think a lot of it stems from the fact that for years and years (starting with the Clint Longley game, to the 79 game, to the Vinny Testverde game, to the Rocket Ismail game) of Dallass snatching victory from defeat against us in the most painful ways possible. This was one time we were able to turn the tables on them.  The one time they felt our pain.

That too.  Actually, the 2010 MNF opener was really funny........I like watching the You Tube clips of the Cowboy folks watching at home all excited when romoSUCKS threw what they thought was the GWTD, then having Al Michaels mention the yellow flag.........

Only because it was the Cowboys and because of Sean Taylor's involvement in the play.

I would rank it above the 2007 win though.  The fact that the Cowboys were pulling folks early in the second half of that one indicates how much they really cared about winning that game.

Right, but if we lost that 2007 game we miss out on the playoffs. That alone makes it much more significant to me. 

I'm confused...is there a limit to how many Redskins games we can show love towards?...And is it necessary for Cowboys fans to be on board with it before we do?

I'm confused...is there a limit to how many Redskins games we can show love towards?...And is it necessary for Cowboys fans to be on board with it before we do?

I don't think I said that. 

I just said that I'm confused why this one is brought up but other random wins in crappy seasons aren't. I'm not saying I don't like the game or didn't get excited when we won, it just doesn't seem any more significant to me than when we beat the Eagles 10-3 under Zorn or beat the Giants 23-10 in 2011. It was a game that ultimately had no impact on our season our one of our rival's season. 

Not trying to rain on any parades, just curious what differentiates this game from some of the others. I'm with you...I personally like all of our wins!

I don't think I said that. 

I just said that I'm confused why this one is brought up but other random wins in crappy seasons aren't. I'm not saying I don't like the game or didn't get excited when we won, it just doesn't seem any more significant to me than when we beat the Eagles 10-3 under Zorn or beat the Giants 23-10 in 2011. It was a game that ultimately had no impact on our season our one of our rival's season. 

Not trying to rain on any parades, just curious what differentiates this game from some of the others. I'm with you...I personally like all of our wins!

I think a lot of "random" games, even in crappy seasons, get brought up. But this one, everyone has to admit, was a VERY wild ending. Three FG attempts in the last 50 seconds of the game lol...15 yards added onto the return due to penalty, and the rules allowing the Skins to try one more FG attempt even though zero seconds remained on the clock.

A game like that, yeah, it gets brought up regardless of whether or not it was part of a playoff season, whether or not other games in our recent past had more significance, and regardless of whether or not the opposing team's fans felt the same way about it.

I remember thinking that the penalty was a gift. 

The ultra-blatant facemask was a gift?  He literally did it in space to the ball carrier and turned the player's head.  There's not much more he could've done to deserve the penalty.

1)  Beat Dallas

2)  Last second win

3)  Blocked field goal

4)  Barely squeaked in the winning field goal

5)  Actually a bonus play due to penalty

6)  Stole a win

Any of those make it a memorable game.  Put them all together and it's unforgettable.

I was working in a safeway and had a radio in the back loading area. Signal went in and out every once in a while, but I heard the whole thing (block to the Novak game winner). Apparently even in the back some people could hear me being, um, happy with the results.

Archived