Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Gun Control Debate Thread

Dont Taze Me Bro

https://www.google.com/amp/s/wtop.com/dc/2021/10/1-killed-several-wounded-in-southeast-dc-shooting/amp/

This happened on my block last night. While my daughter was watching a movie downstairs and my son was sleeping upstairs. I ****ing hate guns. Take them all away. Buy them back. Never sell them again. The second amendment is ****ing stupid. I don’t care about your right to bear arms. It’s ****ing dumb. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Well I’m glad you’re not king.

I think if people where getting killed in front of your house by a barrage of bullets while your child was inside of it your opinion about needs to happen in your neighborhood would be less snarky.

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Florgon79 said:

That's a dumb comment. I'm a man and a father. I don't want my kids to die because stupid people can have deadly weapons. As long as I live I'll use my vote to try and strip gun owners of their rights. 

That's throwing baby out with the bathwater.  Look, I get it, my cousin lives in DC and something like this happen close to his house with his kid inside, talks about moving to Maryland when the money is right a lot.

Having said that, making something illegal doesn't stop it from happening.  We have huge socioeconomic problems going on in this country that trying to get rid of guns won't solve.  I say try because we all know there's more guns then people in this country,  so getting rid of them all isn't going to happen.

Need a better plan, a middle ground, that this generation of politicians aren't up to the challenge of, but hopefully the next one will.  Wish safety for you and your family, really do.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I think if people where getting killed in front of your house by a barrage of bullets while your child was inside of it your opinion about needs to happen in your neighborhood would be less snarky.

Huh?  You’re saying if that happened outside my house, that my opinion would be less snarky than Florgon’s?

6 hours ago, Florgon79 said:

That's a dumb comment. I'm a man and a father. I don't want my kids to die because stupid people can have deadly weapons. As long as I live I'll use my vote to try and strip gun owners of their rights. 

Renegade already summed it up pretty well.  Listen, I’ve gone well on the record here calling for more gun control but but what you are saying isn’t going to win any debates.  But taking the position that you don’t like a constitutional amendment so just get rid of it seems to me like a solid reason to be glad you aren’t king.

• Like 1

Wisconsin Republicans propose bills to allow hunting of sandhill cranes, concealed carry of guns without licenses

Republican lawmakers are introducing a package of bills that would open sandhill crane hunting in Wisconsin and allow residents to carry concealed firearms without licenses.    

The package of 13 draft bills, dubbed the Wisconsin Sporting Freedom Package, was released Wednesday in conjunction with Hunter Nation, a Kansas-based hunting group, which is also suing the state over the ability to hunt wolves.

Click on the link for the full article

• Thumb down 1

10 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

sure 👍 

I guess this will be at least the second time today you’ve pretended to be ignorant…

It was a literal reading of what you wrote.  I thought it was at least mildly humorous.  What was the other time I pretended to be ignorant?

16 hours ago, Florgon79 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/wtop.com/dc/2021/10/1-killed-several-wounded-in-southeast-dc-shooting/amp/

This happened on my block last night. While my daughter was watching a movie downstairs and my son was sleeping upstairs. I ****ing hate guns. Take them all away. Buy them back. Never sell them again. The second amendment is ****ing stupid. I don’t care about your right to bear arms. It’s ****ing dumb. 

So take away my guns cause some dumbass did a drive by in your neighborhood?  **** that.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Florgon79 said:

Not every gun owner is stupid or irresponsible.  But you probably already know that, but lets sterotype for the sake of arguing. :rolleyes:

And yes, a guy was gunned down on my street a while back, so I've experienced what you have.  

13 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Not every gun owner is stupid or irresponsible.  But you probably already know that, but lets sterotype for the sake of arguing. :rolleyes:

And yes, a guy was gunned down on my street a while back, so I've experienced what you have.  

Guns are dumb, find a hobby that isn't responsible for ending thousands of American lives every year. 

1 hour ago, Simmsy said:

Guns are dumb, find a hobby that isn't responsible for ending thousands of American lives every year. 

You are aware that guns can do more than just irresponsibly kill thousands of Americans every year, right?  Do you feel the same way about alcohol?  Because that kills more than twice as many people per year than guns do.

https://www.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/brochures-and-fact-sheets/alcohol-facts-and-statistics

3 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

You are aware that guns can do more than just irresponsibly kill thousands of Americans every year, right?  Do you feel the same way about alcohol?  Because that kills more than twice as many people per year than guns do.

https://www.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/brochures-and-fact-sheets/alcohol-facts-and-statistics

Guns are a weapon, they were invented to kill. When some guy walks into a Walmart and unloads on a group of innocent people, he isn't misusing the gun at all. He is using the gun for exactly what it is used for...killing. I think the biggest annoyance of this whole thing is when the pro gun crowd tries to compare guns to SOMETHING, ANYTHING even remotely dangerous and say its the same thing. Do you REALLY think alcohol is more dangerous than guns? Guns can do more than just kill people? You mean kill animals? Wound people instead?

I know how dangerous alcohol is, I'm a recovering alcoholic who has been sober for two years. I can promise you that no one came to my aide when I committed drunken shenanigans. Budweiser didn't come see me out of jail when I got a DWI, not like the NRA after a mass shooting (well, if you're white). I guarantee you no one thought of me as a patriot as I destroyed my insides with booze. Guns are a public safety matter, we have plenty of safety measures to keep people from drinking and driving cars, but whenever the matter comes to guns..."thoughts and prayers". We look down on people who refuse to put society ahead of their own selfish needs, I don't know why guns get a free pass.

Guns are a danger to our society and once again, a small group of people are keeping this country from moving toward what the people actually want. I'm not saying guns should be banned, but we need much stricter gun laws. I hope that we all can at least agree on that.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

I hope that we all can at least agree on that.

I agree we need better laws.  I’m not gonna say we agree on what those laws should be without knowing what you think they should be though.  I get that you don’t like people pointing to other dangerous things but it seems hypocritical to me to talk about the number of people killed by guns but then shrug about things that kill far more people.  

I recently saw a demonstration on this system.  Where is the push for it?  Looking at the statistics, irresponsible drunk drivers are more dangerous than irresponsible gun owners.

Am I wrong in thinking that guns that are most effective for self/home defense are not the guns lot of these criminals use for mass shootings?  (This is an honest question as I am not that knowledgeable about guns).  

Also, there are plenty of other countries that allow possession of firearms, but nowhere seems to have gun violence problems to the scale that we do.  For those more knowledgeable about guns and gun ownership culture, why is that?

2 hours ago, bearrock said:

Am I wrong in thinking that guns that are most effective for self/home defense are not the guns lot of these criminals use for mass shootings?  (This is an honest question as I am not that knowledgeable about guns).

I would say that depends a lot on your living situation.  If you live in an apartment, an AR probably isn’t your best choice.  Have a few acres?  Might need more than a pistol.  Also, pistols are not uncommon in many of these cases (I know you didn’t say they were, I’m just informing).

2 hours ago, bearrock said:

Also, there are plenty of other countries that allow possession of firearms, but nowhere seems to have gun violence problems to the scale that we do.  For those more knowledgeable about guns and gun ownership culture, why is that?

In my opinion, the idea that the solution to your problems is to shoot a bunch of random people is a sign our issue is more societal than just a gun issue.

Lastly, good people can disagree on the if the 2nd amendment is still necessary but it is still on the books.  And I don’t think anyone believes that it was meant for just a person to defend their home/self.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, bearrock said:

1). It seems that there really aren't any countries that have the degree of ownership, and laxity of regulation, that we have. 

2). And there's cultural differences, no doubt, too. Let's face it, there's a lot more difference between the US and, say, Sweden, than just the number of guns. It would be a fallacy to compare our country's murder rates, and attribute it entirely  to gun ownership. 

3 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I would say that depends a lot on your living situation.  If you live in an apartment, an AR probably isn’t your best choice.  Have a few acres?  Might need more than a pistol.  Also, pistols are not uncommon in many of these cases (I know you didn’t say they were, I’m just informing).

Granted, I'm an idiot about such things. But I tend to agree with the radio host I heard who said the best weapon for home defense was a shotgun. 

4 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Lastly, good people can disagree on the if the 2nd amendment is still necessary but it is still on the books.  And I don’t think anyone believes that it was meant for just a person to defend their home/self.

Just pointing out, it literally does say what it's for. :) 

Although I don't really want to go into playing the "original intent" game. I think the Constitution has to change either the times. So just because something wasn't intended back then, doesn't mean it doesn't apply now. 

7 hours ago, Larry said:

Granted, I'm an idiot about such things. But I tend to agree with the radio host I heard who said the best weapon for home defense was a shotgun. 

There is a lot that goes into it in my opinion.  I’m not sure there even really is such a thing as “best”.  

7 hours ago, Larry said:

Just pointing out, it literally does say what it's for. :) 

Although I don't really want to go into playing the "original intent" game. I think the Constitution has to change either the times. So just because something wasn't intended back then, doesn't mean it doesn't apply now. 

Yea, I was trying to avoid having that whole discussion again.  It has already been had several times in the thread.

How about some good ol' vigilante justice:

Woman arrested after shooting alleged shoplifter at Circle K in north Phoenix

A woman has been arrested for assault after she shot a man who was reportedly shoplifting from a Circle K near 35th Avenue and Dunlap, Phoenix police said.

The shooting happened on Oct. 9 at around 3:15 p.m. after a woman, identified as 41-year-old Miriam Shekhmoos, allegedly saw the man stealing merchandise from the convenience store.

When Shekhmoos tried to stop him, he tried to push past her to run away, so she shot him, police said.

Click on the link for the full article

• Thumb down 1

14 hours ago, Larry said:

It's one of the best weapons for home defense, but like Buzz stated, it depends on where you live and your set-up.  For most homes/apartments, a shotgun is a great option because of being in closer proximity to an intruder and you benefit from the spray of the buckshot while not having to aim perfectly. 

Need to protect yourself and own a bunch of land?  Semi-auto assault rifles are probably a better choice because shotguns don't have the range and a handgun is less accurate at long distances.  It also doesn't mean that a handgun or assault riffle aren't good for most homes/apartments, depends what one prefers. 

If I'm going to protect my home with an assault rifle, it most likely is not going to be a high caliber one that could penetrate my walls and neighbors walls in the house next door and potentially kill someone that's innocent. I'm going with one that takes .22LR rounds.

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro
  • Thumb up 1