Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

US Soccer thread.

Kilmer17

Could this mean this scandal (blackmail or whatever this is) is the end of Berhalter being the coach of US National team.  According to ESPN, Zinedine Zidane declined USSF approach to be their new coach for the US National Team.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-states-usa/story/4847625/zinedine-zidane-rejected-approach-to-coach-usa

Edited by Maxito

5 hours ago, Maxito said:

Could this mean this scandal (blackmail or whatever this is) is the end of Berhalter being the coach of US National team.  According to ESPN, Zinedine Zidane declined USSF approach to be their new coach for the US National Team.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-states-usa/story/4847625/zinedine-zidane-rejected-approach-to-coach-usa

At least they shot for the stars 🤷‍♂️

• 3 weeks later...

Shows how much we pay attention. 

Sporting Director Earnie Stewart goes back to Europe, PSV where he played.  Brian McBride, the GM also stepped down. 

Cindy Parlow Cone (a former woman's team player, coach and VP) is heading up the search for a new coach and other positions looking at organizational changes. 

Also, Gio Reyna just scored a goal in the previous 2 Dortmund games.  He did Memphis Depay' celebration... wonder if that has anything to do with Gregg Berhalter saying "We don't have any players like Memphis Depay on our team...."?  after the WC exit.

• 3 months later...

As the European season winds down. my take on how some USMNT players did. 

Josh Sargent - Doesn't play in Premier League (championship, the 2nd league), but he is most productive USMNT player in Europe by goals and has the most minutes.  Feel like he is the only forward who I have seen take a good step forward.

Gio/Pulisic - Incomplete...  both hurt by injuries and Chelsea benched Pulisic. 

Aaronson - Frustrating to watch him.  He had a really nice assist off a corner recently and should be the USMNT corner taker.  Frustrating because I want to see better.  He needs to work on placing his shots... seems to juuuuust miss a lot of shots. Like his energy though.  As a goal scorer Harrison and Bamford are somehow more productive on Leeds and they are just average England players. This is also discouraging. 

Tyler Adams - Best US midfielder.  He is currently injured. 

Weston McKennie - Joined Aaronson and Adams at Leeds.  Pretty solid and a lot of good minutes this season. 

Antonee Robinson - Solid starter for Fulham. Impressed by his play whenever I see him for an extended period of time.  Best US defender who will keep playing. 

Yunus Mussa - Got great minutes for his club in Spain (Valencia) but not as produtive as one would like to see.  

Ream - Solid CB but not likely to play in 2026.

Dest - Barely got minutes... see Pulisic and Gio but he just got benched.  

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ladies and gentlemen...we got him

https://www.foxsports.com/articles/soccer/us-can-pick-folarin-balogun-as-fifa-approves-eligibility-change-from-england

The United States can select Folarin Balogun after the England Under-21 forward who has starred in the French league opted to represent the 2026 World Cup co-host.

FIFA said on Tuesday it approved a request by the U.S. Soccer Federation to change Balogun’s national eligibility from England. The 21-year-old New York-born player also was eligible for Nigeria.

Balogun has been in demand after a breakout season in France on loan to Reims from Arsenal.

2 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

glltn9tht80b1.jpg?width=354&auto=webp&v=enabled&s=80a388da61c298eb5e9aa5a814b4c0015397e72e

This is like the US getting someone like Steph Curry that scores ****ing points. We are going to become a scoring dynamo. 

That is a MAJOR get for US Soccer! 

Another young star to plug in with what’s there already, and should help solidify the attacking line, and take a little pressure, and make a little more room for Pulisic, Reyna, Aaronson, Weah, et al. Making me very excited for 2026.

10 hours ago, Fergasun said:

He is instantly our best striker. Which has been our worst postion. Bad for Aronson, Gio and Sargent...

Sargent yes, but Reyna and Aaronson play mostly on the wings. Though, I think Gio’s best usage might be as a deeper sitting playmaker, possibly in a 4-2-3-1, but that takes away one of the 3 solid midfielders. 

Who this is really bad for is Pepe, Ferreira, and Dike.

Gonna be interesting to see who US Soccer hires to lead this squad. Lot of good, young talent. Unfortunately, I have very little faith that they will make a good hire.

This is awesome news for us.Dude is a natural goalscorer.All Mexican fans just say is well he is playing in a bad league but that's just how they are.

An attack with him,Reyna,and Pulisic is very exciting.Then have Dike,Aaronson,etc also.

Very good young team.

Got tickets to the game vs Nicaragua in July.Hopefully he will feature!

1 hour ago, Long n Left said:

Sargent yes, but Reyna and Aaronson play mostly on the wings. Though, I think Gio’s best usage might be as a deeper sitting playmaker, possibly in a 4-2-3-1, but that takes away one of the 3 solid midfielders. 

Who this is really bad for is Pepe, Ferreira, and Dike.

Gonna be interesting to see who US Soccer hires to lead this squad. Lot of good, young talent. Unfortunately, I have very little faith that they will make a good hire.

Good question.

Berhalter is done,Marsch us not a good fit either imo.

While it would be good to get a fellow American in the technical area,I just have a feeling we will go for a non American which is OK with me if they have the pedigree.

1 hour ago, Cool Hwhip said:

This is awesome news for us.Dude is a natural goalscorer.All Mexican fans just say is well he is playing in a bad league but that's just how they are.

An attack with him,Reyna,and Pulisic is very exciting.Then have Dike,Aaronson,etc also.

Very good young team.

Got tickets to the game vs Nicaragua in July.Hopefully he will feature!

Good question.

Berhalter is done,Marsch us not a good fit either imo.

While it would be good to get a fellow American in the technical area,I just have a feeling we will go for a non American which is OK with me if they have the pedigree.

Im not as down on Marsch as others, and I think his high energy style could fit well with the young, athletic players the US has. Also has a close relationship with new head of US Soccer.

Think Enrique is a pipe dream, but I hope they’ve at least made contact. Martinez is another long shot as well, and I’m not sure I wouldn’t rather Tite, if it were between the two.

Whoever it is, needs to be appointed right after the cup games next month, so they can get in, get to know the guys, and begin instilling their vision for a good WC run in 2026.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Long n Left said:

Im not as down on Marsch as others, and I think his high energy style could fit well with the young, athletic players the US has. Also has a close relationship with new head of US Soccer.

Think Enrique is a pipe dream, but I hope they’ve at least made contact. Martinez is another long shot as well, and I’m not sure I wouldn’t rather Tite, if it were between the two.

Whoever it is, needs to be appointed right after the cup games next month, so they can get in, get to know the guys, and begin instilling their vision for a good WC run in 2026.

Fair enough friend, just never been the biggest JM fan. But if he does get the job, will of course support him.

Enrique yeah I think may be a stretch but would be a fantastic move indeed.

Time is of the essence for sure and with the new leaders in the national team setup, I assume they are trying to get it done sooner rather than later.

My personal preference is Jim Curtin.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ixcuincle said:

And as usual Mexican fans being homophobic with their chant and throwing **** on the field when the outcome was decided well into the 3-0 blowout by the US.

Time for FIFA to do more than a mere slap on the wrist, like the $100,000 fine for homophobic chanting a few months ago. Since the WC is in N. America, can’t ban them from that, but FIFA and CONCACAF need to make a statement. A Gold Cup and Nations League ban possibly, and a fine that hurts, like $1M. 

Mexican fans are the Eagles fans of world football.

On 6/16/2023 at 2:56 PM, Long n Left said:

Time for FIFA to do more than a mere slap on the wrist, like the $100,000 fine for homophobic chanting a few months ago. Since the WC is in N. America, can’t ban them from that, but FIFA and CONCACAF need to make a statement. A Gold Cup and Nations League ban possibly, and a fine that hurts, like $1M. 

Mexican fans are the Eagles fans of world football.

Don't expect anything significant from someone who sold his ass to Qatar.

• Like 1