Dont Taze Me Bro

The Gun Control Debate Thread - Say hello to my little thread

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
Quote

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — A Florida woman’s effort to protect herself from domestic violence has become a flashpoint in the debate over gun rights and victims’ safety.

Courtney Irby gave her estranged husband’s guns to police after he was charged with domestic violence-aggravated battery, only to find herself arrested for theft.

Now a Florida lawmaker and gun safety advocates are championing her cause, asking a state attorney on Monday drop the charges, while gun rights advocates want her prosecuted.

Courtney Irby spent six days in jail on charges of armed burglary and grand theft after she retrieved the assault rifle and handgun from her husband’s apartment and gave them to the Lakeland Police. Joseph Irby was spending one day in jail at the time, accused of ramming into her car after a June 14 divorce hearing.

Quote

Courtney Irby told police that she believed he wouldn’t turn in his guns himself, so she took action. According to her arrest report, she said she entered her husband’s apartment through a locked door without his permission and took the guns to a police station.

“So you’re telling me you committed an armed burglary?” the officer asked her.

“Yes, I am but he wasn’t going to turn them in so I am doing it,” the officer said she responded.

 

Edited by Cooked Crack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would certainly hope that, to be armed burglary, you have to be armed when you break IN. 

 

But, Florida. 

 

And yeah, she did admit to breaking in to his apartment, and stealing something that wasn't hers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

God damnit. 

 

Sometimes it’s better to not be inflexible. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Larry said:

I would certainly hope that, to be armed burglary, you have to be armed when you break IN. 

 

But, Florida. 

 

And yeah, she did admit to breaking in to his apartment, and stealing something that wasn't hers. 

 

I imagine it is if you are armed during the crime.which if you are stealing guns is kinda obvious.

I'd be in favor of leniency, but .....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Lol. “We are no longer staying on message”, says Wayne LaPierre as the NRA spent the last several years becoming Fox News lite. 

 

The NRA is struggling. Outspent in 2018 by gun safety advocates, had NRA backed candidates lose all over the country in suburbs and now their finances are dwindling amid investigations by Congress and the NY AG. 

 

CA is also passing a set of gun safety laws on July 1st. I think it is safe to say that the NRA no longer has the messaging upper hand that it enjoyed at the height of its political power. Moms Demand/Everytown, which were formed post-Newtown, have shut that gap. I’ve been a donor to Moms Demand for a year. Great org to support if this is an issue you care for.

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here’s what NRATV goon Dana Loesch had to say about Moms Demand when it was getting started:

 

 

Within five years, #boredwomen from Moms Demand outspent the NRA in elections, elected the largest group of gun safety advocates across each level of government and forced the NRA to shut down its propaganda arm. The anti-NRA ads were writing themselves since NRATV was like the love child of Fox News and InfoWars. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, No Excuses said:

The NRA is struggling. Outspent in 2018 by gun safety advocates, had NRA backed candidates lose all over the country in suburbs and now their finances are dwindling amid investigations by Congress and the NY AG. 

 

CA is also passing a set of gun safety laws on July 1st. I think it is safe to say that the NRA no longer has the messaging upper hand that it enjoyed at the height of its political power. Moms Demand/Everytown, which were formed post-Newtown, have shut that gap. I’ve been a donor to Moms Demand for a year. Great org to support if this is an issue you care for.

 

I mean, I'm thrilled about this, but let's keep it in perspective.  The NRA's standard for "struggling" is "not being the first or second most influential lobby in the country."  They've taken a hit, but they are still going to be a very effective lobbying force for the foreseeable future, so efforts need to be continue to be made to ****ing stomp on their neck counter their messaging in favor of reasonable gun control measures, changing the national attitude about what "reasonable gun laws" even means, making NRA political support a kiss of death rather than a sought-out endorsement and to make sure that no other gun lobbying group simply picks up where the NRA left off due to its internal mismanagement and squabbling.  There is still a mass shooting just about every day in this country, we have so far to go.  

 

But this is definitely good news and I agree that a ton of progress has been made in the last few years.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OH NO, Not the NRA, how terrible I can't believe it, what a tragedy for America, how will we possibly survive, couldn't have happened to a better group, this is so unfair and sad, oh no can I get an F in chat

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

 

I mean, I'm thrilled about this, but let's keep it in perspective.  The NRA's standard for "struggling" is "not being the first or second most influential lobby in the country."  They've taken a hit, but they are still going to be a very effective lobbying force for the foreseeable future, so efforts need to be continue to be made to ****ing stomp on their neck counter their messaging in favor of reasonable gun control measures, changing the national attitude about what "reasonable gun laws" even means, making NRA political support a kiss of death rather than a sought-out endorsement and to make sure that no other gun lobbying group simply picks up where the NRA left off due to its internal mismanagement and squabbling.  There is still a mass shooting just about every day in this country, we have so far to go.  

 

But this is definitely good news and I agree that a ton of progress has been made in the last few years.  

 

Best way to kill the NRA would be to keep electing Republican presidents. Unfortunately as soon as the WH changes hands they’ll get a nice influx of donations. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

 

Best way to kill the NRA would be to keep electing Republican presidents. Unfortunately as soon as the WH changes hands they’ll get a nice influx of donations. 

 

I think the equation against the NRA has fundamentally changed. A huge swath of the young electorate and people living in educated suburbs have come to view them as a hyper-partisan, right wing extremist organization. Their favorability ratings amongst the public took a huge nose dive in 2018: http://www.businessinsider.com/nra-poll-popularity-favorability-more-americans-dislike-2018-3

 

Dana Loesch and NRATV was probably the worst thing the NRA did. The cartoonishly evil and conspiratorial programming really destroyed their credibility. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.