Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

US Soccer thread.

Kilmer17

Watch wando score like 3 goals tonight and break this thread wide open.

I'd take it... but I don't see it.

I have a fork stored away for it just in case.

He obviously has the talent to do it, but he doesn't show up against big teams in big moments.

• Like 1

As much as I'd like to see the two youngsters pulisic and nagbe, it would be a nightmare to start them both against Argentina in a semi-final match in the middle.  Wouldn't be surprised with a 4-4-2 with both beckerman and Bradley sitting deep for cover.  Zardes and Dempsey up top and Zusi and xxxx out wide.  Take your pick, but I could see either Pulisic or nagbe there.  Dempsey can roam a bit more and Zardes would be your guy running the channels. 

It will be interesting to see what Klinsman does.  As much as I'd love to play attacking football, it's the smart move to sit back and look for counter opportunities.  This will be a true test, but I believe we can steal one if things end up going our way.  LET'S GO BOYS

I think you play a 4-3-2 with one guy in Messi's hip pocket all day.  Yedlin would be a perfect shadow. Beckerman also, but Messi will a handful. That may give the offense to ability to be more aggressive.  i feel that regardless of the formation, Klinsmann is going to be very aggressive and attacking. He is playing with house money here.  This game will be an incredible learning experience.

I think you play a 4-3-2 with one guy in Messi's hip pocket all day.  Yedlin would be a perfect shadow. Beckerman also, but Messi will a handful. That may give the offense to ability to be more aggressive.  i feel that regardless of the formation, Klinsmann is going to be very aggressive and attacking. He is playing with house money here.  This game will be an incredible learning experience.

Messi would put Yedlin on skates pretty easily. 

You keep a structured shape or you don't win.  Effectively playing with 9 outfield players is not going to beat the number 1 team in the world.  Especially when you're putting a right back whose had trouble with fouls on the worlds best player.

I do like a 4-3-1-2, though... the 1 being Pulisic.

• Like 1

Nobody can "stay" with Messi, why they need to keep a good shape and make a total team effort. Worry about Messi too much, he'll be happy to drop dimes all night in the openings.

Exactly.  The Spanish teams (not named RM or Atletico) don't man-mark him because he would simply take the player out of the play and make runs to open space only when needed.  He's not CR7 who will pout, he'll simply bide his time and strike when he sees an opening.  Not his first time playing vs a side that will be very defensive - he knows how to handle it.

• Like 1

This is one of those rare "**** it, why not" moments the US gets.

I just don't want to park the bus and get shredded.  Keep it a respectable and competitive game.

I'd rather not be on the wrong side of one of those 7-0s... CONCACAF started off the tournament playing decent against the CONCOBOL sides.  As the last ones left, I'd like to see what we can do.  I don't want to "survive" an ass whooping. 

Throw a punch Klinsmann!

• Like 2

Bradley was awful?  Seriously? Only international final (Confed Cup) in US history.  Won Group stage at WC.  He did this with far less talented teams than we have today.   7 losses in 36 games with Egypt.  Moderate success in lower tier leagues.  Methinks there is some Bradley hate going on.

The team won in spite of him and due to Howard's excellence.

• Like 1

This is one of those rare "**** it, why not" moments the US gets.

I just don't want to park the bus and get shredded.  Keep it a respectable and competitive game.

I'd rather not be on the wrong side of one of those 7-0s... CONCACAF started off the tournament playing decent against the CONCOBOL sides.  As the last ones left, I'd like to see what we can do.  I don't want to "survive" an ass whooping. 

Throw a punch Klinsmann!

Is rather go balls out and lose 4-0 than bunker and lose 1-0.

I love the spirit fella's but being realistic, if you try to play football with Argentina all things being equal you will get hammered. 

Cut your cloth accordingly and take what you can. 

FWIW, I can't see anything other than comfortable Argentine progression. But I'll be dragging my tired ass out of bed at 2 AM and cheering for the US regardless. 

Good luck. You'll need all of that and then some to hang with these guys. 

Hail. 

• Like 2

All of these experts saying the US should pressure Argentina because Venezuela did, apparently missed the Chile game. They tried the same and also caught a beating and Chile pressures much better than the US or Venezuela ever could. Ask Mexico bout that. Point is that if you get too aggressive against Argentina, their passing will crush you.

People always want the underdog to go for broke, but it's not always the best idea. Not saying they have to bunker, but they definitely have to pick their spots.

• Like 2

JK: blamed for team selections

Bradley: no credit for selecting best players

I wouldn't say Bradley selected the "best players," but I'd agree he picked the "safest players" which is what Klinsmann is falling into.  I just can't be convinced Michael Bradley is better than Perry Kitchen at this stage. 

Bradley also never had an eye on the future.  He was a very "here and now" kind of guy.  That's part of the problem we have now.  We're either REALLY old (like Bradley) or we're really young (like Brooks).  How long to Bradley trot the ghost of Onyewu out there?  3 years?  Ridiculous.

He just trotted the same **** out there tournament after tournament.

We also had zero development in the states under Bradley.  That part of the program has grown at a ridiculous rate just in the last 3-4 years under Klinsmann.

Bradley did do decent work with Egypt.  And I think that's about where he's best suited.  He's the proverbial 2 yard running back.  If you need a yard he'll get you 2... if you need 3 yards he'll get you 2.

All of these experts saying the US should pressure Argentina because Venezuela did, apparently missed the Chile game. They tried the same and also caught a beating and Chile pressures much better than the US or Venezuela ever could. Ask Mexico bout that. Point is that if you get too aggressive against Argentina, their passing will crush you.

People always want the underdog to go for broke, but it's not always the best idea. Not saying they have to bunker, but they definitely have to pick their spots.

If you're talking about in this thread, I think most of us are for playing on the counter.  We would just like to see Nagbe and Pulisic get a whirl.

• Like 1

If you're talking about in this thread, I think most of us are for playing on the counter. We would just like to see Nagbe and Pulisic get a whirl.

I was talking about the experts on the pre game show on FS1. They were obsessed with the idea that Venezuela "had chances" but seemed to forget that they also gave up too many. You're betting that your finishers are better then Argentina's. That's a bad bet.

Sorry, should have been clear.

I love the spirit fella's but being realistic, if you try to play football with Argentina all things being equal you will get hammered. 

Cut your cloth accordingly and take what you can. 

FWIW, I can't see anything other than comfortable Argentine progression. But I'll be dragging my tired ass out of bed at 2 AM and cheering for the US regardless. 

Good luck. You'll need all of that and then some to hang with these guys. 

Hail. 

Not trying to put words in anyone's mouth, but I think that these guys mean that the US shouldn't just play 10 behind the ball all night and hope for PKs.

Put some attacking minded players to take advantage of the counter - funny because that's more like how Klopp would play against some of the big European sides.  I know the US doesn't have the horses to go all out, but at least make it a match by pushing the ball when they get a chance.

Hope the US gives you a good reason to have stayed up (like back in 2002 when I was in Hawaii,  up at 4 AM watching the US play Germany).

Great, starting Wondo.

Is there any other reason than he has some pics with Klinsi with Osama Bin Laden and Carlos Escobar.

Nice to see a player with crap skill and NO pace to let Argentina relax on defense.  Horrible decision to even have him on the side, much less in the match.

Dumb, dumb, and dumber in that move.

• Like 1

I wouldn't say Bradley selected the "best players," but I'd agree he picked the "safest players" which is what Klinsmann is falling into. I just can't be convinced Michael Bradley is better than Perry Kitchen at this stage.

Bradley also never had an eye on the future. He was a very "here and now" kind of guy. That's part of the problem we have now. We're either REALLY old (like Bradley) or we're really young (like Brooks). How long to Bradley trot the ghost of Onyewu out there? 3 years? Ridiculous.

He just trotted the same **** out there tournament after tournament.

We also had zero development in the states under Bradley. That part of the program has grown at a ridiculous rate just in the last 3-4 years under Klinsmann.

Bradley did do decent work with Egypt. And I think that's about where he's best suited. He's the proverbial 2 yard running back. If you need a yard he'll get you 2... if you need 3 yards he'll get you 2.

If you're talking about in this thread, I think most of us are for playing on the counter. We would just like to see Nagbe and Pulisic get a whirl.

I was reacting to some posters who say JK does not pick the best players. Which may be true. But then point out that Tim Howard made the saves against Belgium-that's not credited to Bradley. That was Timmy. So even if JK picked the best, he wouldn't be credited with it anyway.

Onyewu was great until that injury. Was never the same afterwards. But imo he was still better than bocanegra, who was beyond overrated. I understood giving him the time to see if he'd come back to form though.

What I hated and still do is that Michael Bradley stepped in to the starters role and has never sat since. Even if he were to be spelled if just for a minute at some point during a game, it would be a huge improvement. We still have no idea how the national team would look without Bradley in a prominent role in the midfield. Every single other position has changed, even Howard has been changed out, except for Michael. What if the team had performed better with Edu, Fielhaber, Adu ( past examples), zuzi, or Bedoya and others in his position. Give away after giveaway, and poor free kick after free kick, and the possibility of another guy replacing him in a spell of poor play seems unfathomable.

• Like 1