Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

This day in Redskins History: Hand of God Play

NewCliche21

Right, but if we lost that 2007 game we miss out on the playoffs. That alone makes it much more significant to me. 

Technically even if we had lost that game we would have made the playoffs based on other games going on at the same time.  Of course we didn't know that till after the game, but as it turned out we were in the playoffs regardless.

...A game like that, yeah, it gets brought up regardless of whether or not it was part of a playoff season, whether or not other games in our recent past had more significance, and regardless of whether or not the opposing team's fans felt the same way about it.

The 2005 Monday Night miracle in Dallas is the best Skins memory I have (besides the SBs and a few other games, of course). 

Offense has done nothing all game and suddenly, with less than 4 minutes left, noodle arm Brunnell throws 2 TDs, both caught by Santana Moss, and Sean Taylor finishes the last Dallas drive, creaming a RB when he catches the pass and the ball pops out 20 yards in the opposite direction because Taylor hit the guy so hard. Game over. That one is probably my favorite.

The Dallas fans were all dancing around and happy and 2 minutes later they were crushed. The video starts out with a stat about Parcells being 77-0 with a lead of 13 or more points in the 4th. I've never felt so happy to see a group of people so pissed off and crushed. It was nice to see them feel our pain in a very sharp way.

was at that game with my brother, and i think one of his friends, or one of my friends, was with us too. we were in the upper deck, and dallas fans were so sad leaving the stadium. it was hilarious.

also, i didnt realize that al michaels used to do monday night football and that it used to be on ABC instead of ESPN. when did gruden and the other dude start doing monday night games?

I admit I was a little surprised to see them throw the flag on the face mask brush, but nevertheless happy with it.

The GW kick was almost blocked by Dallas, but it somehow made it through and got over the crossbar. You can hear the absolute disgust in Buck's voice when it was over, also a great moment.

On a personal note, LOVED THE UNIFORMS !  No yellow pants.

was at that game with my brother, and i think one of his friends, or one of my friends, was with us too. we were in the upper deck, and dallas fans were so sad leaving the stadium. it was hilarious.

also, i didnt realize that al michaels used to do monday night football and that it used to be on ABC instead of ESPN. when did gruden and the other dude start doing monday night games?

I had to look it up.  It was 2006 when they moved it to ESPN.  Keith Jackson was original play by play the first year, then Frank Gifford did it from 1971 to 1986.  Then Al Michaels took over play by play in 1987.  The best MNF was in the 70s and 80s.  Look up some old MNF games on youtube and you can get an idea of what the telecasts were like back then.  I don't know if you know who Howard Cosell is, but he was a lawyer turned broadcaster who did a lot of sports telecasts for ABC back in the day.  He was a trip to listen to.  Oh, skip the late 90s when that "Dimwit" Dennis Miller was on air.  I wished Dan Fouts would have killed him and I think Dan "really" wanted to. 

I remember my puke fan brother-in-law stopped calling and suddenly wouldn't answer his phone :D

I remember my brother went to bed before the game was over. I believe it was when Brunell took that big sack, he gave up and went to bed, having to go to work.

He calls me the next morning "We ****ing won?!?", he said. "Yep", I said, still not believing it himself.

I remember a good deal of folks on this board did the same thing. Going to bed, when it was 13-0 with 5 minutes left, thinking it was over and a loss for the Redskins. Only to be shocked the next morning. :)

The 2005 Monday Night miracle in Dallas...

...and Sean Taylor finishes the last Dallas drive, creaming a RB when he catches the pass and the ball pops out 20 yards in the opposite direction because Taylor hit the guy so hard. Game over. That one is probably my favorite.

That's not actually how it ended lol...the Cowboys' drive you're talking about, Taylor smacked Crayton, not an RB, and it was on 3rd down so the drive didn't end with that play. On 4th Bledsoe hit Glenn who was immediately wrapped up by Walt Harris (who went on to become a Pro Bowler CB for the 49ers after that) and stopped him from gaining the 1st down.

The Skins took over on downs. Went 3-and-out, and punted.

The Cowboys had yet another drive, they tried to get into FG range but couldn't. They did that last-ditch "keep lateraling the ball" on the last play that never works for anyone, and it didn't work here either lol. Then it was game over.

I don't understand how someone could have gone to bed. Not from a "you abandoned your team" perspective, but more from a "I'm not going to fall right to sleep anyway because we are going to be shut out by Dallas on national TV and I'm pretty pissed" perspective. Even bad games...it takes me a little while to come down and be ready to fall asleep. 

Funny, Brunell had more rushing yards on one play than Cousins has all season so far,,,,

Also funny that Brunell probably never threw another pass longer than 5 yards after that game.

That's not actually how it ended lol...Then it was game over.

Eh, so my memory suck and my over emotional completely rational link to Sean Taylor clouded that actual events and made it look like he was a super hero.

Honestly, it's possible that I was so excited that he his that guy (who I apparently thought was a RB) that I didn't even see the next play (probably not, it's more than likely just my foggy memory).  :lol:

The Skins saved from the inevitable defeat they'd built for 55 minutes, then crushed Dallas fans, and Gibbs laughing and jumping up and down like he was a toddler who'd just had about 60 pounds of sugar fed straight into his veins.

i remember games. i remember plays. and the hand of god was the most memorable because it involved Sean Taylor. I had tears of happiness as I laid on my floor. prior to that I was on my knees. so it was not a far fall.

and skins fans know, when our record speaks for itself. there is only 2 games that matter. at dallas and against dallas.

hail

Archived