Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Reuters: Shootings at multiple places near Tennessee college, officer hit

visionary

considering one of the dead is the shooter by suicide  mass shooting might not fit.

not very many shots fired, might be personal.

have they said how many of the others were shot?

considering one of the dead is the shooter by suicide  mass shooting might not fit.

not very many shots fired, might be personal.

have they said how many of the others were shot?

8 people were injured in addition to the 3 who died.

8 people were injured in addition to the 3 who died.

injured means something different than shot in many cases

reports of only six shots does not seem like a mass shooting

but it is early

http://news.yahoo.com/several-injured-louisiana-movie-theater-shooting-021340340.html

A gunman opened fire in a movie theater in the US state of Louisiana on Thursday, shooting dead two people and wounding seven others before killing himself, police said.

The shooter was described as a white male in his 50s and he appeared to have died from a self-inflicted wound, local police said in a press conference.

Good find.  Although there still aren't that many details.

KATC reported that police were investigating a bomb threat at Greenbriar Condos on Doucet Road, across the street from the theater. The threat has caused media to be pushed back from the area.

Haz-Mat crews are reportedly on the scene of the shooting on Grand Theatre on Johnston Street. Media have been evacuated from the premises.

Unconfirmed reports indicated that Aries Marine CEO Bo Ramsay and his wife Gerri are among the wounded. Bo Ramsay was reportedly shot in the leg, and his wife grazed by a bullet. Neither injury is reportedly considered life-threatening.

Shot is shot. Doesn't matter if you run away or die, you're still shot

true dat, but folk get injured trying to get away from shots fired or have heart/panic attacks ect

If a shooter is shooting in a theater there will be injuries, doesn't mean every person took a bullet.

you said that well

Hate to say this, but it may be time to just go ahead and make a "Mass Shooting Thread"...

I want a dislike button just because there is nothing to like about the need for this.  But I do agree it make be needed at this point.  I opened up this thread thinking it was about the theater last night.  I didn't bother to really read the title.  I thought to myself "oops, I'm in the wrong mass shooting thread".  Than I thought about how sad that was.

I live in Florida where we have CCW laws.  I own a pistol but didn't really ever expect to take it many places.  Things like this make me reconsider that.  But before everyone starts yelling at me, let me say I have a different idea what should be done if I am carrying and an active shooter situation arises.  My plan is to get down and hide until the person is coming right at me.  I don't believe I am skilled enough to pick off an active shooter in a dark theater or something.  I will carry for my defense and that of my wife.  Not for everyone else's.

Before I bought my gun, I was reading reviews and can't believe how many people were arguing about safetys on carry pistols.  They were actually COMPLAINING about guns having them.  Their argument was that turning off the safety in a crisis would take to long.  Also they would complain about the capacity of a gun like they need at least 15 rounds.  My thought is if I don't stop a threat with the first 8 shots, I should probably stop trying.  I also don't keep a round in the chamber.  I want those extra few seconds of racking the slide and turning off the safety to think about if I really want to fire my gun.  It's like so many people are just running around waiting for the OK Corral type gun battles to break out.

I want a dislike button just because there is nothing to like about the need for this.  But I do agree it make be needed at this point.  I opened up this thread thinking it was about the theater last night.  I didn't bother to really read the title.  I thought to myself "oops, I'm in the wrong mass shooting thread".  Than I thought about how sad that was.

I live in Florida where we have CCW laws.  I own a pistol but didn't really ever expect to take it many places.  Things like this make me reconsider that.  But before everyone starts yelling at me, let me say I have a different idea what should be done if I am carrying and an active shooter situation arises.  My plan is to get down and hide until the person is coming right at me.  I don't believe I am skilled enough to pick off an active shooter in a dark theater or something.  I will carry for my defense and that of my wife.  Not for everyone else's.

Before I bought my gun, I was reading reviews and can't believe how many people were arguing about safetys on carry pistols.  They were actually COMPLAINING about guns having them.  Their argument was that turning off the safety in a crisis would take to long.  Also they would complain about the capacity of a gun like they need at least 15 rounds.  My thought is if I don't stop a threat with the first 8 shots, I should probably stop trying.  I also don't keep a round in the chamber.  I want those extra few seconds of racking the slide and turning off the safety to think about if I really want to fire my gun.  It's like so many people are just running around waiting for the OK Corral type gun battles to break out.

I'm down with you on the safety issue. A safety and de-****er were two requirements for my choice of gun.

Where we disagree is in the response to an active shooter. If I'm armed and I can stop a shooter before he kills ANYONE else, I will act. I couldn't live with myself if I hid when I could help instead. 

My recommendation is that if you don't feel comfortable with your ability to use your weapon, get some training or leave it at home.

And BTW, I actually commend you for being cautious about CC. Too many people buy a gun and get an easy to obtain CC license who present as much or more of a danger to themselves and others as the threat they are trying to protect themselves from.

About the shooter....

I hate to say this, but as soon as I heard of the shooting, (like most of us I think) I started speculating (to myself) about a possible motive. With what little was known (59 years old and the movie he chose) I suspected a right wing extremist out to kill liberals....

John Russell Houser in 2013 Facebook post: 'Death comes soon' to U.S. | NOLA.com

Houser's post then links to an online forum posting from 2011, quoting the Bible and hosting commentary on "A Woman's Place In The Church And The Weak Church Elder." The forum, Nairaland, features postings on various topics mostly geared toward Nigerians. 

The page has fairly stringent security settings, but other public posts include links to a blog posting about conservative commentator Evan Sayet and "modern liberals" who "brainwash people into hating America."  

The page is credited with two likes: One for an Irish-American festival and another called "I hate liberals." 

john-russell-houser-facebook-a50341773a9

More and more of our rational, educated, and reasonable public are arming themselves everyday. What could go wrong

Can we get a thread where we add these shootings that are happening every few weeks now? 

The "Official" Latest Shooting Thread 

something catchier though. 

agree 100%

Depends on the situation...

I haven't yet chosen to CC but my feeling is this:

At home I do not keep a round in the chamber. If I have enough time to get my gun in response to a threat, I have time to jack a round into the chamber. Safety stays on until and unless I need to shoot.

However, if I'm going to CC, It's because I recognize that threats can come in the blink of an eye. Chances are if you don't have a round in the chamber, you won't have time to do it in a dangerous, stressful situation. There is even a rule for it. My thought is: Safety On - Jack a round into the chamber in a safe manner, and carefully put said gun into a secure holster before leaving home. From that point on the gun should stay safely in it's holster with the safety on until I need it or I get home where I can safely unload the round and store the weapon.

My 2¢

Oh and I'll add... my background in martial arts taught me that practice is important. When I go to a range and shoot, I spend some time practicing real world self defense. Most ranges don't let you practice drawing your weapon and snap shooting but you can practice bringing the gun up from a low safe position, quickly acquiring your target and shooting (always in control). To be even more realistic, you can practice starting from a low ready position with the safety on and flicking it off with your thumb as you raise the weapon to acquire your target. Start slow and let the speed come naturally. Don't try to go too fast, and never play around. Control first. If you cant het your target, it doesn't matter how fast you pull your weapon.

I'm thinking we souls save a lot of time if we allowed posters to create an auto response, as part of their user profile.

Every time there's another incident, the board software will automatically append everybody's pre-stored sound bites.

I mean, it's not like anybody actually cares about the individual incident.

It's clear to me now that what the Founding Fathers had in mind when they wrote the words "Well-regulated Militia" is not civil defense or protecting a homestead or even hunting. Their intention was that we all eventually become a paranoid, round-the-clock, poorly trained, unregulated civilian gun mob ready to get into a shootout anytime we suspect our lives may be in danger.

The clarity of this revelation has brought a warming serenity to my thoughts.

It's clear to me now that what the Founding Fathers had in mind when they wrote the words "Well-regulated Militia" is not civil defense or protecting a homestead or even hunting. Their intention was that we all eventually become a paranoid, round-the-clock, poorly trained, unregulated civilian gun mob ready to get into a shootout anytime we suspect our lives may be in danger.

The clarity of this revelation has brought a warming serenity to my thoughts.

Gun control means using both hands ya know. Hyuck-hyuck!

It's the American Lottery.

Is it you this time? Your family member, friend?

And unfortunately, that is not a joke.

Who's next?

Tired of the media using the term "senseless tragedy".

it's neither.

it's sensible, when you consider the flood of weapons and the fear tactics used to sell them. Mass shootings and / or indiscriminate gun murders are inevitable, and is a fairly common occurrence.

And it's not a tragedy, because clearly we don't care. 

We do nothing to ever even begin to address how to confront this common occurence of mass murder.

We honestly should hold a "National Laugh In the Faces Of the Victim's Family Day" after each of these to demonstrate just how much we give a **** that it has happened AGAIN.

We could make a flag with a middle finger on it and fly it at half staff.

We could have average Americans stand up and say " My name is __________ and I just don't give a **** that your _____ got killed in the movie theater."

And again, this is not a joke.

i just don't see the difference in how we already approach it, and we may as well have the opportunity to publicly show these people (and all the future victims) just how little we give a **** about them.

Future victim... that's any of us.

~Bang

Hate to say this, but it may be time to just go ahead and make a "Mass Shooting Thread"...

I would disagree because you'd end up with separate issues (terrorism and mass murder) mixed up and the discussion on those two goes in very different directions.

Archived