Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Gun Control Debate Thread

Dont Taze Me Bro

6 minutes ago, thegreaterbuzzette said:

your example doesn’t really work....comparing creating something new with removing something already in existence are completely different concepts.

A world without gun violence would truly be something new. 

criminalizing gun ownership I believe was your suggestion? Where you housing all these people you are arresting?

Actually, I specifically said taking away their driving liscense for a year for the first offense. But besides that, there’s no country better at incarceration than the United States. 

And the government is seizing our guns some worth well over $1000 just for free? 

Yes, there is enough of precedence for this.

4 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

A world without gun violence would truly be something new. 

Actually, I specifically said taking away their driving liscense for a year for the first offense. But besides that, there’s no country better at incarceration than the United States. 

Yup, talking to a wall.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

We could always revert back to the American legal interpretation of gun ownership pre 1970s. Maybe my recollection of mass shootings is wrong but I don't see them happening in that 200 or so years of American history with the frequency of the past 20+. 

We really miss Predicto on this thread. His legal analysis of the American gun laws prior to the GOP/NRA incestuous marriage was extremely enlightening.

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

there’s nothing in my post that is untrue or factually incorrect.

That's called cherry-picking.  

2 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I mean, a gun to the head usually ends it. 

And yet we waste so much money on lethal injections.

1 hour ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

What does that mean?  Anyway, I’ll go back to my original statement. 100 years ago people would have thought it was of the marginal lands of unicorns and fairy dust to communicate with someone who speaks a different language half a world away on an instantaneous basis. 

It it turns out all you had to do was try.

It means what you propose isn't even in the realm of theoretically happening.  Why don't you propose creating a magical force field around schools and other public places that vaporizes guns that enter it?  Seems just as likely.

1 hour ago, clietas said:

75 degrees and partly cloudy year round. The unicorns farts are cotton candy taboot.

As far as guns go just get rid of the ****ing things already. Unfortunately we all know that'll never happen. Plenty of non lethal alternatives to pretect ones self, family, and property these days. 

Since a few seem to support this, I want you to think about it a little more.  Stop and think about the state of our society right now.  Think about the current division.  Think about the fact that even after Sandy Hook and Las Vegas, there are so many that want LESS gun laws.  Now ban all guns.  Are you fine with the MASSIVE amount of blood shed that would come with that?  Like you realize that would almost guaranteed to send us into another civil war?  The fact that it is a sad reality doesn't make it any less true.  So are you good with that?  

Oh, and don't forget that all the people you'd be trying to take guns from are the ones that are actually proficient with them.

19 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Please expound on this......

14 minutes ago, thegreaterbuzzette said:

Yup, talking to a wall.

But did Mexico pay for it?

8 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

And yet we waste so much money on lethal injections.

I am with you on that.

It means what you propose isn't even in the realm of theoretically happening. 

Nothing seems to be be in the realm of theoretically happening.

Why don't you propose creating a magical force field around schools and other public places that vaporizes guns that enter it?  Seems just as likely.

Maybe a giant magnet would be more practical.

1 hour ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

It’s a fact you are more likely to be sexually assaulted by a friend than a stranger.  Having a friend who has a gun doesn’t make you safer.  You’d likely be just as safe with a friend without a gun than a friend with a gun.  Possibly safer because there isn’t a chance of accidental discharge.

How many sexual assaults are prevented by a friend with a gun each year? VS just a friend with no gun that the would be assailant thought better than to take two on at a time?

Tell that to my wife's cousin that got raped outside of her apartment building by a stranger one night a few years ago.  That night was one of the few times she forgot to put her gun in her purse (she has a concealed carry permit).

• Sad 2

23 minutes ago, visionary said:

I'm more confused by where he has each one located.  I doubt he is ambidextrous so at least one gun is set for off hand shooting.  On the left looks like a full size sig so hip carry is normal.  From what I can see the one on his back looks like a ruger gp100 which is a big gun to carry in waistband.  The one on the right I think is an S&W shield with would make more sense in a kidney position while the revolver would go on a hip holster.

:blink:

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, thegreaterbuzzette said:

Are we gonna ignore all the keys he's holding too?

I'm still trying to find out who shot his ass off.

No wonder the poor fellow is scared.

I've long stopped posting in these threads, but I'll say this...you guys can poke fun of that guy in that tweet, people can recoil in horror...but, IMO, that's the one guy that you don't have to worry about.  To those who don't own a gun, don't have any experience with guns and shelter themselves from anything to do with them, yeah, that guy is something to point and stare at.  And to even some people that do own guns, he's probably taking things a bit too far.

But from what I've read about the perpetrators that have committed mass shootings, they aren't the super pro 2nd amendment types with the dumb slogans on their tshirts who open/carry.  The woman who took that pic and posted that tweet has it wrong...she thinks that guy is the type to do what happened in VA Beach this week, most likely because she sees a gun and automatically thinks bad things.  That's not correct.  She's more worried about this guy than the awkward quiet weirdo in the corner....when it's the weirdo in the corner who's more likely to shoot the grocery store up.  The super pro 2nd amendment type she's worried about isn't a threat, yet she thinks he is because it's lazy thinking to see fat/white/redneck/cowboy hat/open carry and assume that HE'S the problem.  From a certain perspective he is a problem because he's pro-NRA....But when the **** goes down I'd rather be standing next to that guy than someone else.  

(Partially because he wouldn't be aiming for me) 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, thegreaterbuzzette said:

Are we gonna ignore all the keys he's holding too?

The number of keys you have is inversely proportional to how important you are.  Do you think the President of the United States carries any keys?  Maybe that's why he's carrying so many guns, it makes him feel important.

Edited by China

21 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Curious who here thinks this gun should be banned.......

BTW, forgot to respond to that question earlier.  

Yes, I'd be in favor of that.  (Or at least "placing a lot of restrictions on it".  Call it a "near ban".) 

At least, judging by the picture, I'm assuming it fits my criteria of "magazine fed, semi-automatic, long gun".  

(Obviously, if my "judgement based on a picture" is wrong, that's another matter.  If it's say, a BB gun that's styled to look like that, that's another matter.  My proposal is based on capability, not appearance.  But the nature of "does it apply to this picture?" forces judgement based on appearance.)  

25 minutes ago, Larry said:

My proposal is based on capability, not appearance.

We kind of moved on from the point but in the past I have posted that and then a picture of the exact same gun with a wood stock and about half the time, people say the wood stock one is fine.

33 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

We kind of moved on from the point but in the past I have posted that and then a picture of the exact same gun with a wood stock and about half the time, people say the wood stock one is fine.

Hey, I'll freely admit. Show me a long gun with a wood stock, and my brain says it's Dad's rifle. 

Granted, Dad's rifle was bolt action. I think it had a tubular magazine, but I'm not sure, since we never put more than one round in it at a time. But my memories of loading it had a spring-loaded plate that the round sat on. (But that could have just been to get the plate out of the way of the bolt). 

(In case you can't tell, my memories of that weapon involve the 2-3 times I fired it, as a kid/teen.)

edit:

Oh, and I thought you point was that the fact that the stock's "camouflage " looked like a todler's pajamas would make people think it's cute and harmless. 

(Yes, I'm teasing.)

Edited by Larry

2 minutes ago, Larry said:

Hey, I'll freely admit. Show me a long gun with a wood stock, and my brain says it's Dad's rifle. 

Granted, Dad's rifle was bolt action. I think it had a tubular magazine, but I'm not sure, since we never put more than one round in it at a time. But my memories of loading it had a spring-loaded plate that the round sat on. (But that could have just been to get the plate out of the way of the bolt). 

(In case you can't tell, my memories of that weapon involve the 2-3 times I fired it, as a kid/teen.)

I was trying to highlight my frustration that many of the people with strong opinions on gun control really don't know much about guns.  Another example is people wanting to get rid of semiautomatic long guns but are okay with pistols.  Legally, this is a pistol.

VT16-Executive-Pistol3.jpg