Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Reuters: Shootings at multiple places near Tennessee college, officer hit

visionary

This country is beyond numb over events like these. They happen. We lose our minds for a few days/weeks. Our elected officials offer their prayers. Our talking heads blame everything connected and not connected to the event......and nothing changes.

Cut/Paste this for however many weeks/months until it happens again. They come in all shapes and sizes. White/Black/Middle Eastern/Whatever. 

Just find it odd to bring politics into something no one even knew the facts about... just purely on speculation until now. And I would not scold anyone to be honest... but I can see how it looks that way on an online forum as opposed to in person.

I think you're right in a sense and wrong in a sense.

I don't think party blaming is particularly useful here, but I do believe that discussions of what we can do on the micro, meso, and macro levels does need to be a part of this discussion. Usually however, the moment you begin to address solutions someone cries politics whether you talk about gun control, mental health, education, or the approach different countries take to violence.

It does get frustrating because there is a tremendous will to ignore the problem which in effect seems to be increasing the number of incidents. We do nothing about these events except declare them terrible and express sympathy.

We ought to try something. Doing nothing works as well as putting all our valuables on the front lawn, shining a spotlight on them and then being radio time to announce every hour that you'll be away on vacation for two weeks. So far, that's been our strategy... that and urging people to buy more guns and loosen the laws even more.

Just find it odd to bring politics into something no one even knew the facts about... just purely on speculation until now. And I would not scold anyone to be honest... but I can see how it looks that way on an online forum as opposed to in person.

I will note in his defense that the first choice in his poll was: "Islamic Terrorist"

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/2015/07/16/read-chattanooga-shooter-s-blog.html?via=desktop&source=twitter

Blog Shows Chattanooga Shooter Had Religious Motive

The killer of four U.S. Marines in Chattanooga maintained a short-lived blog that hinted at his religious inner life.  Mohammad Youssef Abdulazeez's blog had only two posts, both published July 13 and written in a popular style of Islamic religious reasoning.

The first post was entitled "A Prison Called Dunya," referring to the temporal world. In it, Abdulazeez uses the hypothetical example of a prisoner who is told he would be given a test that would either take him out of his earthly prison—or send him into a more restrictive environment.

"I would imagine that any sane person would devote their time to mastering the information on the study guide and stay patient with their studies, only giving time for the other things around to keep themselves focused on passing the exam," Abdulazeez wrote. "They would do this because they know and have been told that they will be rewarded with pleasures that they have never seen."

This life is that test, he wrote, "designed to separate the inhabitants of Paradise from the inhabitants of Hellfire."

The FBI has identified the gunman as as Mohammad Youssuf Abdulazeez, a 24-year-old native of Hixon, Tennessee. He is the son of Youssuf Abdulazeez, a 57-year-old originally from the Middle East. The Abdulazeez family home was raided by authorities on Thursday evening. Mohammad studied engineering at the University of Tennessee at Chatanooga. Family photos suggest he graduated in December 2012.

https://twitter.com/Joyce_Karam

Chattanooga shooter was "humble, friendly, good student" says wrestler coach. "I didn't see anything different". CNN
7:11 PM

<edit successful troll>

Seems like some people of all political stripes have their own default people to blame when tragedies like this happen, which is unfortunate. Head over to a right wing forum or site and you'll see people endlessly blaming Obama.

Those brave Chattanooga police officers who had hand guns first on the scene, who walked TOWARDS the active shooter to close the distance... Then took him out with their pistols...

I'm positive that the "all cops are evil assholes thread" will be instantly updated with said info

:rolleyes:

/vomit

Years ago, I used to show NCIS to Mom.  I keep remembering one of my favorite lines from the show. 

The episode has our team investigating a sniper shooting at a Marine recruiting center.  (Turns out that the shooter was some guy who wanted to be a Marine sniper, but he failed the psych eval.) 

But, for the investigation, Gibbs and Kate have to go undercover as Marine recruiters, at the station where the marine got shot.  (While the lab geeks try out this whiz-bang system that will pinpoint the location of any gunshot.)  Gibbs is dressed as a Marine Noncom, Kate as a Lieutenant. 

They arrive at the station, walk in and begin setting up shop as targets.  And Gibbs chews out Kate for wearing her cover indoors.  Anybody sees her, they'll know she's a fake. 

Kate:  "Gibbs, a man was shot to death here, two days ago.  What kind of person is going to walk in here to sign up?"

Gibbs looks kinda puzzled.  "A marine." 

No word. My prediction is he was a lone wolf nut with "mental issues" 

Kinda what it sounds like to me. Apparently the FBI said he wasn't on any watch lists. He failed a background check for a job at a nuclear power plant but apparently that was a drug test failure, not a national security thing.

It was only a month ago that everybody was (justifiably) trashing FOX saying "what was the motivation for this tragedy" about the obviously racially motivated Charleston thing, only to see MSNBC today saying "and we still don't know the motivation for this horrible shooting" in Tennessee. Yes we do idiots. He was a Muslim who recently visited the Middle East for 7 months and then shot up a military installation, which ISIS has just been encouraging, at the end of Ramadan. Enough politically correct BS. We know why he did it. What's good for the goose...

It was only a month ago that everybody was (justifiably) trashing FOX saying "what was the motivation for this tragedy" about the obviously racially motivated Charleston thing, only to see MSNBC today saying "and we still don't know the motivation for this horrible shooting" in Tennessee. Yes we do idiots. He was a Muslim who recently visited the Middle East for 7 months and then shot up a military installation, which ISIS has just been encouraging, at the end of Ramadan. Enough politically correct BS. We know why he did it. What's good for the goose...

I think everyone knows the motivation in a general sense. The question is really whether anyone else is involved in any even tangential way.

Well, then again the Charleston shooter had pretty obvious motivations seeing as how he was actually telling people why he was doing it while he was doing it and he had made his feelings about race known quite a bit prior to the shooting, not to mention his pictures with confederate flags and a jacket with flags from racist regimes on it. So not much mystery there.

The evidence here is all circumstantial though. He apparently wasn't on any watch lists, he had no history of extremism, and he didn't write or give any "manifestos" that would explain why he did it. All we have is that he visited the middle east and then came back. That's NOT to say that it wasn't islamic extremism that motivated him (it very well could be) but the two shootings differ greatly in the evidence for motive.

Years ago, I used to show NCIS to Mom. I keep remembering one of my favorite lines from the show.

The episode has our team investigating a sniper shooting at a Marine recruiting center. (Turns out that the shooter was some guy who wanted to be a Marine sniper, but he failed the psych eval.)

But, for the investigation, Gibbs and Kate have to go undercover as Marine recruiters, at the station where the marine got shot. (While the lab geeks try out this whiz-bang system that will pinpoint the location of any gunshot.) Gibbs is dressed as a Marine Noncom, Kate as a Lieutenant.

They arrive at the station, walk in and begin setting up shop as targets. And Gibbs chews out Kate for wearing her cover indoors. Anybody sees her, they'll know she's a fake.

Kate: "Gibbs, a man was shot to death here, two days ago. What kind of person is going to walk in here to sign up?"

Gibbs looks kinda puzzled. "A marine."

I gotta be honest, I would expect a shiney to forget his/her cover is on indoors.

Jesus Christ....

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/two-killed-least-six-injured-louisiana-theater-shooting-n397586

Two Killed, Nine Injured in Louisiana Theater Shooting

At least two people, including the gunman, were killed and nine others were injured in a shooting Thursday night at a movie theater in Lafayette, Louisiana, authorities told NBC News.

Police in Lafayette, about 50 miles southwest of Baton Rouge, said the shooting occurred at the Grand Theatre on Johnston Street about 7:30 p.m. (8:30 p.m. ET). Witnesses described hearing about six shots in a screening of the movie "Trainwreck."

https://twitter.com/AP

BREAKING: Police: Louisiana movie theater shooter was 58-year-old 'lone white male'; Shooter ID not being released
10:58 PM

https://twitter.com/AP

BREAKING: Police chief: Death toll increases to 3 in Louisiana movie theater shooting

11:05 PM

Archived