Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NBC 4 - David Amerson RELEASED

Dan T.

Totally blew past the argument...we went after any/all secondary players we could because THAT was a weakness..got a QB,RB in 2012. Got Reed TE...NEEDED secondary (Most agreed with the strategy and that 2013 was a WEAK Draft)...well guess what..we DRAFTED Heavy secondary...with what we HAD after the RGIII trades.

You keep laughing...hard and long...keeps you from hearing the laughter generated by your non-rebuttal.

Read the posts and the bleacher report on the 2013 draft...Amerson WAS thought to be a GOOD to VERY GOOD pick...don't revise history because you have a *thing* for Shanny..Rambo was also considered a good gamble on a baller. The DC and DB coaches couldn't coach themselves outa a paper bag...THAT was the problem

I don't remember the good to vefy good stuff you are talking about. Any links?

Damn, I know he has struggled but I'm kind of surprised.  I like the message though, if you ain't cuttin' it you ain't kickin' it with Redskin Nation!  Hail yeah!

I didn't understand why we drafted him so high in the first place.  He had alot of int's in college but had some major concerns in coverage fundamentals.  I had a feeling he would be just another Barnes/Crawford/Rambo/Thomas/Tryon/Bernstine/Horton/Moore/Gomes....phew!

because most draft predictions said he wouldn't be there later.  He was a second or third round pick

Our defense basically about to pitch a shutout until Amerson had to come in for Hall. They immediately targeted him, as I'm sure when Breeland was suspended they made it part of their gameplan to exploit him. He got beat for a TD with the slowest spin move I've ever seen. He deserves to be a FA, I do wish him well on the next team he plays on. May be best for him to sit the rest of the season out, hire a personal coach and work on his technique. 

I actually really liked the pick when we drafted him. The guy was turnover machine in college. Had 18 interceptions in 2 seasons. He also won the Jack Tatum award. He definitely got beat in college but I thought we could teach that out of him. It's the draft. You hit some and you miss some that's just how it goes. I wish him well on his next team.

Agreed! Was pretty impressive coming out of school. But love the way the staff/ Scot, not playing around

Maybe if they're desperate. Chances are better he is signed as a longshot by somebody next year and will have to compete for a roster spot. If I signed someone midseason, they would need to be someone who has shown they can pick things up quickly, and that's not Amerson unfortunately.

Guarantee someone will, in the hopes of trying to make him better not to mention he's still insanely young. There are plenty of stories where one teams trash at CB turns into someone else treasure. I.E Carlos Rogers.

Guarantee someone will, in the hopes of trying to make him better not to mention he's still insanely young. There are plenty of stories where one teams trash at CB turns into someone else treasure. I.E Carlos Rogers.

Carlos was our best corner when he left us, far from being trash. The one change in SF is he actually had eye surgery to repair his vision and stopped dropping picks. His resume when he left compared to Amerson when we cut him are apples and oranges.

It's true that Shanahan sucked as a GM, but people are forgetting that after the 2013 season, we thought we had a corner of the future:

Amerson was once ranked as the best corner back in the 2013 NFL draft, but fell to the second round, and the Redskins snagged him there.  He showed promise in 2013, putting together a solid rookie season and giving the Redskins hope for a solid young corner. However, his regression last season was pretty dramatic, getting beat often, confusing coverages, and missing tackles.

http://dcprosportsreport.com/redskins-release-fromer-second-rounder-david-amerson/

Always wondered what happened to his skills; why'd he fall off a cliff?  

I don't remember the good to vefy good stuff you are talking about. Any links?

Too lazy right now to look up links for ya but I can tell you a couple things about each:

Amerson - led the nation one year in interceptions, was supposed to be a raw player but a great athlete that was a ball hawk. I think Shanahan was hoping for a good football player who was going to come up with a lot of takeaways here rather than an elite corner - a la DHall. Was always a boom or bust type player but they were so spun up about taking as many players in that draft as they could that had created turnovers in college. 

Rambo - he was supposedly rated a round or two higher than where we took him but had known issue(s) with marijuana in college so it was seen as a value pick for us. I think many thought he was going to be much better but realistically was about a fifth round type guy, maybe fourth at best. Either way most here at least would agree it seemed like good value at the time. 

Thomas - another guy, like Amerson, that led the nation in picks one year in college. This, to me was the most surprising of the three in terms of how his career played out (if you could call it a career...too many injuries). I'm fairly positive Gruden said he thought Thomas could and was playing at a very high level in the box but just needed to stay healthy. That no longer seems the case. 

I'd say of the three, Amerson was easily the biggest risk based on where he was taken in the draft. Plenty of guys that could have been taken there that were much less of a risk and had just as much upside. As already mentioned the Tyrann Mathieu was one of those players - much better play in college with really his only risk being his issue with marijuana. One has to ask themselves though, how good of a situation it would have been for him here. I still think it would have been a better pick but Mathieu himself has said having Patrick Peterson in Arizona made it the ideal situation and to be honest, as a person I'm happy he went there too because it clearly has made a very positive impact on his life...not it would have turned out the same here. 

Always wondered what happened to his skills; why'd he fall off a cliff?  

Yeah and TK said he regressed every year so there was talent to begin with.

Kinda tells me that these two:  

hi-res-8ad2147dee3da5b704a53702c49e4781_

uh... guh... duh....

and

Raheem_zpsks52dfna.jpg?t=1442806342

... now follow me David... it goes "patty-cake patty-cake

baker's man" 

got together and by way of their version of NFL teaching proceeded to get Amerson dumbed up good.

Just idle speculation.

redskins-vikings-foot_lanc_c0-0-3084-179

velocet

Archived