Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

US Soccer thread.

Kilmer17

Poor team selection, imo.

Dutch more technical, more tactically aware, bullying the US girls, and over running the US midfield.

Dutch doing this without the best player in the world, and one of their top wingers. US women look old and slow. 

If you’re going to press, then press. US playing into Dutch hands. Need changes in personnel and tactics this second half.

2 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

Not sure why it was assumed US would stay ahead forever... 3rd game will have a lot of pressure if the score holds.

It's not about them not staying ahead forever, it's about how they've responded when they inevitably fell behind.  Which, to this point, hasn't been that great of a response.

US injuries hurt them (no Macario no Swanson no Sauerbrunn) but the coaching is also sketchy. Fans have been clamoring for Vladkto to be sacked after the abysmal Olympic performance.

That said the US is still #1 in their group.

17 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

US injuries hurt them (no Macario no Swanson no Sauerbrunn) but the coaching is also sketchy. Fans have been clamoring for Vladkto to be sacked after the abysmal Olympic performance.

That said the US is still #1 in their group.

Vlatko should be sacked after last night. No subs in the final 45? Nuts! Rodman was abysmal, and should have been replaced at half.

Also, I think he’s not put together a good squad. There are no true “leaders” on this team. Sauerbrunn and Lloyd were leaders…Rapinoe, Morgan, and O’Hara are not…and of those three, only Morgan should be seeing the field, imo, but not for a full 90.

Add Davidson and Hatch to the missing that could provide more quality and depth. I will not be surprised to see this team get bounced early in the knockouts. No midfield, besides Lavalle, that can link the attack. That will be their downfall I’m afraid.

Vlatko out!

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/38112906/andonovski-hits-back-lloyd-criticism-uswnt-draw

Lloyd, who retired at the end of 2021 after 16 years on the national team, is now a commentator for Fox Sports, the English-language broadcaster of the Women's World Cup in the United States.

She has been a frequent critic of the team since retiring, rallying against a culture of the team that she said had moved away from focusing on winning. She offered similar criticism after the match, which a journalist relayed to Andonovski.

"You never want to take anything for granted," Lloyd said. "You put on that jersey and you want to give it everything you have, for the people that came before you and the people that are gonna come after you, and I'm just not seeing that passion.

"I'm just seeing a very lackluster, uninspiring, taking-it-for-granted, where winning and training and doing all that you can to be the best possible individual player is not happening."

4 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/38112906/andonovski-hits-back-lloyd-criticism-uswnt-draw

Lloyd, who retired at the end of 2021 after 16 years on the national team, is now a commentator for Fox Sports, the English-language broadcaster of the Women's World Cup in the United States.

She has been a frequent critic of the team since retiring, rallying against a culture of the team that she said had moved away from focusing on winning. She offered similar criticism after the match, which a journalist relayed to Andonovski.

"You never want to take anything for granted," Lloyd said. "You put on that jersey and you want to give it everything you have, for the people that came before you and the people that are gonna come after you, and I'm just not seeing that passion.

"I'm just seeing a very lackluster, uninspiring, taking-it-for-granted, where winning and training and doing all that you can to be the best possible individual player is not happening."

I think she’s spot on, and I think it falls on the lack of leadership in this side. From Vlatko on down, there just doesn’t seem to be any passion, any fire. Tactically they have been crap, imo, and they are playing as a bunch of individuals, not a cohesive team.

This team has almost zero chance of beating a really good Sweden team in their first knockout match. Lavalle misses due to her second yellow (a very harsh call imo), and she is the only midfielder able to link any attack. Playing Ertz at CB is hurting this team, as they need her in midfield, and she has made a good many errors in the back, because she thinks like a mid, and not a CB. Also, not a single minute for either Mewis or Sanchez is a mistake as both of those are more forward thinking, quicker midfielders that can add some speed and link in the attack.

Unfortunately, don’t think we will get to see that, as Vlatko continues to ride his tired old horses.

#VlatkoOut!

After three games the reality seems to be that this team just isn’t very good. I can’t tell you why because I don’t follow them so closely, but what I see on the field is a soccer team without any chemistry.  It’s all formless disjointed action.  

I’ll be surprised if they aren’t eliminated quickly in the knockout stage.  

1 minute ago, Destino said:

After three games the reality seems to be that this team just isn’t very good. I can’t tell you why because I don’t follow them so closely, but what I see on the field is a soccer team without any chemistry.  It’s all formless disjointed action.  

I’ll be surprised if they aren’t eliminated quickly in the knockout stage.  

Almost a certainty that they will face Sweden first…Sweden gonna roll em.

Be checking the line on a Sweden win by 2 goals or more.

Been a crazy group stage this. Think Sweden and England have to be favorites, with France nipping at their heels. Wouldn’t count out the Lady Roos either. They can be very good on their day. 

Would say Dutch have a chance too, but no Miedema is too big a of a loss, imo.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/38123545/usa-lindsey-horan-frustrated-carli-lloyd-criticism-team-mentality

AUCKLAND, New Zealand -- United States women's national team captain Lindsey Horan pushed back against negative comments from retired former teammate and pundit Carli Lloyd, saying such criticism of the team's mentality "hurts" and is "frustrating" but it's just "noise."

Lloyd stirred controversy by criticizing her former team after a 0-0 draw against Portugal to close the Women's World Cup group stage. Lloyd retired from the team in 2021 and has played with most of this current USWNT roster and for coach Vlatko Andonovski.

Dear Lindsey Horan,

You want equality with the USMNT?  Well I guess you have it now.  A team that for decades has been criticized for under performing and failing to make even into the Group Stage (the men).

Yes, no one knows what is going on "behind the scenes" or how training is going. But, you only get exposure for a short 3 game window.  And the American people are watching.  And you all have not shown up.  

• Like 1

It's kinda sad that anytime I've witnessed a conversation in person about US soccer, it's always the same theme of how we are completely uncompetitive internationally...

But the second the success of our women's teams comes up, there's murmurs, then the conversation continues uninterrupted...

That to me is the ultimate taking for granted here and it bothers so much seeing the women's team fall from grace because of it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

It's kinda sad that anytime I've witnessed a conversation in person about US soccer, it's always the same theme of how we are completely uncompetitive internationally...

But the second the success of our women's teams comes up, there's murmurs, then the conversation continues uninterrupted...

That to me is the ultimate taking for granted here and it bothers so much seeing the women's team fall from grace because of it.

Not sure I’ve ever seen anyone opine that the USWNT has ever been uncompetitive internationally. Men’s team? Sure. Women? They’ve been the dominant side in international football for decades…undeniably.

What I have seen is many who think that the rest of the world is catching up quickly, now that they are spending actual time, effort, and money on it.

IMO, many European and S. American nations have a much richer talent pool of coaches to choose from, and now that they’ve gotten young athletes up through the ranks, their tactical acumen has narrowed the gap between them and the USA substantially. For many years, the USA spent far more time and money on the women’s team than their counterparts, and could essentially “out-athlete” most all other nations. That athletic gap has closed, and now managerial tactics are playing a larger part. This is where the USA and Andonovsky suffer.

They continue to play lump it forward and let your speedy girls run in behind football, and that is easy to defend. Opponents are playing more tactical footy, and running through the American midfield as if it wasn’t there too often.

I thought that after the Olympics, Vlatko would be in a rebuild, but he continues to rely on a large group of the same players, playing the same tactics. I doubt we will see any real changes, and I doubt that this team will progress past this match. If that happens, I will be interested to see what the ramifications are for the future.

@Long n Left

I think you completely misunderstood what I said.

No one cares about Women's soccer in this country, big reason they've had trouble even keeping their league(s) from folding over the years.

9 times out of 10 when soccer is discussed its in context of the men's team and MLS vs say Premier League.

The second women's soccer comes up, most people I've talked to jus move on or don't care.  The rest of the world catching up was inevitable, but different conversation.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1