Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

US Soccer thread.

Kilmer17

Looking forward to this test with Canada.  I didn't realize Pepi moved to Bundeslig and was loaned to Eredivisie (Dutch First League).  He scored double digits there for the season. 

I don't know if CONCACAAF can rescind red cards.  What did Weston get red carded for?  Getting pushed by 5 opponents into a scrum and getting his shirt ripped?  Seemed like Mexico enjoyed just trying to get us carded.  But that's pretty typical... 

I just looked at the Mexican soccer roster and remimded myself they did not bring the A squad.... Lozano, Jimenez, Herrerra, Corona and Lainez didn't play.  

17 hours ago, Fergasun said:

Looking forward to this test with Canada.  I didn't realize Pepi moved to Bundeslig and was loaned to Eredivisie (Dutch First League).  He scored double digits there for the season. 

I don't know if CONCACAAF can rescind red cards.  What did Weston get red carded for?  Getting pushed by 5 opponents into a scrum and getting his shirt ripped?  Seemed like Mexico enjoyed just trying to get us carded.  But that's pretty typical... 

I just looked at the Mexican soccer roster and remimded myself they did not bring the A squad.... Lozano, Jimenez, Herrerra, Corona and Lainez didn't play.  

Doesn’t matter. That’s 3 wins and 3 draws in last six matches, and largest win over Mexico in over two decades. We’re living in their heads rent free. Just wish Weston and Dest had kept their heads.

BTW, McKennie got his red for grabbing one of the Mexican players by the neck.

Edited by Long n Left

No Adams.  No Dest.  No McKennie.  No problem! 

Taking out Canada and Mexico combined 5-0 is so impressive.  Onto the Gold Cup!  Except we are kind've sending a "B" team.

How many goals did US soccer score at the World Cup?  Was it three total?  That's what Google says...

• 2 weeks later...

Ferriera has an amazing ability to get a shot off quickly.  The U.S. might finally have a goal scorer.  It is easy to say he had hat tricks against weaker competition, but he is still the only U.S. player to do it in consecutive games, and it's not like previous players didn't play against this level of competition. 

I would also point out Cade Cowell seems to have speed to burn.  I look forward to seeing him and Ferriera together putting pressure on opposition defenses.

I thought our midfield in general looked pretty solid with good quick touches to move the ball and create space.  Now I don't know if that was the result of weak competition, but again one can only play against the team on the other side of the ball.  They did what they were supposed to do.

The back looked to be lulled to sleep a little when they got a significant lead which could be concerning.  Still, I think the U.S, controlled the game for the most part from whistle to whistle.    

@gbear

My takeaway on Ferriera is I would like to see him go to Europe and produce.  Balogun obviously is the best US goal scorer, but the lineup behind him is up for grabs over the next 2 years.

The productivity is good, but these B/C players need to show some electricity.  Cowell also brought it when he stepped on the field... but I would like to see players able to dribble 1v1, create chances, etc.

Realistically, imo, the only guys I see from this group getting into the ‘26 WC side are Turner, Robinson, and Ferreira. I really like what I’ve seen from Cowell. He is a huge threat running at defenders 1v1, and already has a man body, and solid strength to go with his pace. Most promising young attacker for the USMNT since Pulisic. He may make that side, but he also prefers the same position Pulisic does. Need to find a way to integrate them both in the attack, along with Gio. That would be an attack that can score goals at any level.

From the remaining guys in this Gold Cup group, I only see Neal, Busio and Reynolds as guys with an outside shot of making the ‘26 side. Like that Neal is getting good run in this tournament, and think he is definitely part of the future USMNT back line with Robinson and Richards. 

US advance to San Diego to play Panama in the semifinals of the Gold Cup.

Were up 1-0 but Canada tied it on a penalty. Canada took the lead in extra time 2-1 but US scored (Busio) and won in a shootout.

Edited by ixcuincle

@ixcuincle

I watched the whole darn thing.  Wanted to bleach my eyes after 75 minutes.  And then it turned into ugly-exciting, 4 goal, settle with penalty kick football for the final 45 minutes.

I know it is not even our C team minus Miles Robinson, but Miles Rob gave up 2 PKs with handballs in the box (1 was negated by a foul in the box on Canada). The 2nd put the game into ET.  Too sloppy from the best outfield player and someone who may start.  

US score came from a cross generated by Dejuan Jones to Vazqueze... Jones has impressed me at left back.  Vazquez looked better than Ferriera. The other was a lucky own goal in late game "get 8 men and the ball into the box".  

Cade Cowell deserves to play the entire game over Zendejas... 

Ugly game. Didn’t like BJ’s starting lineup. Zendejas and Glessen gave Ferreira nothing to play with. Zendejas is not a winger. He is, at best, a #10 who should be more central, trying to create and link the attack.

That said, US dominated the game. Canada sat back, and tried to hit the counter. Had two shots on goal all game, both found back of the net. Poor finishing from the US, Busio especially, missing a few good opportunities. With no real scoring threat up top other than Ferreira, US became easy to defend, as Canada forced them to lump in too many long balls.

Cade Cowell changed the tenor of the whole game when he came in. His pace, strength, and tenacity opened up Canada’s defense like a hooker’s legs. Was just a matter of time till the US scored, but again, more missed chances. Wonderful goal by Vasquez to win it late, but the late pen changed that.

Thought that penalty call was a bit harsh. Robinson did not have his arm in an unnatural position, he was moving it up to protect himself from the upcoming contact, and the ball gets played into the hand from less than a meter away. New rules say that you can’t knock it into a defender’s hand/arm from close range and get a penalty, if he has no chance to move it away. Thought the first half call was wrong as well. That was a clear penalty, and I thought the push call was really soft. So, tit for tat, I guess.

would love to see a 4-2-3-1 against Panama, with Ferreira sitting behind Vasquez, and Cowell and Morris on the wings from the start. Sands and Busio can sit a bit deeper. Mihailovic has done **** all for me, except be in the right place a couple times to knock in goals against inferior opponents. Gives the ball away like Halloween candy.

11 hours ago, Fergasun said:

They lost 3 straight to I think England, Spain and Germany in the fall of 2022.  Not sure our girls will be as dominant as in the past. 

I have no idea how those matches went in detail.

Yes. That 3 game stretch was the worst for them since the 1990's.

Looked sloppy last night, missing goals and penalties. But they still won.

6 minutes ago, China said:

After giving up the first goal, the US looks tentative, like they've lost confidence.  I hope they figure out something at halftime.

That early high press was too aggressive for too long and played into the Netherlands hands.  But they over reacted to the goal and went too far the other way, stopped playing on the front foot. Lost their form and look confused.

the ref is allowing way too much grabbing from behind. Everyone that gets by their defender is immediately grabbed and dragged down.