Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cousins Is The Man

Veryoldschool

In a Washington Post article they praise Cousins for not succumbing to pressure because he had to accept a 19.9 million dollar franchise tag over long term security.

How do people write or think these things with a straight face? I'm sure Kirk would enjoy a long term deal. He'd even prefer it... though obviously not enough to get one done.  The idea though that getting 19.9 million dollars isn't long term security is preposterous. Give me that much and I can live my life quite easily. All the financial stresses for me and my family go poof! Now, sure... I'd probably be greedy and say... you know, a hundred million is better than 20 and I'd like to know where my locker will be for the next five or seven years, but hell, with 19 mil I'm smiling all the way to the bank. I'm in a no lose situation (which is exactly why he signed the tag on day one).

Anyway, just wanted to grumble about sports' logic. I think Cousins did the smart thing in taking the franchise tag. He did not really risk anything. He's set for life. His kids are probably set for life too... even if he walks away from football and never plays another snap after this year.

19.99999M, let's all cry a river.

I am thinking Cousins may be in for a monster year. The wildcard, is if Jay / McVay are going to call the same offense as the back half of last year. The unpredictable pass first offense that just crushed defenses and led he and Reed to FAT new contracts; or the run run pass of the first half of the year that was meh at best. Even with Lauvao in there springing the run game, it didn't lead to monster PA based passing attacks and full QB statistical glory.

Our backs don't inspire me enough to think the run game will lead our offense. It has to be Kirk.  Will they put the ball in his hands and ride him to the promised land, or take it out like they did vs Green Bay. 

The "hands" group is the strength of our team, coupled with the strong pass pro of our OL, makes for a no brainer game plan IMO. Full aerial assault.

Big season for Cousins and the team this year.

I think the important thing for him this year is just remaining calm. I don't think the running game is going to help out much, so he's going to have to do most of the heavy lifting on offense. The current scheme we run seems perfect for him and his quick release. As long as his decision making remains the same as down the stretch last season, he should be in for another solid season. If we're going to have any chance at a repeat in the division, it's going to be Cousins that gets us there.

What a year it has been for Kirk Cousins.  Since a extremely disappointing draft day that sent him inexplicably to the Redskins as a 4th round pick and the designated backup behind another rookie QB and designated franchise saver instead of being selected by a team as their potential franchise QB in the 2nd round as expected Kirk labored in twilight.  For 3 1/2 years two coaching staffs saw the promise in Cousins of the player we saw emerge last year but the owner had invested so much in the other one it was impossible to act on their judgements until they didn't care like Shanahan in 2013 or had their back to the wall as Gruden did in 2015.  

Going into his 4th and final season Cousins had no idea where is career was going after finishing 2014 on the 3rd string.  During the post season Kirk focused on improving himself disparate to extend his career.  Those of us who were excited by Cousins since his rookie game against the Browns were ecstatic when Gruden said they were going with Cousins.   We later learned Mccloughan had put his foot down in 4 hour meeting with the owner to clear the way for Cousins.  Then Cousins the sweet choirboy showed he had enough grit, talent and confidence to be strong throughout an entire  season delivering a recording break year and division title.

I thought a long term deal would get done since they had to thrown 20M in the pot to keep Cousins for 1 year it made sense to me they would be willing to guarantee another 20-25 million to tie him up for 5 but the end result makes sense also.  Let Cousins play another year making enough to give him lifetime security and earn himself the deal he deserves with 2 seasons of results to consider.  I think he is likely to have an even bigger year than last year and deliver another division title.  Drew Brees cranks out seasons like that every year and I believe Shanny is right Kirk Cousins is a Dree Brees type talent.  HTTR!

6 hours ago, Burgold said:

In a Washington Post article they praise Cousins for not succumbing to pressure because he had to accept a 19.9 million dollar franchise tag over long term security.

How do people write or think these things with a straight face? I'm sure Kirk would enjoy a long term deal. He'd even prefer it... though obviously not enough to get one done.  The idea though that getting 19.9 million dollars isn't long term security is preposterous. Give me that much and I can live my life quite easily. All the financial stresses for me and my family go poof! Now, sure... I'd probably be greedy and say... you know, a hundred million is better than 20 and I'd like to know where my locker will be for the next five or seven years, but hell, with 19 mil I'm smiling all the way to the bank. I'm in a no lose situation (which is exactly why he signed the tag on day one).

Now, another angle to look at would be Cousins, being the type of person he is, may have felt if he did want/get a huge contract, the pressure to perform comes with it.

Sure, playing QB in the NFL is pressure enough, but when you sign a huge $ contract, that is in the back of your mind always; becoming more tense, playing tight, careful, trying too hard to not make mistakes, all builds up between the ears. We've seen many players, especially QBs across the league, signing a big contract, then collapsing.   Maybe he wants to prove to himself first that he is absolutely positively sure he has 100% confidence in his ability as well as the teammates and coaching staff.

I agree that in the (perverse) math of the NFL that a long term contract might give Cousins more peace of mind, but reality suggests that he's in good shape no matter what. I kind of like that he seems to still be hungry and still understands that he has something to prove (despite being set for life).

33 minutes ago, MattFancy said:

Lol good to see we're still talking about him in August of 2016

Pretty sure Cooley and Sheehan reviewed or discussed his game tape from that 1st Browns preseason game too. At least that's what they said they would do, I turned it off prior to that upcoming segment because I can't listen more than 4-5 min of redskins radio 

1 hour ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

I was talking about the 2016 Browns 1st Preseason game and a QB I shall not name's 1st series which reinforced my faith in Scott and Jay.

Let's make sure this is the last time they're brought up in this thread. There's a thread in the ATNFL forum for those who just can't seem to let go. Thanks all. :)

8 hours ago, Burgold said:

I agree that in the (perverse) math of the NFL that a long term contract might give Cousins more peace of mind, but reality suggests that he's in good shape no matter what. I kind of like that he seems to still be hungry and still understands that he has something to prove (despite being set for life).

I think his confidence is almost there, but just wants that personal reassurance, which will not come until the season starts. If he playa against the better teams in the league like he played the 2nd half of last season, win or lose, that will be all it takes.

If he doesn't want it, then i'll split it with ya; just mail my share to me. :)

Archived