Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rooting Against the Redskins How Dare you?

skinfan2k

I was quoted in the following article so i wanted to post this on ES.  Your thoughts?  In my opinion, this season is a throw away season.  Why?  Because the QBs we have on this roster don't have the "it".  You pretty much know from the start if a guy has pocket awareness and a feel for the game.  RG3 just refused to accept that he wasn't a pocket QB while Kirk has shown that he doesn't rebound from a mistake.  

I personally think Gruden is done after this season.  Winning 6-7 games this year would further harm the team from having success.  1 win in 2011 cost us Andrew Luck.  

You can already tell with the players he has drafted that they are nasty and hungry.  I trust GMSM to make a solid decision with the QB if he has the chance to select a QB in the draft. 

Read further at 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2015/09/11/why-some-redskins-fans-are-rooting-against-their-team/

I apologize in advance if this thread should be merged with SHF current prediction thread. 

The Colts were all in in the Suck for Luck campaign.  They would have lost as many as needed to get him.  And of course we aren't th Colts so who knows what Luck would be doing

As each day goes by I get more and more excited about the Redskins season. I'm a Redskins fan first, and a football fan second. For some reason, against better logic, I'm starting to think we can play well this season.

Never mind our QB is inconsistent. Never mind our secondary will be getting bombs dropped on them worse than Baghdad. I'm starting to think we can do this. This is awful.

I know our best bet is 6-10. We will have another top 10 pick. Just keep building I say. Give us some draft picks to we can build a real football team. That's what I say. Until kickoff on Sunday, then magically I believe again.

It's sad.

I feel legitimate dread when I start thinking about the big picture with this franchise.

That's why I like to keep my focus really narrow, watch for the development and performance of specific players so that I can find something to enjoy and escape from the overall view of what a dumpster fire this franchise is.

I really enjoy watching the game of football itself, so that helps.

You are thinking too much and life is too short. True, part of wisdom is recognizing patterns, and you seem to have several sports down to a science in a lot of your posts. Mad props.

You know what I look for these days and and thru some of the worst years of my life even when I know the season is over? Stuff like last year's MNF game in Dallas. Better yet, enjoying games like that with other people. It's supposed to be a distraction, and I do believe that if I knew what was going to happen before it happened, I wouldn't watch football at all.

Keep the faith. : )

The Colts were all in in the Suck for Luck campaign.  They would have lost as many as needed to get him.  And of course we aren't th Colts so who knows what Luck would be doing

Luck would turn Garcon into a top 10 receiver. and with DJax as a deep threat? forget it..we wouldn't even need a running game

Ah what could've been

I've been a fan of this team since I was 8 years old. 1968. I'm not going to ever hope to "Suck for [insert hot QB prospect here]" but I do agree with *some* of the sentiments in the article (and disagree with some of the rest). I approached this season that we were going to suck anyway, because one offseason with Scot most likely wasn't going to turn us into division champs. This was not going to be much more than an evaluation season for the future.

I also am not in the "RG3 is a bust and we must move on" camp. Yet. I was hoping that Jay was going to actually use this season to determine the future with Robert AND Kirk like he promised. And because he said so, that he was going to try and work with the talent that he has. Seems like he would want to welcome the challenge. I am also of the old school that you don't lose your position due to injury. To take the starter position FOR THE SEASON for a concussion that would have likely been resolved by week one or two is a sucky move, IMO. But for now, I guess for at least a game or three we'll be evaluating Kirk. Again. Thing that sucks is that I actually like Kirk, the person.

There is absolutely a time where it makes sense to hope your team loses. It almost never happens though and right now is definitely not the time.

Maybe when you're already 1-10 and there's a Luck waiting for you in the draft. Not on the cusp of a fresh new season and no standout QB in the draft

I was quoted in the following article so i wanted to post this on ES.  Your thoughts?  In my opinion, this season is a throw away season.  Why?  Because the QBs we have on this roster don't have the "it".  You pretty much know from the start if a guy has pocket awareness and a feel for the game.  RG3 just refused to accept that he wasn't a pocket QB while Kirk has shown that he doesn't rebound from a mistake.  

I personally think Gruden is done after this season.  Winning 6-7 games this year would further harm the team from having success.  1 win in 2011 cost us Andrew Luck.  

You can already tell with the players he has drafted that they are nasty and hungry.  I trust GMSM to make a solid decision with the QB if he has the chance to select a QB in the draft.

No, the QBs do not have the "It."

And there are a lot of areas also, that need improvement.

Yes, I too think that Gruden will be gone after this year.  (Its been a carousel after all, isn't it.?)  

Yes, there are some Skin fans that would prefer a better place in the draft. It's a strategy. 

I said it then, I'll say it now - this philosophy is dumb because it's not realistic because no team would ever do it. Cite all the teams that "tanked" all you want, no team has ever TRIED to lose a football game. It's fan created nonsense.

If you want to take the passion out for a whole season go ahead. Root for our division opponents when they play us.

BY THE WAY, let's not gloss over the fact that people wanted to lose in 2011 for luck OR rg3. So you werent as right as you think folks.

Oh, and I used to say: go ahead and tell the players this to their face if you meet them. See how that makes you feel. What a crummy, desperate, pathetic line of thinking.

Luck would turn Garcon into a top 10 receiver. and with DJax as a deep threat? forget it..we wouldn't even need a running game

Ah what could've been

you need an OL.  But if the Skins had ended up with the first pick that year Goodell and Mara probably would have taken it

Root against the Redskins? Never!! Hell, I can't even pick against them in a meaningless football pool, even knowing they are going to lose. Will ALWAYS root for them, especially the 2 games against them stinkin Cowboys!

One more point: if you openly root for a player to fail because your whinny ass doesn't like the HCs decision to play the best players or more specifically not your favorite player , turn in your fan card cuz we don't want you!

Indeed they are but we have never done one. It's more of a reboot or a quick fix

Scot has only begun to rebuild the Lines, the foundation is the starting point for any rebuild. Just like remodeling, you can slap lipstick on a pig but if you don't start with the foundation you can't build much from there. 

We keep saying we have done a rebuild but we never fully execute one. We give up after year 2 usually

That's on Snyder. I've said it before and I'll say it again; he is what's wrong with this team. It all starts at the top. It's not that the fans aren't patient enough for a rebuild, they are and would easily stick around through more dark years for the possibility of having a competitive team again, no matter how long it took. But little danny snyder won't stand for it, for whatever blind, made up fairytale reasoning he has

You are thinking too much and life is too short. True, part of wisdom is recognizing patterns, and you seem to have several sports down to a science in a lot of your posts. Mad props.

You know what I look for these days and and thru some of the worst years of my life even when I know the season is over? Stuff like last year's MNF game in Dallas. Better yet, enjoying games like that with other people. It's supposed to be a distraction, and I do believe that if I knew what was going to happen before it happened, I wouldn't watch football at all.

Keep the faith. : )

I'm a lot less invested in the outcome of football games now than I used to be.  I'm busier now and have more serious worries/responsibilities.  And I watch a greater variety of sports than I used to.  Truth be told, the Redskins failure to develop RGIII was also a turning point for me.  It proved definitively that you can't help some organizations.  We squandered the most talented QB prospect I've ever seen.  Not only that, he came in and delivered the greatest rookie season a QB has ever had.  When I've watched the QB prospects since 2012, it's been such a downer seeing none of them really even come that close to RGIII's level.  All we had to do was get out of our own way and the kid was eventually going to be the best player in the NFL.  But alas, bad franchises don't get franchise QBs.  And it will probably be decades before we get another prospect as talented as him.  So I've been in the realm of massively diminished expectations the past two years.

I too love watching games with people.  I like talking about the sport.  And I'll often root for the teams of the people I'm watching games with too.  Kind of as a fan tourist.

Though it's different with the Wizards.  I am 100% invested in them.  That team has become shockingly good to its fans the last two seasons, and amazing though it may sound, I don't root scared with them any more.

We have never committed to a real rebuild and I'm not at all convinced we are now. 

Agreed. The Knighton, Gallette, Goldson additions among others don't fit any type of rebuild. I think they were all great value, so there's no gripe there. But they aren't rebuilding moves, where you're doing everything you can to accrue young talent while not, *ahem*, hindering your shot at a top draft pick for a couple years. Not tanking, but not making temporary moves that serve no long-term purpose.

A true rebuild like that takes the kind of job security and organizational stability and confidence in an overall plan that we've never had in recent history. And Scot isn't changing that now, he's more retooling while trying to strengthen the foundation more slowly in the background.

That approach can work, and is probably more realistic. I'm just sick of reading people say that we're finally rebuilding. We're not. We might have gotten a master architect in Scot, and he's got a plan. But he's once again renovating, while maybe putting on an addition. He's not knocking it down and rebuilding it.

Archived