Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RCC.com: The Redskins are HBO's backup plan if the NFL grants Cleveland's request for exemption due to Manziels rehab. (M.E.T.)

Chadwiko

here is the issue with your post: the name change thing has been made a political issue that is divided across party lines based on stated positions of politicans and memos one of which I previously linked to. So where is the line? This is basically regulatory or pre-regulatory action sent from an elected political position against the Redskins; I'd say that affects the Redskins and belongs in the stadium but I will understand the will of the Mods and not bring it up but that doesn't mean it isn't an issue that affects the team and where they can have a stadium for example. I made a post in response to others about the name change "issue" that may arise if we are given more media exposure -- I just don't think these guys are going to be silent while the redskins are in the headlines on a pedestool on HBO, and they are not exactly unaffiliated, un-mic'd, or media shy.

Stating the facts pertaining to the Redskins and which elected officials are involved isn't the problem. We're going to draw the line, however, when it's turned into a "liberal vs. conservative" issue or a method for furthering one's political stance.

Not that you did that, but your post generated a response that did. So it's simply best to err on the side of caution here and avoid it now. :)

I don't frequent the tailgate so I don't know, but what can happen is posters know each other's views and begin to read between the lines here in the Stadium. Then it quickly turns into a heated debate about everything except the Redskins, even if dressed up as a Redskins issue.

Back to HBO...

I like it.

I think the distraction issue is moot, since the media is a bloodthirsty circus of jackals around the team already.

Maybe HBO can show that for what it is. Have a nice segment in week three of some equipment manager driving out to get lunch, listening to Thom Loverro tell us all that Robert's motivational tweet about Jesus really means he hates Kirk Cousins and wants to knee Jay Gruden in the nuts.

And, i think that for a team led by a guy who is supposed to be all concerned about his brand, this may focus him into maturing and turning into a young vet QB on the rise.

It's not as if NFL Films isn't a standard part of their career's already. HBO may have more cameras and such, but given how many of them have already lived their lives in the spotlight for so long, I just think the distraction is overblown.

I'm all for it. HBO manages to make even dysfunctional teams look like they've got a future.

~Bang

Browns are out so it seems Skins are the front runner.

At this point, it's being reported that they're not doing it: 

John Keim ‏@john_keim 5m5 minutes ago

FWIW: I was told the Redskins did not want to be on Hard Knocks and do not consider themselves possibilities for the HBO show...

Homer McFanboy ‏@HomerMcFanboy 21m21 minutes ago

"The source said that NFL Films, which produces the series, does not want an unwilling participant." That's from the article. @BurgundyBlog

1. @HomerMcFanboy @BurgundyBlog fwiw: I was told skins not a possibility

Had the org said yes to this, I would be thinking "ok, so Scot quickly succumbs to the Redskins Circus Effect, too." It would really shake any confidence I'm building that we're finally and seriously changing the culture of this outfit (for want of a better phrase). I couldn't imagine a potentially more disastrous time in general, either, to do such a thing. Lots of big decisions may be made after 2016. The fewer distractions the better (and that hope feels like wishing for floods in the Sahara).

If all of the other teams also say no then they are forced to take an unwilling participant. The fact that the Browns had to request for a special exemption shows that it is not a situation with willing participants lined up. The media would make it a circus for the Redskins. I think HBO would present it positively but the spin from the media would be bad with analysis on every frame and sound bite.

I like it.

I think the distraction issue is moot, since the media is a bloodthirsty circus of jackals around the team already.

Maybe HBO can show that for what it is. Have a nice segment in week three of some equipment manager driving out to get lunch, listening to Thom Loverro tell us all that Robert's motivational tweet about Jesus really means he hates Kirk Cousins and wants to knee Jay Gruden in the nuts.

And, i think that for a team led by a guy who is supposed to be all concerned about his brand, this may focus him into maturing and turning into a young vet QB on the rise.

It's not as if NFL Films isn't a standard part of their career's already. HBO may have more cameras and such, but given how many of them have already lived their lives in the spotlight for so long, I just think the distraction is overblown.

I'm all for it. HBO manages to make even dysfunctional teams look like they've got a future.

~Bang

And, in a way, this reduces our off-season. We usually have no more than 21 weeks of Redskins football (4 pre-season weeks followed by 17 regular-season weeks). This will give us more time and somewhat extend our in-season. I'll take it. 

Had the org said yes to this, I would be thinking "ok, so Scot quickly succumbs to the Redskins Circus Effect, too." It would really shake any confidence I'm building that we're finally and seriously changing the culture of this outfit (for want of a better phrase). I couldn't imagine a potentially more disastrous time in general, either, to do such a thing. Lots of big decisions may be made after 2016. The fewer distractions the better (and that hope feels like wishing for floods in the Sahara).

Unfortunately there really isn't a choice.  If they pick the Redskins that's who it will be.  No teams "want" this anymore, so the NFL stepped in and said if chosen, a team has to do it unless they can get an exception, which the Browns did.

Unfortunately there really isn't a choice.  If they pick the Redskins that's who it will be.  No teams "want" this anymore, so the NFL stepped in and said if chosen, a team has to do it unless they can get an exception, which the Browns did.

Did not know that, but should have---eccch. Have never watched more than segments of random episodes of the show, either.

Texans Considered "Favorites" To Be Featured On Hard Knocks (both nfltraderumors.com and profootballtalk.com)

Earlier on Friday, there was a report that the Texans, Redskins and Bills were the three teams under consideration to be featured on this summer’s edition of “Hard Knocks.”

It seems that the Texans may be ahead of the other two teams in terms of who will wind up on the program. Tania Ganguli of ESPN.com reports that the Texans are the favorites to be given a time slot on HBO.

There were reports in March that the Bills weren’t interested in doing the show and the league couldn’t compel them to do it because they have a new coaching staff this offseason. John Keim of ESPN.com also reports Friday that the Redskins do not want to do the show and that they are “not one of the finalists.”

It would be funny if all the teams left in the running say we do not want to be on hardknocks. What would Hard Knocks do if all the teams refuse to cooperate or give the Belichek answers in speeches etc? The players could do the "I'm just here so I don't get fined" The coaches could do the "I am doing well thanks for the questions" response. Other answers could be I am just concentrating on Week one Etc.

Gil Brandt is contradicting John Keim's report, saying he is also being told it's going to be the Redskins

Like I said, I've got mixed feelings about this, but from memory Gil Brandt hasn't been right about much for a long time, so...who knows.

It would be a distraction no doubt but better to have it in a lost season, plus who of us WOUDLN'T watch it and enjoy it? Been wanting a 24/7 type doc on Scot McCloughan since he came on board, guess this will have to do. Gruden and Griffin can expedite their own demises.

Archived