Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

US Soccer thread.

Kilmer17

I think y'all should start Jozy.

The Argentinians will then be unable to play due to being in hysterical laughter. Ergo you have a better chance against eleven on the floor laughing Argentines.

It's such a cunning plan it just might work!

Hail.

There was such a relief when he wasn't selected for the 23.  And even if he wasn't injured I am not sure Klinsmann would've given him the nod.

Altidore has had problems in the past with his club teams, sure. But his performance with the national team has been pretty good. He's still easily atleast our second best natural forward.

Wondo will probably get the call... And he's possibly the worst choice to replace anyone.

Zardes gets so much burn because he out works most guys regardless of his stone feet. The goal was a gimme, but u gotta be in the right spot at the right time to get that gimme.

Zardes is far better than Jozy.

Zardes gets played on the wing because of his pace.  He rarely gets played as a striker and when he does he usually scores.

• Like 1

That Venezuelan penalty kick was really something special.

Can't watch.  I'm at the Great Wolf Lodge with the fam.  No FS1!!!!!!!!!!!!!  AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

****, 3-0????????

Yeah, good showing MNT.  I still love you :lol:

Messi destroying the USMNT in front of millions of US soccer fans is what we need to push soccer in America to the next level.

(****)

Welcome to Copa America, where the goal most years, for most teams, is simply to avoid Brazil and Argentina for as long as possible. Last year was a dream for us Chilean fans.

Now i need Sanchez and Vidal to take out Mexico....

Why did Chile keep doing that?!? Mexico was already dead!!

Such speed, I can't remember if it was #5 or #6, but Mexico drew it back into their defense, and it was like a hockey team forecheck. For some reason Mexico tried to finesse, turned it over out of position and that was it.

I had never seen a quick and agressive forecheck like that.

The story of Jurgen Klinsmann during his US tenure is a mixed bag. You can't conclusively say that he's got to go or that he's got to stay. There needs to be more time.

They've got a foundation for something good to go on. But they've also had baffling inconsistency and 2015 was a pretty bad year for the program. They've suffered setbacks following their strong World Cup performance.

Re-making the US into a soccer power on the likes of Portugal, Brazil, Spain, et cetera isn't easy. Things are inherently going to be different for the US than for other countries. So Jurgen's got a very difficult job to do making this team elite.

Let's see what happens after 2018. Then we can see whether he remains the right man or not. Let the guy coach out his contract because right now, I'm not sure who we could get that could do a better job. If you were going to fire him, you should have fired him last year. The seat's cooled off since then.

He's gone after 2018, period.

And the US won't be elite until MLS starts imitating global soccer best practices instead of the NFL's. <_<

I reckon I have around another 50 years or so on this earth. Touch wood.

I don't expect the US to EVER be anything approaching elite in that time. The MLS is light years better than when it was first formed back the mid '90's. But it's still light years behind even second and third rate European leagues.

The global game and the Ubited Ststes just don't mix.

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

The USA may get to elite level with current changes in the game here, but not based around MLS.

The coaching at the youth level is improving dramatically over where it was even ten years ago. There are huge numbers of youth players (more than Germany and England combined), and rather than going the route of college and the MLS, the best ones will be playing in club academies run by large European and Mexican clubs, not the US-based for-profit training organizations that are only affordable to the relatively wealthy.

• Like 1

One of our fellow ESers, he played professionally in England and his kids played in the Manhester City academy, said he was impressed by the quality of he training he found at his club when he moved here.

IMO, we need to get HS and college soccer for our best players out of the equation.

The countries we aspire to be soccer wise, kids the same ages go into professional training environments year round. High school is a short 3-4 months where the focus isn't on development. College aged players have limited contact with heir coaches for most of the year. How can or best get better like that?

Not that Iceland has done anything great, but their total population is 330k and their total number of registered players,

Male and female, is 21k. And they probably put as many pros is to Europe as we do. Prob better ones too.

• Like 2

It's definitely getting better. This is coming to Raleigh:

"We want to share the details of an exciting project - a soccer school. It is designed for boys and girls who dream of playing D1 college or pro soccer. To do this, our children need more training time. Our kids train 6 hours/week while youth in South America and Europe train 15-20 hours/week. We believe in the adage that you need 10,000 hours to become a subject expert. The idea is to create a small private middle school(10-13 year olds) where students have high quality soccer training in the morning, school from 11am-5pm and club soccer in the afternoon and evening. It’s the same idea behind a music conservatory. We will not be a club team, but focus on outstanding morning technical training/tactics and education. Located at WakeMed to maximize school and soccer time, we will have regular interactions with the Carolina Railhawks when they train. As for the academics, we plan on taking advantage of all the changes in learning sciences, technology and the labor market. We plan to start out with 20-30 students and grow to 150 students in several years eventually offering grades 5-12. The “micro school” movement is growing in Silicon Valley, New York and elsewhere. Each student will have their own individualized learning plan in a blended learning environment. We will organize soccer-and-study trips to South America and elsewhere. In short, we believe that this education will best prepare our children for college and, more importantly, a global, technology-driven marketplace. Please take a look at www.accelerator.school."

Edited by daveakl

And the US won't be elite until MLS starts imitating global soccer best practices instead of the NFL's. <_<

You are saying that Klinsmann will leave after 2018 if he is not dispatched before.  Klinsmann is a legend and has probably had numerous coaching offers, but he is also a family man and will not leave the US for any reason until his kids are out of college.  That puts him on track for 2 more WCs if the US is not dumb enough to release him.

I reckon I have around another 50 years or so on this earth. Touch wood.

I don't expect the US to EVER be anything approaching elite in that time. The MLS is light years better than when it was first formed back the mid '90's. But it's still light years behind even second and third rate European leagues.

The global game and the Ubited Ststes just don't mix.

Hail.

One of our fellow ESers, he played professionally in England and his kids played in the Manhester City academy, said he was impressed by the quality of he training he found at his club when he moved here.

IMO, we need to get HS and college soccer for our best players out of the equation.

The countries we aspire to be soccer wise, kids the same ages go into professional training environments year round. High school is a short 3-4 months where the focus isn't on development. College aged players have limited contact with heir coaches for most of the year. How can or best get better like that?

Not that Iceland has done anything great, but their total population is 330k and their total number of registered players,

Male and female, is 21k. And they probably put as many pros is to Europe as we do. Prob better ones too.

First... GHH... 50 more years??? :lol:  :lol:

Secondly, it has NOTHING to do with MLS.

I think our fellow ES-er is also paying a pretty penny for his kids to be involved in a club team.  And that is where we get separated from the rest of the world.  Our rec leagues and youth leagues are awful and at least two years behind in age group with the rest of the world.

We can talk all day about that, but the success of US soccer has absolutely nothing to do with MLS.  Our best players are playing elsewhere anyways.