Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

US Soccer thread.

Kilmer17

Interesting info on how they achieved “equal pay”

How did the USWNT get equal pay with U.S. Soccer if FIFA money is still unequal?

Last year, U.S. Soccer, the women's national team and the men's national team came together for a historic and first-of-its-kind deal: The two teams would pool their FIFA prize money together and then split it equally among both teams. Although FIFA prize money is still unequal, the teams have chosen to split it equally.

For instance, the U.S. men won around $13 million from FIFA for reaching the round of 16 at the World Cup in Qatar last year. If the women suffer a historic early exit and get knocked out in the round of 16 of this ongoing Women's World Cup, they would win around $1.9 million. But after pooling that money together with the men's money, and after giving 10% to U.S. Soccer to support youth programs, the USWNT would actually receive around $6.7 million, which will be more money than FIFA will award the champion of this tournament ($4.3 million).

No other federation splits money in this way. The Australian national teams, for instance, have proclaimed that they have equal pay down to the cent, but the caveat is that the agreement doesn't include FIFA prize money. That's the case with every equal pay deal around the world, except in the United States.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/38129076/equal-pay-explainer-uswnt-prize-money-women-world-cup

5 minutes ago, FrFan said:

Sweden is a tough opponent, at  5:00 AM Eastern on Fox

USA is still strangely 3rd or 4th by the bookmaker odds.  I don't expect USA to make it past Sweden or Japan.  But... if they do... they would become a favorite.  

Much better game from the US women, but this is what Sweden were playing for, and I think Vlatko helped them out by playing a very defensive side also. 

US wore out that left side of the Swedish defense, but a couple good saves by the keeper gets them to penalties. Japan sitting back loving this.

• Like 1

At least the U.S. went out finally playing well. If they had played like this in the last round, we wouldn't have been playing Sweden. Still, that is a game to keep their heads up. Missing the frame on a pk is unacceptable. I dont understand how players at the highest level fail at that.Next time...

• Thumb up 1

30 minutes ago, gbear said:

At least the U.S. went out finally playing well. If they had played like this in the last round, we wouldn't have been playing Sweden. Still, that is a game to keep their heads up. Missing the frame on a pk is unacceptable. I dont understand how players at the highest level fail at that.Next time...

...especially Rapinoe. 

3 hours ago, gbear said:

Looking at the replays, I noticed frequently both GKs were going to the correct side of the kick, but failed to block it.

So I think the players now are not just aiming for a side, but a specific spot, with a pretty tight margin between hitting the net and missing completely.  And they are also elevating their shots quite a bit.  This is all to prevent a block

Edited by DCSaints_fan

Expected result, but not the expected manner.  Rapnioe must be gutted about the miss, but she shouldn't even have been on the team. There wasn't a 28 or 18 year old worthy of her spot? 

I say this knowing only the scores, the fact there were a lot of missed PKs and the fact that Sweden's winning PK was barely over the line.