Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Gun Control Debate Thread

Dont Taze Me Bro

39 minutes ago, Bang said:

As some may know, i work for a small local news org.

We got death threats over facebook yesterday.
"I'll kill all of y'all".  "Y'all out in public enough" and other assorted gun threats. Sheriff has been alerted.

Yay. Door locked and window open.
the 'good news"... it's not political.. but neither was the one in Annapolis.

~John (Not using my moniker on this one.)

Anything in particular that set this dude off?  Try to stay safe.  I know if it were me, I'd say damn the gun laws, I'm carrying.

• Like 1

I can't say much, but i did want to say something. Been a nervous day. Working in news is getting scary.. even small town stuff like this.

We know what set him off, if it is that.. the account that sent the messages is a fake. Sheriff is on it.

~J

• Like 1

Thanks,, and i don't want to be overly dramatic.. but it is going on, and this place is one of my releases where i can talk, if that makes sense. It helps.

And of course today we have had about 6 people knocking on our door, all looking for the place upstairs.

(there is an ophthalmologist upstairs and enough people come to our door that i want to make a very blurry sign that says "Ophthalmologist second floor")

4 Pm yet?

~Bang

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Anyone know if we can sell guns in the Classified section here?  I know the rules thread says anything that is legal but wasn't sure.  Serious question.

EDIT:  Maybe I should ask a Mod.  Hmmmm.....who is the most gun friendly mod?  @zoony

Edited by TheGreatBuzz

28 minutes ago, visionary said:

Only throwing this in because my wife and I both have Florida CCW licenses.  I didn't have to do anything but show a military ID and got mine.  People mistakenly think everyone in the military is a firearms expert.  My wife actually took the course.  Didn't learn anything useful.  And the "life fire experience " was firing one round out of a .22 revolver.  After her class, I provided the training. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tshile said:

The Florida handicap parking thing is why you should keep your hands to yourself. Especially in a stand your ground state. It’s just not worth it. 

you should certainly not use force if not needed.

5 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

It’s also why they shouldn’t have that law. I watched the video... that was a murder.

I don't know that it's murder. He was attacked.

Dumb situation all the way around. Stupid reason for someone to lose a life. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, tshile said:

I'm of 2 minds about that one.  Yeah, he was attacked.  If he had pulled and shot, then I'd say it was a bad situation but it was self defense.  But as soon as the gun was pulled the attacker backed off.  Showing the weapon was clearly enough to stop the attack.  But after the attacker backed off then the dude shot him.  I don't get how you can still feel deathly threatened when you're holding someone at gun point who is walking away.  I am generally OK with Stand Your Ground type laws, but I don't think it was employed correctly in this instance.  The man should not have shot; it wasn't justified IMO.

2 minutes ago, Stugein said:

I'm of 2 minds about that one.  Yeah, he was attacked.  If he had pulled and shot, then I'd say it was a bad situation but it was self defense.  But as soon as the gun was pulled the attacker backed off.  Showing the weapon was clearly enough to stop the attack.  But after the attacker backed off then the dude shot him.  I don't get how you can still feel deathly threatened when you're holding someone at gun point who is walking away.  I am generally OK with Stand Your Ground type laws, but I don't think it was employed correctly in this instance.  The man should not have shot; it wasn't justified IMO.

There was only a second gun pulled and shot fired. Not really enough time to gather your thoughts and re-evaluate after having determined you're being attacked.

13 minutes ago, tshile said:

There was only a second gun pulled and shot fired. Not really enough time to gather your thoughts and re-evaluate after having determined you're being attacked.

I get that, yeah.  Watching events unfold on video after the fact isn't the same as in the heat of the moment.  At the end of the day the dad shouldn't have initiated violence. 

1 hour ago, tshile said:

That was murder.  He brandished the gun, and the "attack" was over. 

There is another point here too.  The car was parked illegally in a handicapped spot, and someone called the driver on it.  The victim escalated the situation by shoving the guy to the ground because he was having an argument with his girlfriend.  There is no reason to escalate the situation by becoming physical, especially in Florida.  There was also zero reason to shoot a guy as he backed away, which is why I would classify this as a murder (probably 2nd degree).  We need to address shootings like this, but we also need to address civility.  We are sorely lacking civility in society today...

Edited by Popeman38
  • Like 3

I dont like the situation where the initial aggressor uses the "stand your ground" defense. You start an argument with a stranger, argument escalates and you shoot someone bc it escalated.

Anyone of us could have been shot by this guy. I wouldnt have pushed him right away but I could easily envision where I walk out to my car and see some guy arguing with my wife and we both start arguing in each others faces and this guy "feels threatened" and shoots me.

Can I walk around and start verbal arguments with people then shoot them when they confront me?

I understood "stand your ground" as applied to the castle doctrine. I understand "stand your ground" when tries to strong arm or rob you or just looking for a fight.

I dont understand the emboldened vigilante warrior. 

16 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

I dont like the situation where the initial aggressor uses the "stand your ground" defense. You start an argument with a stranger, argument escalates and you shoot someone bc it escalated.

Is that what happened here?

Its an interesting line to try to draw. Where did he contribute to the escalation and didn’t contribute. 

Arguing with a person is fine. It wasn’t even the person he was arguing with that attacked him. 

Itd be nice to have audio and know exactly how the shooter was conducting himself. 

19 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

Can I walk around and start verbal arguments with people then shoot them when they confront me?

In florida, if by confront you mean attack, yes 

arguing isn’t a justified reason to put your hands on someone. 

Being assaulted is a justifiable reason to shoot someone in Florida. 

• Haha 1

The video has no sound. But watch.  Sure -the guy shouldn't have shoved the shooter..BUT...

The argument was loud. Watch people walk in. EVERYONE who parks and is seen turns and watches.  The argument is 100% loud and causing a scene. So the guy with the gun is obviously having more then just small discussion.  

In fact -it was loud enough that the victim was alerted to it and came running out of the store to protect his family. Yes... 

Dont forget - you are in a store and you hear that some guy is standing at your car yelling at your GF, her 2 kids under 6, and your 5 year old son.  

What would you do? 

You run out and see someone yelling at them and standing RIGHT above the door...

TO be honest -if the victim had a gun and opened fire - wouldn't he have ALSO been able to claim "Stand your ground".  Couldn't he say he was worried for the safety for his family as this clear aggressor was.

So lets give a high level recap.  A family (Woman of 2 kids under six, her Boyfriend, and his son of 5) stopped to run into the store and pick something up.  She parked in a handicap space. (Shouldn't have done it -but it wasn't even "parked". she was standing there.  Im thinking most of us have done something like this.

Guy starts yelling at her.  Loud enough to draw the attention of bystanders and the father in the store.    Farther comes out and sees someone fighting with his loved ones in a aggressive way standing above the car door.  

He shoves the guy away from his family.  Not the best choice, but not one completely unreasonable.  

The guy pulls out a guy - and quickly the other guy backs up.  The threat (if there ever is one) is over.  He shoots anyway. Its murder. Not only that - but based on the actual statue - the sheriff is wrong not to charge him.  

Stand your ground includes a presumption of  justification in a dwelling, residence, or vehicle. This was in none of those.  So there is no presumption of justification.  He is still legally ok to use stand your ground, if he can   show that he "REASONABLE believes that such force was needed to prevent death or serious body harm".  Because it was outside in a parking lot it is not presumed to be ok. He (The shooter) needs to show that it was reasonable.  

Being pushed away from someones car and family to me, does not equal a "Reasonable" assumption that his life was in danger or that he risked more harm.  

Edit - ALSO - Reading the actual law. there is this "The justifications for use of force will also not apply where the evidence establishes that the defendant initially provoked violence against him- or herself.".

In my mind -watching the video - the defendant did initially provoke the violence.  Dont stand over a car yelling at a women with 3 preschool kids in the car and be shocked when someone pushes you.  

Edited by TMK9973
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, tshile said:

Is that what happened here?

Its an interesting line to try to draw. Where did he contribute to the escalation and didn’t contribute. 

The owner of the convenience store in Clearwater told ABC affiliate WFTS that Drejka had assaulted customers in the store’s parking lot before. And Rich Kelly, who frequents the store, claimed Drejka picked a fight with him over a parking spot about a month ago, calling him racial slurs and threatening to kill him, WFTS reported.

“He wanted somebody to be angry at. He just wanted someone to fight him,” Jacobs said in an interview with "Good Morning America" on Monday. “He was picking a fight. I’m just sitting, waiting for my family to come back to the car.”

“By this time a witness pulls up and everybody hears us going back and forth with one another. ... A witness goes in the store and he let the owner know that there was somebody out there messing with a woman in a car,” she said. “My man hears what’s going on, sees the guy yelling at me and I’m sitting in the car. My man is defending me and his children, so he pushes him down.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/victims-girlfriend-says-florida-gunman-provoked-fatal-stand-095904222--abc-news-topstories.html

------------------------------------------------

It seems like this guy was waiting for the moment to use his gun.

The point I am making is .... a person shouldnt be confronting people over parking spaces and then be able to shot and kill someone because a "confrontation" ensues. It seems like baiting and fishing, just looking for an argument. Much like your obtuse post. My post was clear - I am talking about the initial aggressor ... who was the stranger who decided to create a situation with a mom waiting in a car. She didnt start with him, he started with her. He went to her car. He originated and escalated the situation.

But you know this and you know what my point was.

No need for back and forth Tshile, Im not going to waste time arguing semantics and opinions with you. You are just looking for a disagreement much like this a hole was.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, tshile said:

that is entirely on him.

He only gave himself a second to make any assessment when he pulled the trigger.

He pulled the gun, he pulled the trigger. The only thing that made it a fast developing situation was him.

this is murder.

~Bang

• Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, Bang said:

that is entirely on him.

He only gave himself a second to make any assessment when he pulled the trigger.

He pulled the gun, he pulled the trigger. The only thing that made it a fast developing situation was him.

this is murder.

That sounds great, but is not how these things are actually evaluated.

1 hour ago, TMK9973 said:

Shouldn't have done it -but it wasn't even "parked". she was standing there.  Im thinking most of us have done something like this.

... no.

Edited by tshile

53 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

The point I am making is .... a person shouldnt be confronting people over parking spaces and then be able to shot and kill someone because a "confrontation" ensues. It seems like baiting and fishing, just looking for an argument. Much like your obtuse post

Ah, so now we're going to be a jerk about it all.

You're allowed to "confront" someone about illegally parking. I don't know that it's wise, but you're allowed.

You're not allowed to physically shove someone to the ground.

You are allowed to defend yourself with a gun.

I don't like it either, but it's the law in Florida.

The situation doesn't get violent until the father gets involved. That's what the sheriff looked at. The father escalated the situation. The father made the situation a violent one. It doesn't really matter what you think, the video is clear. Unfortunately the other dude had a gun. It doesn't even matter if the shooter goes to jail or not, the father lost his life over something stupid.

Edited by tshile

I mean, unless the video I saw was in slow motion that’s not justifiable imo.... the guy pushed the guy away from his wife, the guy fell, the pusher started to walk away, a second or two later the guy shoots him... two seconds is a long time... long enough to determine the guy is moving away from you...

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84