Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage & Interactive Game Day Thread: 2015 #Redskins verses Dolphins - Final

JimmiJo

ES Coverage & Interactive Game Day Thread: 2015 Redskins verses Dolphins

09/13/15

Ladies and Gentlemen. Brothers and Sisters. Boys and Girls.

Welcome to the new Washington Redskins season. It seems like it took forever to get here. Too long have we wandered in the wilderness that is the NFL off-season, subsisting on scraps of preseason games and unexpected quarterback controversies.

My name is JimmiJo and I am joined by my partner of old, The Murf. You old-timers will remember the days when Murf and me were your regular lineup. It feels great to be teamed up again.

So what can we expect from this new season? The addition of Scot McCloughan has brought the expectation of an upgraded roster, and we've seen a glimpse of this in the play of the backups in the preseason. Washington's backups shined throughout and some real gems emerged.

I am excited at the addition of guys like Matt Jones and Jamison Crowder. Will our new shiny right tackle, er, guard, Brandon Sherff be all we hoped? Does this mean the line will be better?

They will have to be as they are facing one of the better defensive fronts courtesy of the Miami Dolphins.

Of course, we will all be watching the play of the quarterback. Will we see better production than we have seen the last few years? I know every errant pass will bring out the Robert Griffin supporters, who will say; "I guess that throw was Robert's fault?" Expect this for the duration of his stay on the roster.  

What are your keys to victory today for Washington? What is the game plan? I think it is something like run successfully to set up play action. Defensively, keep everything in front and do not give up the big play. 

Stand by...

Inactives

The Redskins declared the following players as inactive:

o   No. 10 QB Robert Griffin III

o   No. 19 WR Rashad Ross

o   No. 53 LB Jackson Jeffcoat

o   No. 61 G Spencer Long

o   No. 68 T Tom Compton

o   No. 74 G Arie Kouandjio

o   No. 85 TE Anthony McCoy

On Saturday, the Redskins signed No. 96 linebacker Houston Bates (6-3, 250) to their active roster from the team’s practice squad. The team released No. 73 defensive end Frank Kearse.

The Dolphins declared the following players as inactive:

o   No. 29 CB Will Davis

o   No. 36 CB Tony Lippett

o   No. 38 RB Jonas Gray

o   No. 58 LB Chris McCain

o   No. 74 T Jason Fox

o   No. 83 WR Matt Hazel

o   No. 96 DT A.J. Francis

On Friday, the Dolphins signed No. 65 center Sam Brenner (6-2, 310) and No. 38 running back Jonas Gray (5-10, 225) to their active roster from the team’s practice squad. The team released No. 66 center/guard Jacques McClendon and No. 5 quarterback Logan Thomas.

12:40PM

I should have mentioned the weather. It is absolutely spectacular here, low-seventies and sun-washed. Murf is on the sidelines already, be sure to say hello if you see him.

One of my listeners in the UK emailed me to ask what I thought about today's game. I replied that today is a good barometer for the team; not in terms of winning or losing (though the former would be much better) but rather in terms of their ability offensively to handle pressure up front. Defensively, can they deal with a mobile quarterback and not give up the big play? 

As far as winning and losing: If Washington expects to have a Cinderella season, it begins today with a glass slipper named; 'Victory.' 

Please follow me in-game on Twitter @Skinscast.

Half

Brilliant first half badly tainted by the drive the defense gave up at the end. With Miami getting the ball to start the 2nd half, another such drive and the Dolphins are leading and all the good work of that first half is erased.

Washington did a great job with the offense and until that last drive, a great job on defense. 

Injuries matter however, and I was told the Dolphins threw at DeAngelo Hall's replacement, David Amerson, seven straight times. He of course slipped on the play Miami scored on.

See you after...

Photos

https://www.flickr.com/gp/extremeskins/j17i7s

JimmiJo

We ended up where I thought we would, but we took a different path. I thought we would see a good amount of offense, not enough defense, and little-to-no special teams. Instead, we saw a lot of run offense, a good amount of defense, and little-to-no special teams.

In the post-game presser I asked Kirk Cousins if this is something to build on, or more of the same. I did this because he was sounding pretty frustrated with losing. He articulated some good things about this new Redskins team and said he was optimistic.

I agree. 

This team posted 349-yards of offense, with 161-yards rushing. Alfred Morris ran for 121-yards. The Redskins dominated time of possession 37:54 to 22:06. The offensive line allowed only one sack. The defense surrendered just 256-yards, committed three sacks and a forced fumble. 

Speaking of Cousins, I thought he did ok. He was decisive and sharp early on. There were a few occasions when he split coverage beautifully. He looked really impressive until he threw that first pick.

Gruden all but absolved him it, saying it was a miscommunication on the scramble. He said they work on this in practice. Cousins went on to say Jordan Reed thought he would run and subsequently ran up the sideline prior to the ball being thrown. The second interception was a great play by the defensive back. It was a jump ball and Pierre Garcon didn't win.

Cousins finished 21-of-31 for 196-yards, one touchdown and two interceptions. 

The bad side of this game started with injuries to DeSean Jackson and Duke Ihenacho. Head coach Jay Gruden said the playbook had to change following Jackson's injury, as they had installed six or seven deep shots for him. Trenton Robinson did a alright job in relief for Ihenacho, but things changed once the starting safety went out. At the end of the first half, DeAngelo Hall was out with bruised ribs and David Amerson was abused seven straight throws. The result was Miami's first touchdown.

Then there were the penalties. The Redskins committed 11 for 88-yards. Three successive penalties took the team out of scoring range on one drive. You can't win like that.

Then there's special teams. I tweeted after they gave up the return that I have yet to learn how to pronounce the special teams coach's name. Now I never will. Time for a new one. Yes I know there are injuries galore. I don't care. I need a scapegoat and he looks like a good one.

But seriously, this was a frustrating loss. Mostly because they made us believe in the first half. They dominated a Miami team reported to have one of the better defensive fronts. They ran very effectively, which set up some very nice pass plays. Defensively, they played much better as a whole than what we have seen. There is definitely reasons for optimism there.

Gruden announced Jackson is going to get an MRI on the hamstring to see the extent. Ditto for Ihenacho and his wrist. Expect Washington activate Rashad Ross for next week, but not sure what they can do about safety. Bashaud Breeland coming off suspension should help in that they can convert someone to safety (possibly). 

One thing they should do is sign Lorenzo Alexander to help with teams. Yes, he is old. However he is a proven leader and a heck of a teams guy.

I know this one stings (they all do). But I am encouraged by this team. I expect them to both win and lose their share this year. But after one game, it is clear to me this team is improved. The run game was impressive, as was the defense for much of the day. And the picks notwithstanding, Cousins' play affirmed the correct decision in promoting him to be the starter.

I enjoyed it folks - be back with you next week.

I'm surprisingly excited and nervous and also can't wait. I'm prepared for just about anything on the field happening. As for the board, I pretty much know it's nature, and right now I'm pessimistic about what the level of <insert term> will be like even if we do ok, let alone if we do very poorly.

I'm surprisingly excited and nervous and also can't wait. I'm prepared for just about anything on the field happening. As for the board, I pretty much know it's nature, and right now I'm pessimistic about what the level of <insert term> will be like even if we do ok, let alone if we do very poorly.

good luck to you today. Excited to see how our 2 rookies, subs and Martin can hang. How angry zooney gets. Will TK snap and start hammering noobs.

Should be an interesting day for you guys. Good luck out there. Ols

ALLLLLLLLL-RIIIIIGHTY THEN!

Finally, week 1 is here! :D

I hope we get a W outta this, but just look like a functional team. If you're just beat by a better team, so be it, but don't go out there looking like Ringling Bros. complete with cotton candy and 64oz big gulp.

Kirk, keep your composure, o-line, protect the QB, WRs run like gazelles & cut on a dime, defense, well, just show up, that'll be a BIG change, and team-wise, make this a business deal, and seal it !

SIC

As I stepped out of my vehicle and began my trek from the media lot to the entrance down at field level, I began to feel a little nostalgic. Eleven years ago, a group of diehard Redskins fans asked me to be a part of their coverage team and, more than a decade later, I'm still here.

Sure, my day job and family take up considerable amount of my time, which limits how many games I cover these days, but it is still an absolute honor and privilege to be afforded this access. All these years later, I still get choked up as I'm standing on the sidelines during the playing of the national anthem. That has as much to do with my military background as anything, but it just goes to show you that I will never take this gig for granted.

Add in the fact that I'm working alongside my heterosexual life partner, JimmiJo, for this season opener and all is right in the universe. And just when I was really feeling a little sappy, an obnoxious 'Skins fan with a megaphone yells, "All Dolphins fans have free access ... to deez nuts!" And, just like that, I snapped back out of it.

The moment might have come and gone, but the season opener will be here in about 90 minutes. Can Kirk Cousins lead the offense up and down the field without turning the ball over more frequently than any other NFL starter? Can Brandon Scherff, playing in his NFL debut, find a way to hold his own against the fiercely-talented Ndamukong Suh? Will the revamped secondary be any better than what fans have been subjected to in recent seasons?

We're about to find out. Thanks for allowing me to be a part of your Week 1 coverage. Time to head down to the sidelines.

The way the board sways on Gruden will be interesting to me. 

I'm personally keeping my own council and not saying anything on him until after the Eagles W4. Figure 4 in with 3 at home is a fair start to judge him over now he has what he wanted. 

But it'll be an interesting study to see the pulse of the board on him regardless. (And let's face it, by the mere nature of their importance, Gruden and Cousins are going to be the ones under the most intense microscope.). 

Hail. 

Oh, yeah...this will be TSO and Martin's first official game day thread as moderators lol...

You will not see me on here during the game. But I have been practising my ban mechanics for the aftermath. Focusing on not banning off the back foot under pressure ...

Gotta love how the media twists the 'RG3 as scout team safety' story.  They present it as if RG3 is doing full tackling in a defensive positional role, rather than his just helping the team prepare in more of a walkthrough situation.  "They are gonna be on the hook for his $16 million salary!"  Are they being deliberate?  Or, just stupid?

Archived