Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Gun Control Debate Thread

Dont Taze Me Bro

5 minutes ago, twa said:

not in Texas

Yeah, I know. Like that dude who hired the hooker and then shot her when she took his money without giving it up.

edit: Here you go... https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2013/05/why-ezekiel-gilbert-s-acquittal-proves-the-lunacy-of-texas-s-gun-laws

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff

1 minute ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Yeah, I know. Like that dude who hired the hooker and then shot her when she took his money without giving it up.

Is this discussion going to be a test of comparing stories that prove our individual points?  Because I can find enough stories of someone who was murdered in their own home that could have gone different if they had a firearm.  I get arguing with TWA can be frustrating, but we can do better than this.

Just now, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

edit: Here you go... https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2013/05/why-ezekiel-gilbert-s-acquittal-proves-the-lunacy-of-texas-s-gun-laws

shot a thief

lunacy is adding a legal burden to someone guilty of simply being at home.

I'm a small, older female.  If someone comes into my abode uninvited (I always keep all doors and windows locked), I'm shooting first and asking questions later.  When it comes to my personal safety, I'm not taking any chances.  When I get an apartment in Austin, I'll make sure that the office knows to notify me if anyone needs to come in my apartment.

I've had a house broken into during the day when no one was home.  Insurance took care of the electronics stolen. Day time burglers typically aren't armed.  If someone comes into your home at night, they aren't there to merely steal, they are there to commit. mayhem.

15 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Is this discussion going to be a test of comparing stories that prove our individual points?  Because I can find enough stories of someone who was murdered in their own home that could have gone different if they had a firearm.  I get arguing with TWA can be frustrating, but we can do better than this.

Nah, I think we're good. Your position is castle doctrine. I can respect that. I don't necessarily agree with it but it's a perfectly normal stance on the issue.

5 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I have to get to bed but I will be back tomorrow to address any points brought up.

Wait... I posted before i saw this. Changed my mind then. That's a forfeit. SACKS WINS AGAIN!!!

9 minutes ago, twa said:

shot a thief

You know I live in Texas, right? Do you have any idea how much of my precious time you've stolen on this board? There's not a jury outside of Austin that would convict me.

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Nah, I think we're good. Your position is castle doctrine. I can respect that. I don't necessarily agree with it but it's a perfectly normal stance on the issue.

Wait... I posted before i saw this. Changed my mind then. That's a forfeit. SACKS WINS AGAIN!!!

You know I live in Texas, right? Do you have any idea how much of my precious time you've stolen on this board? There's not a jury outside of Austin that would convict me.

For the record castle doctrine is me meeting you in the middle. If someone is running down the street with my property I would like to be able to defend it but I get that isn't realistic with so many idiots in the world. But I can defend a pretty large area with my 30-06.  

• Like 1

Just now, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

:ols: you wouldn't make it thru the barrio

There is danger about, go home and lock your doors and windows.

Oh btw, if someone breaks in you need to retreat.

to where???? :816:

46 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I support this.  Though I would like to see a minimum federal requirement that states must meet for issuing these permits.  

Are there states that just hand them out w/o requirements? I thought Fl. was pretty lax, but I still had to take a safety course (class and range) another back ground check, finger prints, etc..

Hope this passes and I can travel from Fl to Va and back, w/o having to open the trunk of the car. (so to speak) 

31 minutes ago, GoDeep81 said:

Are there states that just hand them out w/o requirements? I thought Fl. was pretty lax, but I still had to take a safety course (class and range) another back ground check, finger prints, etc..

I seem to remember that there was a story that supposedly Arizona was handing the things out, through the mail, as long as the applicant didn't live in Arizona.  

But I seem to remember that they stopped doing that.  

47 minutes ago, GoDeep81 said:

Hope this passes and I can travel from Fl to Va and back, w/o having to open the trunk of the car. (so to speak) 

I can't speak for every state but I know Florida is really lax.  My wife took their safety course to get hers and she said it was a joke. And watching her handle a gun after it for the first time proved she was right. And for the record if you drive from Florida to Virginia each state along the way has a reciprocity  rule. I just did that drive.

I still say open carry is the way to go.  Make a rule that gun has to be less than 8" in overall length or something.  But when I go somewhere, I prefer to know who is carrying.

Just now, DogofWar1 said:

Oh sweet jebus they're gonna let Floridians conceal carry weapons in other states?

Why not just let Congressmen shoot us ourselves?

Releasing crazy Floridians on the country is basically murder by proxy.

half of them are snowbirds anyway,

2 hours ago, GoDeep81 said:

Virginia requires an incredibly basic safety course.

No demonstration of anything.

It can be done online.

And 50$

That's not without requirements, but... pretty lax.

An interesting issue would be a state like maryland.

They offer concealed carry... but, they have strict rules about qualifying for one. It requires demonstrating a need. It's not a test or training or demonstrating ability - it's a need to have one.

Under those general guidelines they would be required to respect a permit from Virginia, which is a shall issue state (ask and you shall receive)

That creates and interesting issue for them... would they get rid of permits to avoid that?

17 minutes ago, tshile said:

Virginia requires an incredibly basic safety course.

No demonstration of anything.

It can be done online.

And 50$

That's not without requirements, but... pretty lax.

An interesting issue would be a state like maryland.

They offer concealed carry... but, they have strict rules about qualifying for one. It requires demonstrating a need. It's not a test or training or demonstrating ability - it's a need to have one.

Under those general guidelines they would be required to respect a permit from Virginia, which is a shall issue state (ask and you shall receive)

That creates and interesting issue for them... would they get rid of permits to avoid that?

This is where I wish everyone could just meet in the middle.  Have some basic training requirement and such.  But don't make you PROVE you need one.

2 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I can't speak for every state but I know Florida is really lax.  My wife took their safety course to get hers and she said it was a joke. And watching her handle a gun after it for the first time proved she was right. And for the record if you drive from Florida to Virginia each state along the way has a reciprocity  rule. I just did that drive.

Ah, they must of changed (reciprocity) since I got my carry permit? Seems like one of the Carolinas was out, back in 07'?  As for the safety course, I guess you get out of it what you put in.. But it is quite easy to pass, in the limited time frame you get with an instructor. The hard part is remembering/honoring the rules after you leave the class.

Edited by GoDeep81

18 minutes ago, GoDeep81 said:

Ah, they must of changed (reciprocity) since I got my carry permit? Seems like one of the Carolinas was out, back in 07'?  As for the safety course, I guess you get out of it what you put in.. But it is quite easy to pass, in the limited time frame you get with an instructor. The hard part is remembering/honoring the rules after you leave the class.

From what my wife said about hers, it was an extremely basic explanation of laws (with a lot of opinions mixed in) and then a "test" where they dry fired a pistol.  I made her go through "TheGreatBuzz Gun Control Course" before she applied for her CCL.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

From what my wife said about hers, it was an extremely basic explanation of laws (with a lot of opinions mixed in) and then a "test" where they dry fired a pistol.  I made her go through "TheGreatBuzz Gun Control Course" before she applied for her CCL.

Wow. Maybe they've laxed even more? I was in Volusia Co. and the "required" course (classroom then firing range) was fairly detailed, but again the test were all immediately following the instruction, so not really hard to pass if you were engaged and paying attention. But the dry fire? We had to load/unload/fire at least a magazine full. IIRC there were 3 instructors (at the range) for like 20 people. They did a good job, imo.