Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Gun Control Debate Thread

Dont Taze Me Bro

• 2 weeks later...

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — A Florida woman’s effort to protect herself from domestic violence has become a flashpoint in the debate over gun rights and victims’ safety.

Courtney Irby gave her estranged husband’s guns to police after he was charged with domestic violence-aggravated battery, only to find herself arrested for theft.

Now a Florida lawmaker and gun safety advocates are championing her cause, asking a state attorney on Monday drop the charges, while gun rights advocates want her prosecuted.

Courtney Irby spent six days in jail on charges of armed burglary and grand theft after she retrieved the assault rifle and handgun from her husband’s apartment and gave them to the Lakeland Police. Joseph Irby was spending one day in jail at the time, accused of ramming into her car after a June 14 divorce hearing.

Courtney Irby told police that she believed he wouldn’t turn in his guns himself, so she took action. According to her arrest report, she said she entered her husband’s apartment through a locked door without his permission and took the guns to a police station.

“So you’re telling me you committed an armed burglary?” the officer asked her.

“Yes, I am but he wasn’t going to turn them in so I am doing it,” the officer said she responded.

Edited by Cooked Crack

I would certainly hope that, to be armed burglary, you have to be armed when you break IN. 

But, Florida. 

And yeah, she did admit to breaking in to his apartment, and stealing something that wasn't hers. 

4 minutes ago, Larry said:

I would certainly hope that, to be armed burglary, you have to be armed when you break IN. 

But, Florida. 

And yeah, she did admit to breaking in to his apartment, and stealing something that wasn't hers. 

I imagine it is if you are armed during the crime.which if you are stealing guns is kinda obvious.

I'd be in favor of leniency, but .....

Lol. “We are no longer staying on message”, says Wayne LaPierre as the NRA spent the last several years becoming Fox News lite. 

The NRA is struggling. Outspent in 2018 by gun safety advocates, had NRA backed candidates lose all over the country in suburbs and now their finances are dwindling amid investigations by Congress and the NY AG. 

CA is also passing a set of gun safety laws on July 1st. I think it is safe to say that the NRA no longer has the messaging upper hand that it enjoyed at the height of its political power. Moms Demand/Everytown, which were formed post-Newtown, have shut that gap. I’ve been a donor to Moms Demand for a year. Great org to support if this is an issue you care for.

• Like 5

Here’s what NRATV goon Dana Loesch had to say about Moms Demand when it was getting started:

Within five years, #boredwomen from Moms Demand outspent the NRA in elections, elected the largest group of gun safety advocates across each level of government and forced the NRA to shut down its propaganda arm. The anti-NRA ads were writing themselves since NRATV was like the love child of Fox News and InfoWars. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, No Excuses said:

The NRA is struggling. Outspent in 2018 by gun safety advocates, had NRA backed candidates lose all over the country in suburbs and now their finances are dwindling amid investigations by Congress and the NY AG. 

CA is also passing a set of gun safety laws on July 1st. I think it is safe to say that the NRA no longer has the messaging upper hand that it enjoyed at the height of its political power. Moms Demand/Everytown, which were formed post-Newtown, have shut that gap. I’ve been a donor to Moms Demand for a year. Great org to support if this is an issue you care for.

I mean, I'm thrilled about this, but let's keep it in perspective.  The NRA's standard for "struggling" is "not being the first or second most influential lobby in the country."  They've taken a hit, but they are still going to be a very effective lobbying force for the foreseeable future, so efforts need to be continue to be made to ****ing stomp on their neck counter their messaging in favor of reasonable gun control measures, changing the national attitude about what "reasonable gun laws" even means, making NRA political support a kiss of death rather than a sought-out endorsement and to make sure that no other gun lobbying group simply picks up where the NRA left off due to its internal mismanagement and squabbling.  There is still a mass shooting just about every day in this country, we have so far to go.  

But this is definitely good news and I agree that a ton of progress has been made in the last few years.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I mean, I'm thrilled about this, but let's keep it in perspective.  The NRA's standard for "struggling" is "not being the first or second most influential lobby in the country."  They've taken a hit, but they are still going to be a very effective lobbying force for the foreseeable future, so efforts need to be continue to be made to ****ing stomp on their neck counter their messaging in favor of reasonable gun control measures, changing the national attitude about what "reasonable gun laws" even means, making NRA political support a kiss of death rather than a sought-out endorsement and to make sure that no other gun lobbying group simply picks up where the NRA left off due to its internal mismanagement and squabbling.  There is still a mass shooting just about every day in this country, we have so far to go.  

But this is definitely good news and I agree that a ton of progress has been made in the last few years.  

Best way to kill the NRA would be to keep electing Republican presidents. Unfortunately as soon as the WH changes hands they’ll get a nice influx of donations. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Best way to kill the NRA would be to keep electing Republican presidents. Unfortunately as soon as the WH changes hands they’ll get a nice influx of donations. 

I think the equation against the NRA has fundamentally changed. A huge swath of the young electorate and people living in educated suburbs have come to view them as a hyper-partisan, right wing extremist organization. Their favorability ratings amongst the public took a huge nose dive in 2018: http://www.businessinsider.com/nra-poll-popularity-favorability-more-americans-dislike-2018-3

Dana Loesch and NRATV was probably the worst thing the NRA did. The cartoonishly evil and conspiratorial programming really destroyed their credibility. 

• 2 weeks later...

Gun-running Long Beach customs agent had 41 machine guns stashed at home

A U.S. Customs and Border Protection watch commander at the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach has admitted to running an illegal gun operation, authorities said.

Wei Xu, 56, of Santa Fe Springs was arrested Feb. 5 after an investigation involving undercover officers to whom Xu sold three guns out of the trunk of his car, including an “off-roster” pistol not certified for sale in California, according to the U.S. attorney’s office.

xu-guns-1.JPG

He has been on unpaid administrative leave since his arrest and will be fired, said Ciaran McEvoy, a spokesman for the U.S. attorney’s office.

In court Wednesday, Xu pleaded guilty to illegally selling guns on the internet, some of which he obtained by using his power as a law enforcement official, and to creating a fake company to avoid paying taxes, prosecutors said. He also pleaded guilty to illegally possessing unregistered firearms and making false statements to a federal agency about his involvement with a Chinese company to get a secret-level security clearance.

Click on the link for the full article

Central Ave. office building hit by gunfire

Tenants include state DMV, Planned Parenthood health center

ALBANY — Employees at a Central Avenue building that houses the Albany County offices of the state Department of Motor Vehicles and a Planned Parenthood health center arrived at work Tuesday to find it pockmarked by gunfire.

Police said no one was injured. They believe a man drove to the front of the building around 3 a.m., got out and fired a gun repeatedly at the building.

The building is just blocks from the scene of another overnight shooting that took place almost exactly a year ago: The window of the Albany County Democratic Committee's headquarters on Colvin Avenue was riddled by a half-dozen bullet holes at some point on the night of July 17-18, 2018.

Robber shot and killed by bystander at 7-Eleven in Virginia Beach, police say

A quick stop at 7-Eleven for a Big Gulp and some nachos in the middle of the night went sideways for Barrie Engel.

In a matter of minutes she was on the ground, covering her head and praying she wouldn't get shot.

First, there were the robbers — masked and armed. Police believe it was at least the fifth 7-Eleven in the area the pair held up in a matter of hours.

Then came the gunshots.

But it wasn't the robbers who fired their guns. It was a bystander in the back of the store who pulled out his.

When the chaos began at 2:10 a.m., Engel, who owns Coastal Cafe down the street, was waiting with her friend near the cash register. The store was nearly empty.

"Two gentlemen — armed, masked, robbers — came in the store with their guns up and told us to stay where we were, nobody move," she said.

"I did exactly that, I pretty much froze and looked at my friend and he looked at me, wondering, 'Is this really happening? Is this real?' "

It was real.

One of the masked men stayed near the door while the other went behind the counter and started putting money in his pockets, Engel said.

"I was looking right at him (the robber) and then I looked at the clerk, and the clerk raised his hands and said 'Come on, man, don't do this.' And not sooner than he said that, I heard a gunshot and as soon as I heard the gunshot, I dropped down to the ground and put my hands over my head and started praying because I thought the guy shot the clerk," she said.

"After that shot it was like three shots, bam, then bam bam. It could have been two, two or three."

Engel and her friend looked at each other, and then she saw the man standing beside them. He said to her, "Nobody's gonna point a gun at me and get away with it." That's when she realized he was the one who fired.

As she surveyed the gruesome scene around her, Engel saw one masked man lying on the floor, dead, and the other behind the counter asking for help after having been being seriously injured. "I was shaking in my boots," she said.

Not long after, police showed up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Good guy with a gun.

Sure sounds like it.  And assume there's video of the whole thing.  (It's a convenience store).  At least that quote sounds like he hit his targets a lot better than is typical, too.  

Another good guy with a gun:

Detroit gas station clerk shoots wrong man in attempt to stop potato chip thief

DETROIT (WXYZ) — A gas station clerk turned the table on a thief but ended up shooting the wrong person overnight in Detroit.

According to police, the clerk was trying to shoot a man who was stealing potato chips. The 27-year-old clerk came from behind the counter and shot out the front glass door. The victim was holding the door open for the alleged thief.

"Someone stealing a bag of chips does not warrant you firing a weapon. That's not acceptable -- ever," said Police Chief James Craig.