Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

First quarter of the season is over. Improvements/ regression/ same old, same old?

brandymac27

Just wondering what you think about where the team is heading after these first 4 games.

I think we're slowly improving in areas, specifically: QB play ( I think the more PT he gets, the more he'll improve, especially in the interception department), the overall play of our defense, our run game, and our OL.

This doesn't mean that any of the above won't have bad days/games, but overall I see improvement.

As far as regressing in certain areas, I almost feel like half time adjustments and ST's aren't just "the same old, same old", but are getting worse. I don't understand why we can't seem to fix these problems.

I'm sure I left stuff out, so feel free to add to the above.

Also, after these 4 games we're sitting at 2-2. I wasn't expecting that. I thought we might end up with 3 or 4 wins for the season, so I'm pleasantly surprised.

My question is basing your answer off these 4 games, where do you see us midway through or at the end of the season? Don't base your answer off of our record, but base it off of our actual play and any perceived improvements or lack thereof.

Be nice if the guys who watched the game could give us who didn't see the game a run down of the positives and negatives of the game.

Looking at the Gametracker on CBS, the young receivers did well (Crowder 12 for 7 - 65 yards and Grant 7 for 5 - 45 yards). Garcon stepped up with clutch catches and Murphy went in beast mode in the final drive of the game. 

We're about where I hoped we would be in Kirk's development and the defense holding its own. I'll be upset if we get annihilated by Atlanta next week, but I'll accept it seeing we are heading in the right direction versus hoping we're heading in the right direction.

Committing to the run game to help protect this team even when it looks like sub-par production is literally the difference in us standing a chance and the season already being over. Jay deserves so much credit for this, I cannot understate this enough.

I think that this team is ahead of where I was expecting them 1/4 into the season.

The strong suit of this team is the defense, surprisingly.  Specifically the defensive line.  The secondary, minus Deangelo Hall, is still very suspect.  They've been burned several times because the defensive line can't sack the QB on every drop back.  Hopefully this trend continues and they can stop the run, keep the deep balls to a minimum and keep the game close.

The offense has been average.  The run game has appeared strong at times and weak at others.  One week Jones looks like he's the next Chris Johnson, the next he gets barely any carries.  Alfred Morris has been disappointing.  The passing game reminds me of a standard Redskins passing game.  Seldom any deep passes, lots of misdirection pass plays for short yardage.  A few intermediate passes sprinkled in here and there.  The deep passes that are thrown aren't always on target.  This is the pass game that I've seen in the past and it isn't losing us any games but it can't win us any on our own.

By all accounts, getting rid of Forbath for the new guy (whose name I haven't learned yet) was a brilliant move.  The special teams haven't had any major blunders since then for what it's worth.

Extrapolating our current record gets us to 8-8, which would be leaps and bounds above what I was expecting.  I think every game will be close, even the ones against the teams like the Falcons, simply because of our defense.  I don't know that we will hit 8-8 but if the identity that we are establishing continues throughout the season then I can accept another losing season.  

As a whole the team is better. There is more talent all around. The QB play is more solid and consistent. The pass rush is better although has stretches of disappearing. The run D has been outstanding. There is a lot of depth at WR an RB.

The coaching is...up and down. Barry is an upgrade over Haslett for sure. Gruden makes some boneheaded calls at times but seems like he has the guys playing hard.

Special Teams is still a huge problem area. Its cost us one game for sure, maybe cost us the Giant game and could have cost us today.

I feel like we have progressed to the point where our team is one of the better bottom third teams. We can compete with and even at times dominate the Dolphins, Rams, and Philly's of the league, but will struggle with the average or better teams. The defense is improved, the line is improved, our physicality is improved.

We need to learn how to play second halves. I don't know if it's turtle syndrome, but we fall apart every single second half. Twice we held on or edged out a victory and twice we got kicked in the teeth. That could be talent/depth or it could be play calling. Likely, it is a bit of both.

I'm still encouraged, but not yet to the point where I'm changing my 7-9 prediction.

Honestly, we'd be seriously competing for a playoff spot with a legit QB and yes, a lot of teams can say that but when you compare that to last year....it's encouraging.

Their TDs came from targeting our half dead CB. If he's healthy, do they even keep it close? Our defense may really be something with one more good draft. 

It's encouraging. We're still closer to bad than good but things are looking up. 

Overall, I see many improvements across the board, but still have a lot of work to do. Special teams still an issue and way too many penalties for my liking. I'll take the 2-2 start, but really we should be 3-1 at this point. How the hell did we lose to the Dolphins???? :huh:

To me, the biggest improvement is on defense. It's hardly a world-beater at this point, and the injuries we've experienced there have been VERY tough, but I really like the aggressiveness of the unit and the nastiness. They're playing and hitting hard, and the push upfront is better than we've had in quite some time. The elite o-lines will probably handle us OK, but we really took it to the Eagles line today. I think Bradford had only been sacked twice up until this game. Barry has put together a solid scheme, and it's a huge step up from Haslett. 

Overall, I see many improvements across the board, but still have a lot of work to do. Special teams still an issue and way too many penalties for my liking. I'll take the 2-2 start, but really we should be 3-1 at this point. How the hell did we lose to the Dolphins???? :huh:

because of the two things you just listed: penalties and special teams issues ;)

This team reminds me a lot of the 2011 skins team (at least the Grossman portion of the season).  Despite our horrible ending record, I really look back fondly on that season.  I felt like it was a team full of nobodies.  I see a lot of parallels - we were coming off a season where we jettisoned a bunch of big name primadonna types (McNabb & Haynesworth mainly).  Shanahan basically said, "**** it, we are having competition at every position every single week.  You want your job, you perform."

And for a while, we saw it working well.  Starting the year, our team was a bunch of blue collar NFL nobodies who were playing their asses off for their jobs every week.  We were definitely seeing a turnaround.  Then Grossman had that weird dehydration issue that forced Beck onto the field for 3-4 games, which basically torpedoed our season.  We finished with some wins and some impressive performances against good teams (in losses), and I felt like we were really building something.

I feel kind of similar about the team this year.  Benching Griffin was the equivalent of our Haynesworth/Mcnabb thing.  If you don't earn your job, you lose it (as Forbath, Amerson, and Roberts showed).  Looking at our schedule for the remainder of the year, it's hard to point to more than 2 or 3 games that look like we'll be favored, but I think somehow we'll manage 6-10 or so, and I think that, combined with a competition-based mentality, will be a great stepping stone for us to reload and come back stronger next year.

Its a definite improvement IMO.

Defense is playing pretty good football, the front half could get more pressure but the secondary still seems shaky; maybe we've escaped the high powered offenses thus far, but still overall much improved, hard hitting, physical.

Offense is ok; not great, not bad, prob leaning to the better side a little, KC had a good game and last minute TD pass and didn't crumble.  Injuries are keeping us from realizing our true potential, and if they can teach Reed to block every once in awhile it would be great.

But that damned special teams is giving me gray hairs [ ok, more ]. Its not a total Chinese fire drill but getting close; they will have their hands full next week.

We are way ahead of where i expected us to be at this point. We are lightyears ahead of last years disaster. The defense has been excellent so far this season. Kirk progressed much faster in this system then i expected as well. The special teams still suck. For the first time in a long time i feel this team is on ghe way up. And that feels good to say.

Positives

I am quite honestly shocked that our OL is as solid as it is. 

We are far ahead of where I thought we would be in the running game (related to the point above).

The DL has so far lived up to expectations after the FA spending. 

The defense has mostly tackled much, much better than we've seen in recent years. 

Negatives

Tough to write this after that GW drive, but Cousins is actually not as far along as I was hoping at this point. 

Penalties are embarrassing. 

We force no turnovers (the two today were pretty much handed to us). 

Our second halves are very bad - something Gruden will need to improve upon.

Overall

We are about where I was hoping we would be and maybe slightly ahead of where I expected us to be. I like the mentality of the team. It's only 4 games, but we don't seem to back down when we're punched - we punch back. What I hope is that the game-winning drive ignites something in Cousins. Otherwise, it feels like we have to outplay a team by so much to have a shot...he really needs to take the next step so we don't have to be perfect. 

I think this team is considerably better and the improvement is faster than expected. The defense, offense and special teams improved over 2014 and 2013. Both lines are improved and Cousins can run Gruden's offense so this looks like a team capable of winning 7 or 8 games which is what I hoped for but didn't expect. If Jackson hadn't got hurt this team might be 3-1 or even 4-0. If he comes back strong it might get really interesting.

Archived