Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Gun Control Debate Thread

Dont Taze Me Bro

@TheGreatBuzz  The amount of support for NRA doesn't shock me, its why they're winning, correlation is there.  As for thinking anything won't work, that's not what it is, its the unwritten understanding that no matter what law we make, we won't be able to get the ones on the streets completely off the streets.  We'd have to go house to house, no one wants that.  That point is to make it harder to commit mass murder with high power firearms, right now its easy.

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

As for thinking anything won't work, that's not what it is, its the unwritten understanding that no matter what law we make, we won't be able to get the ones on the streets completely off the streets.  

And that is what it means to you.  But you don't know that is what all the people in the poll were thinking.  I would argue that if we got some, but not all, off the street that gun crime would still go down just based on statistical availability.  

10 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I took a few statistics classes.  Enough to get me in trouble.  Anyways, I wish some of these polls had more info.  Sample size, mean/mode/median, levels of deviation, etc.  Where was this poll taken?  Demographics of participants?  Manipulating those is the key to making a poll say what you want.

For real, if the polls aren't close 50/50 conservatives vs liberals, you can argue its useless.  This one is pretty reputable, but I need to look up if they ask or know, if it is indeed random, or there's different lists some of them go by.

6 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

And that is what it means to you.  But you don't know that is what all the people in the poll were thinking.  I would argue that if we got some, but not all, off the street that gun crime would still go down just based on statistical availability.  

We can't get the ones off the street that are illegal already, there's no need to ask that.  Stats around the world show less guns, less gun crime, availability makes sense, a lot of people are in denial of that, argue we should add more guns to deal with the ones we already have.

Edit:  If you did a poll right now on whether one believed we could get all the guns off the street, you know the answer.   We'd have to be something we don't want to be to pull that off.

Edited by Renegade7

16 minutes ago, tshile said:

Those who pray on the uneducated and angry are always going to win unless we change something about our culture. 

Hard to change someone’s mind when they are starting from a place not grounded in fact and reality. 

(Less a gun control specific comment, more a comment on the role statistics play in politics these days) 

True... in the meantime... universal background checks and metal detectors in schools.  If we're not at the agreement of what guns to limit yet, lets wait a little longer or until we are, these polls are historical to show trends.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

One thing I take from all those polls, especially the more question specific ones, is that opinions are roughly where the politicians want them.  Just close enough to the middle for the Right to have support for not doing crap and the Left to keep it as a talking point.  I said a while ago that politicians don't really want anything done because then they would lose the talking point.

6 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I said a while ago that politicians don't really want anything done because then they would lose the talking point.

That's pretty cynical, I don't believe its that bad, Dems shutdown the government over DACA.

4 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Hi, Buzz, I recommend a fair amount of attention to probability over worst case scenario : )

Last time I did that, Hillary was probably going to win but we instead got the worst case scenario.

And then my cynicism was cemented. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Last time I did that, Hillary was probably going to win but we instead got the worst case scenario.

And then my cynicism was cemented. 

You're not always going to be right on either one. Which is most likely the happen, the chance of it happening, or worst case scenario?  You're supposed to prepare for the worst, not expect it.

23 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

By no means an impartial source.  But I too have struggled with keeping up to date and understanding changing gun laws.  

https://www.themaven.net/bluelivesmatter/news/california-farmer-charged-with-12-felonies-after-trying-to-register-his-guns-KaYA9xPcY0eSpeNnNm6PCw/

Noting that the article does not even mention what these 12 felonies were.  (And, obviously, if they're writing the article, then they have the charges, or at least can get them.)  

On 6/4/2018 at 8:25 AM, Roger.Staubach said:

Huh?  

bringing a gun in the bar ....somewhat excusable

having a round in the chamber....inexcusable in that circumstance

doing flips w/one.... inexcusable

snatching it it up inside the trigger guard....inexcusable

people like him give Glocks a bad name  :silly:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1