Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

US Soccer thread.

Kilmer17

Intelligence, touch, technique, speed of thought beating he US so far.

Nothing to do with the defensive set up and inability to possess the ball with that 11 selection?

They're clearly better... no one argues that.

But we're sitting back and tacking an ass whooping like a bunch of pussies.

****ing throw a punch...

• Like 1

Ive never seen anyone dribble the way he does while also having a lethal shot and fantastic vision. I dont think hes Maradona but hes damn close.

I never got to see Maradona play live.  But I've seen highlights.  And Messi's highlights are better than anyone out there.  He doesn't even use skill moves necessarily he's just so much quicker to react.  And the free kicks/shots are ridiculous.  For my money...from what I've seen...Messi is the best.  

Intelligence, touch, technique, speed of thought beating he US so far.

This is why well never be truly great in soccer. Its not about having the best athletes. Soccer requires different skills and different...instinct/thought process/creativity(dont know the exact word).

Were America so well always have the money/infrastructure/population to field respectable competitive teams but well never get true legit superstar players.

On the world stage, USA is a tier 3 team. Argentina is tier 1 powerhouse with a legit GOAT candidate?

Right. But here's what is TOTALLY unacceptable. You're on home soil. In a major semi-final. You might not be anywhere near as technically gifted as Argentina. You might not be anywhere near as tactically savvy or experienced on this stage as Argentina. But there's NO excuse for Argentina being first to every ball all over the park. The very LEAST you should expect is to match them for heart and effort. 

I'm not seeing that through the US side. That IS unacceptable. It starts and ends with the coach of course but every last one of them needs to take a long hard look in the mirror half time. 

Hail. 

• Like 2

Ive never seen anyone dribble the way he does while also having a lethal shot and fantastic vision. I dont think hes Maradona but hes damn close.

Robben's probably closest this generation, but not near as strong as Messi, has a weak right foot, and can't stay on the pitch a full season.

Nothing to do with the defensive set up and inability to possess the ball with that 11 selection?

They're clearly better... no one argues that.

But we're sitting back and tacking an ass whooping like a bunch of pussies.

****ing throw a punch...

agreed.  **** Argentina.  If they are going to beat us they need to get their fair share of worries.  

Right. But here's what is TOTALLY unacceptable. You're on home soil. In a major semi-final. You might not be anywhere near as technically gifted as Argentina. You might not be anywhere near as tactically savvy or experienced on this stage as Argentina. But there's NO excuse for Argentina being first to every ball all over the park. The very LEAST you should expect is to match them for heart and effort. 

I'm not seeing that through the US side. That IS unacceptable. It starts and ends with the coach of course but every last one of them needs to take a long hard look in the mirror half time. 

Hail. 

Our pivot is Michael Bradley, Graham Zusi, and Kyle Beckerman.

That's all you needed to know.

Robben's probably closest this generation, but not near as strong as Messi, has a weak right foot, and can't stay on the pitch a full season.

Robben is a tier 2 guy.  Great creator, but not a master like messi.  Has a **** weak foot and a bad attitude to boot actually.  Messi can literally do everything at the highest level.  He's got to be the best. 

They had two chances to cut into a pre-existing 2-0 lead. 

Two. 

Both came after the 35th minute.Do you know what that means? 

It means they didn't do **** after the 3rd minute when Lavezzi scored. 

It means they didn't even TRY to equalize. None of their attacks mounted to anything. Can't sustain possessions, can't get anything going offensively, just sad to watch. 

But this is Argentina. And this is expected. Just getting dominated. 

That' always been my argument. Until he does what Maradona did in '86, where he, as much as you can in the ultimate team sport, single handedly (LITERALLY! scream the English lol) takes his Country to WC glory he'll always be a smidgen behind him. And the other thing I'd always argue is the different era's. Maradona got some terrible abuse. Hell, there's a guy in Spain who bronzed the boot that put Maradona out for a year. Messi plays in an era when forwards are WAY more protected. All relative. 

Of course the flip side is Maradona is a horrible little **** who single handedly kept Colombia in business for decades but that's another story. 

Hail. 

• Like 3

Robben is a tier 2 guy. Great creator, but not a master like messi. Has a **** weak foot and a bad attitude to boot actually. Messi can literally do everything at the highest level. He's got to be the best.

Just responding to dribbling and shot. Robben can run at almost full tilt and keep the ball within inches of his foot.

No way am I comparing him to Messi overall. There's Messi, Ronaldo, and everyone else.

Edited by Long n Left

I see a lot of our attacks dying simply because of bad passes. They're pressuring us and we cough it up. Our passes and runs are not on the same page. Our passes go astray. They're reading and jumping the passing lanes.

Theres no attack so they're not really distracted. It goes hand in hand. In the other soccer thread I advocated for staying with the pressing. But we're not doing ourselves favors with no attack.

When they are jumping passing lanes, that's not even technique yet. That's 101. Just move to the ball.