Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

US Soccer thread.

Kilmer17

You are saying that Klinsmann will leave after 2018 if he is not dispatched before.  Klinsmann is a legend and has probably had numerous coaching offers, but he is also a family man and will not leave the US for any reason until his kids are out of college.  That puts him on track for 2 more WCs if the US is not dumb enough to release him.

I don't think he has any coaching offers better than the USMNT.  After how his stint at Bayern Munich went.

I am not sure the US should keep him on as manager of the team after 2018 (depending on how the tournament goes, HAVE to win a knockout match... not debatable... have to)... but we'd be absolute fools to let him leave the organization.

I think it was very telling that, prior to the Costa Rica match, when he had his meeting with Gulati in Chicago... Gulati said he's done some very good things as basically the "over-seer" of the program, but he has to start getting his selection and tactics right.  US Soccer is worlds ahead of what it was with scouting and recruitment (see Pulisic, Green, Jones, Brooks, and basically anyone born abroad who is in the program now, who before would've up and left - a la Najar and De Rossi), but he's got to get his tactics right.

I'd like to see him stay on as the general manager role, but I'd like to see some new blood get a shot if he can't get his **** together by the '18 World Cup.

I don't think he has any coaching offers better than the USMNT.  After how his stint at Bayern Munich went.

I am not sure the US should keep him on as manager of the team after 2018 (depending on how the tournament goes, HAVE to win a knockout match... not debatable... have to)... but we'd be absolute fools to let him leave the organization.

I think it was very telling that, prior to the Costa Rica match, when he had his meeting with Gulati in Chicago... Gulati said he's done some very good things as basically the "over-seer" of the program, but he has to start getting his selection and tactics right.  US Soccer is worlds ahead of what it was with scouting and recruitment (see Pulisic, Green, Jones, Brooks, and basically anyone born abroad who is in the program now, who before would've up and left - a la Najar and De Rossi), but he's got to get his tactics right.

I'd like to see him stay on as the general manager role, but I'd like to see some new blood get a shot if he can't get his **** together by the '18 World Cup.

Definitely agree. If he isnt the manager I want him to stay in charge of developing the youth program, scouting, building the developmental structure of US soccer.

• Like 1

Up my neck o the woods, shoulda given us a shout.

I didn't have 5 minutes to myself that whole weekend brother :lol:

That place is a money pit and my kids wore me and my bank account out :lol:

Why did Chile keep doing that?!? Mexico was already dead!!

Such speed, I can't remember if it was #5 or #6, but Mexico drew it back into their defense, and it was like a hockey team forecheck. For some reason Mexico tried to finesse, turned it over out of position and that was it.

I had never seen a quick and agressive forecheck like that.

My guess?

The crowd.  The Mexican crowds are awful.  Batteries... lasers in the eyes... you name it.

I'm glad they got put down like that but it was bittersweet cause I have a soft spot for Memo Ochoa.  He was the Eddie Royal of the Liverpool transfer window a couple of years back.

Remember the story of Cane and his pesky lil' bro' ..... 

Just saying!  :angry:.

Hail. 

We're going to win a Cup in the 2030s.

Asbury's kid between the sticks and your nephew as the number 8. 

American (born) players are still in the infant stages of getting respect in real (European) leagues.  As long as they are forced to use a majority of minor leaguers for the US team, winning a knockout game is less than a toss-up.  Is this Klinsmann's fault?  Not really. He has certainly recruited some foreign born Americans and natural borns who grew up elsewhere that we hope are quality. 2 more to your list are Johannsson and Zelalem,

Is he a great coach, IMO?  No, but he is good and getting better and he might be the right coach for America. 

• Like 1

I didn't have 5 minutes to myself that whole weekend brother :lol:

That place is a money pit and my kids wore me and my bank account out :lol:

I get that!

Just wait till they're teenagers...more time to yourselves, only worry is them wrecking the car. :)

Edited by Long n Left
  • Like 1

American (born) players are still in the infant stages of getting respect in real (European) leagues.  As long as they are forced to use a majority of minor leaguers for the US team, winning a knockout game is less than a toss-up.  Is this Klinsmann's fault?  Not really. He has certainly recruited some foreign born Americans and natural borns who grew up elsewhere that we hope are quality. 2 more to your list are Johannsson and Zelalem,

Is he a great coach, IMO?  No, but he is good and getting better and he might be the right coach for America. 

It's a results driven business.  Bruce Arena did it with the 2002 team, albeit against Mexico.  And should've had a chance against Germany.... hand ball was obvious...

But I think we can find someone who is tactically better than Klinsmann (at least right now) and someone who would put a little more trust and thought into his team selections than Klinsmann (again, at least right now) pretty easily.  As far as running the program... I'm not sure there is an American who can do what Klinsmann is doing at the moment.

It's a results driven business.  Bruce Arena did it with the 2002 team, albeit against Mexico.  And should've had a chance against Germany.... hand ball was obvious...

Coaching the US team has been a loser's game.  Arena parlayed being the best college coach into being the US Coach (would never happen today) and parlayed that into an MLS gig.  Bradley was doomed, but he is unquestionably a great soccer coach IMO and may get another chance someday.  Bora, now that guy was a coach, one of the best all time...until he wore out his welcome and he always wore out his welcome.  

Coaching the US team has been a loser's game.  Arena parlayed being the best college coach into being the US Coach (would never happen today) and parlayed that into an MLS gig.  Bradley was doomed, but he is unquestionably a great soccer coach IMO and may get another chance someday.  Bora, now that guy was a coach, one of the best all time...until he wore out his welcome and he always wore out his welcome.  

So we should just stop the program all together, keep the status quo, or try to get better?

Your timeline is a little off.  He went to DC United and won a couple of championships before heading up the US team.

I'm starting to think that a better option than just sitting everyone behind the ball and trying to hit the counter, would be to put as much speed as possible into the attack. Give Argentina at least something to think about, even if only for a moment. Also, get some much needed BIG match experience for the youngsters.

That said, my XI would be a 4-1-4-1, back 4 same as groups with Bradley sitting in front. Dempsey up top with Zusi and Zardes wide, and Nagbe and Pulisic in the middle.

I'd put Nagbe and Zardes on the same side, and give them freedom to run channels, maybe open some space for Dempsey.

My strategy is to try for an early strike, then you can think about tightening the reins. Best case scenario, up 1-0 at half, can sub in Beckerman for one of the kids.

I'm just hoping they don't get thumped 4 or 5 to nil.

• Like 1

I'm glad they got put down like that but it was bittersweet cause I have a soft spot for Memo Ochoa.  He was the Eddie Royal of the Liverpool transfer window a couple of years back.

Ha.  I like Ochoa a lot, too, despite the team he's on. 

• Like 1

Your timeline is a little off.  He went to DC United and won a couple of championships before heading up the US team.

True, Arena had MLS experience before.  And he is certainly a great coach. But nonetheless his rise through the ranks would absolutely never happen today.  I doubt you will ever see another US Coach without international experience as a player or coach.  I would be interested to see if Landon Donovan or Alexi Lalas have any coaching desires.  If either expressed interest they would get serious consideration after Klinsmann.

True, Arena had MLS experience before.  And he is certainly a great coach. But nonetheless his rise through the ranks would absolutely never happen today.  I doubt you will ever see another US Coach without international experience as a player or coach.  I would be interested to see if Landon Donovan or Alexi Lalas have any coaching desires.  If either expressed interest they would get serious consideration after Klinsmann.

I tooted the Lalas horn a few years ago with Bradley failing over and over.  He was always very critical, almost like he was gunning for the job.  But he never offered a solution.

Then I realized he is just a lot of talk and a badge.

Donovan could still play, imo... he would need to show that he can manage before I give him an MNT job.  Heck, Maradona might be the best player ever and he had two "sort of" manager jobs before he was handed Argentina (a VERY talented team) over a decade later and basically flopped.

Bradley was doomed, but he is unquestionably a great soccer coach IMO and may get another chance someday.

No. Coach Bradley was awful. How many times did we see Bornstein, Casey, Klijstan, and others when we were clearly better without them. He is an awful coach with no real game plan. After the USA, he failed with the Egypt national team, and then proceeded to fail in second divisions in Europe.

Unfortunately Klinsmann has made similar mistakes with Wondo, which we all hope doesn't continue tonight. Bringing in Wondo over Donovan was his worst move by far. I'm still willing to give him a chance though.

No. Coach Bradley was awful. How many times did we see Bornstein, Casey, Klijstan, and others when we were clearly better without them. He is an awful coach with no real game plan. After the USA, he failed with the Egypt national team, and then proceeded to fail in second divisions in Europe.

Unfortunately Klinsmann has made similar mistakes with Wondo, which we all hope doesn't continue tonight. Bringing in Wondo over Donovan was his worst move by far. I'm still willing to give him a chance though.

Bringing in Wondo over literally anyone is the worst decision ever. Bring in someone from the U-17 team before you bring him in. Hes useless unless hes playing minnows.

As much as I'd like to see the two youngsters pulisic and nagbe, it would be a nightmare to start them both against Argentina in a semi-final match in the middle.  Wouldn't be surprised with a 4-4-2 with both beckerman and Bradley sitting deep for cover.  Zardes and Dempsey up top and Zusi and xxxx out wide.  Take your pick, but I could see either Pulisic or nagbe there.  Dempsey can roam a bit more and Zardes would be your guy running the channels. 

It will be interesting to see what Klinsman does.  As much as I'd love to play attacking football, it's the smart move to sit back and look for counter opportunities.  This will be a true test, but I believe we can steal one if things end up going our way.  LET'S GO BOYS

• Like 1

Bradley was awful?  Seriously? Only international final (Confed Cup) in US history.  Won Group stage at WC.  He did this with far less talented teams than we have today.   7 losses in 36 games with Egypt.  Moderate success in lower tier leagues.  Methinks there is some Bradley hate going on.