Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RCC.com: The Redskins are HBO's backup plan if the NFL grants Cleveland's request for exemption due to Manziels rehab. (M.E.T.)

Chadwiko

Over the years, the idea that being featured in Hard Knocks is a huge distraction to team has been shown to be simply not true.  4 out of the last 9 teams featured on Hard Knocks made playoffs. 

We get the chance to see

• How much of a competition it really is between RGIII/Cousins
  • How Scot McCloughan and Jay Gruden interacts with the team
  • Who has more power? Scot or Gruden?
  • Does Snyder really meddle with team decisions anymore?
  • Rookie draft class and how they transition to the NFL

Fans have been endlessly debating some of these topics for years and the reality is these debates never end because we never truly know the right or wrong answer.  We'll definitely get closer to an answer though if we're featured.   

A team with John Riggins, Joe Thiesmann, the Hogs and the "5 o'clock' club, Dexter Manley etc etc ....if there had been the media coverage and social media scrutiny back then it would have been a complete circus. Hell John Riggins alone would have been a 24/7 ESPN special. Boring they were not.

But the team won so it all worked.

Not sure how Gibbs managed all those clowns. It would have been a total sheet show.

The same people that don't want this because of the "distraction" are the same people that were afraid to practice with the Pats last Training Camp in fear that they'd pick up on our stuff and steal some of our plays.

what about those of us that think it's a distraction, but thought practicing with the pats would be good because our team might learn how to act like a respectable team?

(that we later found out just keeps cheating, lol)

A team with John Riggins, Joe Thiesmann, the Hogs and the "5 o'clock' club, Dexter Manley etc etc ....if there had been the media coverage and social media scrutiny back then it would have been a complete circus. Hell John Riggins alone would have been a 24/7 ESPN special. Boring they were not.

But the team won so it all worked.

They *were* a media circus.  Everyone knew about Riggins, the 5 o'clock club, etc.  However, Riggo and Theismann were veterans who took their game seriously, and the young-uns did too.  They had something to prove but they had the ability and will to prove it.  Let the 2015 Skins stay off everyone's radar.

I don't understand the fans that think this is enough of a distraction that we shouldn't root for it to happen...

You realize we suck, right? And that as a Redskins fan, your team is supposed to entertain you?

How do we suck?  We haven't lost a game in five months!

This is very true. Hard Knocks would bring the name change truthers out in a big way. However, given that the name change nonsense picked back up in a big way with the 2012 success/rookie phenom, we can't be scared of national prominence. I'd rather be successful and constantly deal with the name change debate than live in the shadows with a garbage football team named the Redskins.

by name truthers do you mean the dozens democratic lawmakers who signed off on the memo to change the name of the team?

50 democratic senators supported by harry reid according to wapo

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/senate-democrats-urge-nfl-to-endorse-name-change-for-redskins/2014/05/22/f87e1a4c-e1f1-11e3-810f-764fe508b82d_story.html

I'd rather it be this year than down the road after the team is actually good.

Most of us are expecting a 5-8 win season, and not making the playoffs so wouldn't it be good to get it out of the way now rather than 2-5 years from now when the team (potentially) becomes a contender?

I vote no, for a lot of reasons.  

But I have a question: IF it does happen, would you be able to see it on HBO Now? because you can't see the other seasons. (Something about the content being owned by the NFL, and not HBO) Because if it did happen, I'd want to watch it.  And I don't have HBO, but I do have HBO Now.  

I vote no, for a lot of reasons.

But I have a question: IF it does happen, would you be able to see it on HBO Now? because you can't see the other seasons. (Something about the content being owned by the NFL, and not HBO) Because if it did happen, I'd want to watch it. And I don't have HBO, but I do have HBO Now.

you know participation is compulsary with exceptions? im sure itll be on hbo now and hopefully they will up the bitrate of their streams. the crushed blacks ruined it on my 80" lcd.

WTF happened to "just shut up and play"? lol...RG3 tweets 9 words, half this board is railing against him being on the roster and claiming he's just wanting the spotlight on himself. Scot M takes a few sentences during an interview to outline his vision and goals for the team, and half the fans on this board are either telling HIM to shut up or ridiculing the idea that we should care one way or another what anyone with the Redskins has to say..."show us on the field first" was a rallying point.

But HBO wants cameras and microphones around every player and coach every single day, and it's "Hell yeah, bring it on!!" lol...

The disconnect is astounding.

It's just more cameras around, who cares? As if every little thing that's said or done in redskins park isn't already blown out of proportion.

pretty hypocritical of redskins fans to hate on this... the same fans who make sweeping judgements from 2 minute press conferences. (Not all...just some ;) )

Also, for a guy who's barely played nfl football, Jonny Manziel sure has an impact on things...

WTF happened to "just shut up and play"? lol...RG3 tweets 9 words, half this board is railing against him being on the roster and claiming he's just wanting the spotlight on himself. Scot M takes a few sentences during an interview to outline his vision and goals for the team, and half the fans on this board are either telling HIM to shut up or ridiculing the idea that we should care one way or another what anyone with the Redskins has to say..."show us on the field first" was a rallying point.

But HBO wants cameras and microphones around every player and coach every single day, and it's "Hell yeah, bring it on!!" lol...

The disconnect is astounding.

That is funny.  RG3 can't sneeze without it sparking a massive argument about what he really meant and what his motives are.  People on both sides would be freeze-framing every second he's on screen to interpret his actions

Washington Post - "RG3 walks past DeSean without looking at him, here's a thousand words on the issue we just made up between those two." 

ESPN - 'RG3 stands farther away from Gruden than Cousins, a QB shakeup in the nation's capital??'

Sports Junkies - 'okay lets take some calls now, tell us what YOU think it meant when Robert took a sip of Gatorade, was he sending a message to Scot?'  'I smell Dans fingerprints on this!'

I'd be fine if they do the show but the magnifying glass on him is just going to get 10x stronger.

by name truthers do you mean the dozens democratic lawmakers who signed off on the memo to change the name of the team?

50 democratic senators supported by harry reid according to wapo

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/senate-democrats-urge-nfl-to-endorse-name-change-for-redskins/2014/05/22/f87e1a4c-e1f1-11e3-810f-764fe508b82d_story.html

Please leave your liberal garbage out of the stadium and stick to the PC posts in the tailgate.  That filth shouldn't be associated with the stadium.

I was on fence of not caring, but after a few posters have lamented the fact Griffin and all involved would be under even more of a microscope, I say no. Just not a good year to have show be a part of the off season.

Real talk...

Like it or not, this team generates money. We're part to blame, but that's neither her nor there.

HBO would be dumb not to want the Redskins...
RG3, D-Jax, The Name Debate, Scott's Comeback, Jon Gruden's brother, and Dan Snyder

And I didn't even say anything about the characters and camera friendly on our team like Alfred Morris, Garcon,  D.Hall, Jason Hatcher, Chris Baker, Trent Williams, Niles Paul, etc.

IT'S GOING TO HAPPEN ONE DAY!

Might as well get it over with. The sooner the better.

Can one of the stat geeks here find the records of the teams that have been on this show? I haven't looked at the whole thread so I guess it's possible it's already in here.

Just off the top of my head, I can't recall a team performing well after this. Not that being on the show will make a good team bad, it just seems like nothing good can come of it.

Can one of the stat geeks here find the records of the teams that have been on this show? I haven't looked at the whole thread so I guess it's possible it's already in here.

Just off the top of my head, I can't recall a team performing well after this. Not that being on the show will make a good team bad, it just seems like nothing good can come of it.

Just thinking off the top of my head, nobody did great but nobody did bad either.  I really don't think a hard knocks curse exists.  I personally would love to see the insides of my favorite team.  In comparison to the time spent in training camp vs the camera time......it's practically nothing.  Out of 8 episodes/8 hours, they probably interact with the players/coaches/GM for probably a few small hours.  IMO of course.

Archived