Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dyson sphere discovered?

Corcaigh

How to build a Dyson Sphere in five easy steps

And what would you do with the energy?

Well, it's very possible that our appetite for computational power will become quite insatiable. It's hard to predict what a post-Singularity or post-biological civilization would do with so much computation power. Some ideas include ancestor simulations, or even creating virtual universes within universes. In addition, an advanced civilization may simply want to create as many positive individual experiences as possible (a kind of utilitarian imperative). Regardless, digital existence appears to be in our future, so computation will eventually become our most valuable and sought after resource.

They are saying that it may be a group of comets or even a broken up planet. However, they have also not ruled out a Dyson Sphere. The scientists who found it, said that aliens should always be the last possibility you consider. They are requesting additional telescope time to do some other observations. I have to admit, it would be pretty dang cool if it was. Discovering an alien race might actually bring humanity together. I freely admit, I think there are other species out there. I think that we discover that evidence sooner rather than later. Not saying we have had visitors here, just that there is other intelligent life out there.

I'm riffing off your comment on bringing humanity together, which I mostly agree with.

I've always found it to be the greatest contradiction though - if we are in fact alone and the only "intelligent" life in the universe, we are willing to kill ourselves, wage wars, nuke the planet, and erase humankind. Yet finding extraterrestrial life would get us to stop and find solidarity among us.

Added - basically, it should be the other way around.

I'm riffing off your comment on bringing humanity together, which I mostly agree with.

I've always found it to be the greatest contradiction though - if we are in fact alone and the only "intelligent" life in the universe, we are willing to kill ourselves, wage wars, nuke the planet, and erase humankind. Yet finding extraterrestrial life would get us to stop and find solidarity among us.

Added - basically, it should be the other way around.

An alien race would bring the world together because it becomes an us vs. Them situation.

An alien race would bring the world together because it becomes an us vs. Them situation.

One would hope..  but figure this.. what would the discovery of an alien species do to the multitudes of religious faiths around the globe? It seems to me that many of them rely on the notion of man being flawed, but superior in that this is all made just for us.

Alien life, specifically alien life that would be either equal to or superior to us may cause a lot of people to either question their faith, or maybe question whether the role they have in God's cosmos is what they thought it was.

No doubt that would cause a lot of panic, a lot of despair.

and of course, the inevitable blaming of who is at fault for the predicament to begin with, or who is 'favored'...  I think before we can come together in the face of a common alien we will have to go through a lot of upheaval first.

Curious..  for our religious friends..  

what would the discovery of alien life that is either equal to us or superior to us mean to you in regards to your faith?

~Bang

i'll take: anything other than sophisticated alien civilization enclosing a star for fusion purposes

my only questions at this point are what is the prize and how long will it take to be declared correct?

Not sure where you'd get the materials to enclose a star, even if you could get close enough not to melt into plasma. Our sun is a relatively small star, and it would take mining millions of earths to enclose it.

what would the discovery of alien life that is either equal to us or superior to us mean to you in regards to your faith?

~Bang

I'm agnostic, but I'll throw this out there: I'd be really worried about God's decision making if we're the only species out there. I mean, you create this infinitely large space, and only create us to live in it? That's just terrible spatial planning right there. You wouldn't create an enormous apartment complex and just have 1 tenant.

That being said, I'm 100% sure that some advanced alien life exists out there. If only 1 in a billion stars has a planet, and if only 1 in a billion of those has a planet in the habitable zone, and if only 1 in a billion of those has life, then there are still millions or billions of civilizations out there. The simple truth is that even though life must assuredly exist out there, it's just too damn far, and we'll never meet them anyway.

I'm agnostic, but I'll throw this out there: I'd be really worried about God's decision making if we're the only species out there. I mean, you create this infinitely large space, and only create us to live in it? That's just terrible spatial planning right there. You wouldn't create an enormous apartment complex and just have 1 tenant.

That being said, I'm 100% sure that some advanced alien life exists out there. If only 1 in a billion stars has a planet, and if only 1 in a billion of those has a planet in the habitable zone, and if only 1 in a billion of those has life, then there are still millions or billions of civilizations out there. The simple truth is that even though life must assuredly exist out there, it's just too damn far, and we'll never meet them anyway.

too damn far, and time is too long.  

Possibility 1) Super-intelligent life could very well have already visited Earth, but before we were here. In the scheme of things, sentient humans have only been around for about 50,000 years, a little blip of time. If contact happened before then, it might have made some ducks flip out and run into the water and that’s it. Further, recorded history only goes back 5,500 years—a group of ancient hunter-gatherer tribes may have experienced some crazy alien ****, but they had no good way to tell anyone in the future about it.

http://waitbutwhy.com/2014/05/fermi-paradox.html

there were a couple billion years where prokaryotes were the most complex life on this planet.

Curious.. for our religious friends..

~Bang

Pretty sure the new pope already took care of this. He said (i believe)that alien life would not change anything. They would just be another one of God's children

Pretty sure the new pope already took care of this. He said (i believe)that alien life would not change anything. They would just be another one of God's children

The leadership of the Catholic Church has conceded that there might be aliens for decades, and there have even been conversations on what that would mean in the context of original sin.

The leadership of the Catholic Church has conceded that there might be aliens for decades, and there have even been conversations on what that would mean in the context of original sin.

So pretty much what I just said....thanks

..except if i remember correctly it was a big deal when this pope had said that there is room for ET in God's plan...

I know I need to do some more reading into this, but I still don't understand why any species would do this. Wouldn't it just be more efficient to put solar panels or fusion reactors where you need the power instead of trying to capture every drop for an object as large as a star? What effect would that have on the rest of the solar system, ie, is it worth it?

Maybe if it was a dwarf star I could maybe understand that, but anything the size of a normal size star or larger then that's an obscene amount of building material you would need. Then how would you get the power to where it needs to go? What about solar wind and the extreme amounts of radiation now trapped inside the sphere? I just don't get it.

~Bang

I'm not the overly religious type, and I find myself floating threw periods of belief and disbelief, though I don't see it as agnosticism.  When I was teaching 11th graders, during our unit on persuasion, inevitably there was always at least one student in one of my classes that would choose the topic of extraterrestrials.  We would always end each person's persuasive presentation with a Q&A session and then a class discussion.  When I was asked my thoughts, which was a definite each time, I would be as honest as possible with my students and relay my thoughts on their three most popular questions on the subject:

- with so much real estate out there, it is more probable than not that there is other intelligent life out there.  Not necessarily in our neighborhood, but somewhere out there

- if a species or race that had millions of years of advancement on us exists, than it would be foolish to think that they would not have realized a way to travel the galaxy.  Considering how far we as a species have come in less than a century (from the Wright brothers to the moon landing), adding a few million years should equate to unbelievable progression and understanding.

- the proving of the existence of ET's does not disprove the existence of a God or higher being.  Two of the three major world religions base their faith around the parts, if not all, of the Holy Bible - the Old Testament.  The very first book of that Testament, Genesis, says that God made the heavens, then made the Earth, then made man.  It does not say that he only put man on Earth, but it does say he created the heavens and all manner of life. OF course, it all boils down to faith, belief, and interpretation.

What about solar wind and the extreme amounts of radiation now trapped inside the sphere? I just don't get it.

Its' not really a closed solid sphere like TV makes it out to be.  It's more an array of devices around the sun to catch solar energy and beam it wirelessly to where you need it. 

Are cave crickets one of God's children? Mosquitos? Ants? Germs? What if the species who evolves in to their planet's dominant intelligent beings has 5 eyes, 8 legs, 6 arms, antennae, and had millions of years to evolve in to 45 foot monsters on a "super Earth"? Is there a cutoff point in intelligence for a species to qualify as one of God's children?

I know I need to do some more reading into this, but I still don't understand why any species would do this. Wouldn't it just be more efficient to put solar panels or fusion reactors where you need the power instead of trying to capture every drop for an object as large as a star? What effect would that have on the rest of the solar system, ie, is it worth it?

Maybe if it was a dwarf star I could maybe understand that, but anything the size of a normal size star or larger then that's an obscene amount of building material you would need. Then how would you get the power to where it needs to go? What about solar wind and the extreme amounts of radiation now trapped inside the sphere? I just don't get it.

Dyson's explanation is an array of satellites swarming the planet. The Dyson Sphere that completely covers a star he deemed "mechanically impossible".

I do think a type 3 civilization could perhaps pull it off (or put it on, is more like it). That is, a species who traverses their galaxy, has control of many star systems. Feed a few planets in to a 3D printer and boom, Dyson Sphere. Easy peasy.

- the proving of the existence of ET's does not disprove the existence of a God or higher being. Two of the three major world religions base their faith around the parts, if not all, of the Holy Bible - the Old Testament. The very first book of that Testament, Genesis, says that God made the heavens, then made the Earth, then made man. It does not say that he only put man on Earth, but it does say he created the heavens and all manner of life. OF course, it all boils down to faith, belief, and interpretation.

Burden of proof is not on the disbelievers. Finding extra terrestrials doesn't disprove the flying spaghetti monster.

It says that in the beginning, God created "the heavens" and the Earth, but apparently "the beginning" means waiting 9 billion years after the universe came in to existence. A lot happened between "the beginning" of the universe and human beings. Hell, between Earth's cooldown period and us, the Moon was formed, mass extinctions happened over and over again, we are brand spankin new. I think it was more gas, gravity, and other natural forces, when it comes to how our (and every other) solar system formed. We evolved from shrew-lookin things, in to a branch of monkeys, who just started becoming civilized a few thousand years ago. The explanation of worldly things just appearing, and how "it was so", is not only incredibly vague, but contradictory to our incredibly thorough investigative findings.

Burden of proof is not on the disbelievers. Finding extra terrestrials doesn't disprove the flying spaghetti monster.

I never said that anyone had the burden of proof.  As a matter of fact, I said, "it all boils down to faith, belief, and interpretation." I make no claim to know the truths of the origins of man or the universe, as no one truly does beyond theory, belief, and speculation.   Those who shutout science due to religion are just as closed minded as those who blindly rely on science and find no faith or belief of their own, religious based or not. Many of those who tout their superiority with science as their "proof" are the first to forget that a theory is a theory because it cannot be fully proven.  Once it can be, it is no longer theory but fact.  Unfortunately, too many people talk as if all these theories are facts. Science changes so often due to theories being proven and disproven.  No doubt that 25 years from now many of the theories now being touted as fact will be completely dismissed, possibly even ridiculed, as has been the case throughout recorded history. 

I never said that anyone had the burden of proof. As a matter of fact, I said, "it all boils down to faith, belief, and interpretation." I make no claim to know the truths of the origins of man or the universe, as no one truly does beyond theory, belief, and speculation.

Sorry if you felt I attacked you in some way. I was only responding to your "ET doesn't disprove God" comment. Wasn't trying to misquote you.

I believe evidence and reasoning have to be in there before faith and speculation. Faith is belief in the absence of evidence, and speculation isn't much better.

Those who shutout science due to religion are just as closed minded as those who blindly rely on science and find no faith or belief of their own, religious based or not.

I love to think philosophically. About what happens after death, what life and conciousness is, if there is a god, or gods, or society of gods - whom also may have their own gods. I play Devil's Advocate against my own belief system all the time. It's how I got to my current opinion.

Many of those who tout their superiority with science as their "proof" are the first to forget that a theory is a theory because it cannot be fully proven. Once it can be, it is no longer theory but fact. Unfortunately, too many people talk as if all these theories are facts. Science changes so often due to theories being proven and disproven. No doubt that 25 years from now many of the theories now being touted as fact will be completely dismissed, possibly even ridiculed, as has been the case throughout recorded history.

I think you'll be wrong about that. You think theories touted as facts will be completely dismissed in 25 years? In this golden age of science, we've been merely tweaking our findings. There have been no "omg the Earth's round???" moments. Darwinism has been around for what, 150 years? What scientific theories touted as facts have been completely dismissed in the past 25 years, or even past 100 years?

I think in 25 years we'll have even more hard evidence for evolution, the history of our Earth and space, and we may even know how life began. Maybe not, but at least science is trying to find out.

Again, I'm not blindly relying on science, or being superior, and all the other fine things I get accused of whenever I'm tricked in to a discussion about the grand scheme. I research and think about the prospect of a god, and wtf one would be all about, all the time.

I don't think anyone is runnin this ****, especially any of the wacko gods and their even wackier stories. And I'm not about to sit here and write a book on all the reasons why I think that way. A lot of the reasons have nothing to do with science.

Are cave crickets one of God's children? Mosquitos? Ants? Germs? What if the species who evolves in to their planet's dominant intelligent beings has 5 eyes, 8 legs, 6 arms, antennae, and had millions of years to evolve in to 45 foot monsters on a "super Earth"? Is there a cutoff point in intelligence for a species to qualify as one of God's children?

Yes? Beats me...

I believe evidence and reasoning have to be in there before faith and speculation. Faith is belief in the absence of evidence, and speculation isn't much better.

This isn't true by the definition of faith or by people's actual beliefs:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/faith

2. belief that is not based on proof:

He had faith that the hypothesis would be substantiated by fact.

3. belief in God or in the doctrines or teachings of religion:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/faith

belief and trust in and loyalty to God (2) :

belief in the traditional doctrines of a religion

b (1)

firm belief in something for which there is no proof (2) : complete trust

Belief without PROOF not EVIDENCE and even if the definition DID say without proof, it also explicitly carves out a definition independent of that one with respect to God.

I don't know anybody that believes in God and has no reasons/evidence to. You might not find the reasons/evidence compelling yourself, but that isn't the same as saying there is no evidence/reasons.

One would hope..  but figure this.. what would the discovery of an alien species do to the multitudes of religious faiths around the globe? It seems to me that many of them rely on the notion of man being flawed, but superior in that this is all made just for us.

Alien life, specifically alien life that would be either equal to or superior to us may cause a lot of people to either question their faith, or maybe question whether the role they have in God's cosmos is what they thought it was.

No doubt that would cause a lot of panic, a lot of despair.

and of course, the inevitable blaming of who is at fault for the predicament to begin with, or who is 'favored'...  I think before we can come together in the face of a common alien we will have to go through a lot of upheaval first.

~Bang

I don't know if it would impact me all that much as far as my faith is concerned. The biggest question for Christians would be about being made in the image of God and do they need redemption from sin like humans do. Or are they just part of creation like animals?

Archived