Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Color vs. Color Jerseys on Thursday Night Football

Dan T.

Ever since the NFL became a television-centric sport in the football-crazed America of the late 1950s, the league has mandated that one team must wear a white uniform while the other wears a color uniform in NFL games.  This was needed so that viewers watching on their 20 inch black and white television could easily tell the teams apart. 

That is changing, at least for Thursday night games.  Starting in 2016, each team playing on Thursday night will be required to wear a color uniform instead of white.  For 2015, the color on color look will be voluntary.

http://www.uni-watch.com/2015/07/29/nfl-going-color-vs-color-for-thursday-night-games/

So... will we be seeing burgundy vs. blue Thursday night?

truebluelarry over on Big Blue Interactive says the last time that happened in a Skins-Giants game was November 22, 1953:

P4ujRHD.jpg

http://corner.bigblueinteractive.com/index.php?mode=2&thread=521222

Wouldn't mind it.  I like the burgundy jerseys but never been a fan of the gold pants.  Color scheme and uniforms absolutely have psychological effects on players and fans I think.  I'm sure romoSUCKS breaking his collarbone while the team wore their unlucky blues added some fuel to Dallas's hatred for those jerseys.

I wish they made Thanksgiving weekend throwback weekend for every team.

Wouldn't mind it.  Color scheme and uniforms absolutely have psychological effects on players I think.  romoSUCKS breaking his collarbone while the team wore their unlucky blues added some fuel to Dallas's hatred for those jerseys I'm sure.

I wish they made Thanksgiving weekend throwback weekend for every team.

Joe Gibbs always made the Cowboys wear blue at RFK to feed into Cowboys' fears that their blue jerseys were a jinx.  Belichck did it too with the Patriots against the Cowboys, knowing from his days as a Giants assistant about the supposed jinx.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2011/10/16/against_patriots_cowboys_will_cope_with_case_of_the_blues/?camp=pm

Call me old fashioned, I like the one team in white as well.  Trying to change this up for only Thursday Night Football is the NFL's way of admitting the every Thursday game plan is probably suffering in the ratings war and they will throw anything up against the wall to make it stick.

Burgundy on burgundy has been tried, believe the last time we did it we were pantsed by the Steelers, 23-6 or something like that and FedEx looked like Heinz Field South. I refer to that color combination as the Grape Ape look.

That was Zorn year 1. We then wore burgundy jerseys/burgundy pants in Zorn year 2, that MNF swinging gate play against the Giants in December (Monday night before Christmas) and the following weekend, SNF home game against Dallas where we lost 17-0.

How does that work with teams that have very similar colors?  e.g a Chiefs-Redskins game, or a Jets-Eagles game?

I remember going to an Illinois-Wisconsin basketball game in college where both teams chose to wear their colored jerseys (Orange for the Illini, Red for the Badgers).  It was sometimes confusing at the game, but when I got home and watched the highlights it was really hard to tell the two jerseys apart.

EDIT: OK, it looks the article already starts to cover some of this, but there really aren't many great options for some teams. It seems ridiculous to force this on teams.  The NFL really wants TNF to be a thing.  

That was Zorn year 1. We then wore burgundy jerseys/burgundy pants in Zorn year 2, that MNF swinging gate play against the Giants in December (Monday night before Christmas) and the following weekend, SNF home game against Dallas where we lost 17-0.

That brief history right there should not only retire that combination but perhaps be burned in effigy and never spoken of again. :lol:

Thursday night football sucks to watch.

Maybe we go Burgundy tops and bottoms!!

They should make it played by Lingerie League teams!

Back to topic, I don't really care color vs color. I'm not that old school and have always like evolution in anything, just like Darwin taught us.

But I still don't like the gold pants...

But I still don't like the gold pants...

Maybe they've decided it's too much like Florida State, then they could do truly gold pants rather than french's mustard yellow.  I wouldn't mind that, though it would clash with the helmet stripes right now.

What happens when teams of similar color plays each other?

Chaos without end.

Maybe they've decided it's too much like Florida State, then they could do truly gold pants rather than french's mustard yellow.  I wouldn't mind that, though it would clash with the helmet stripes right now.

The "yellow" we wear is a shade of gold that is aptly named "Maize."

Archived