Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Which Player Woud You Select at #5?

Mania

Which Player would you take at number 5?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. If we had to draft a player at number 5 and Williams and a trade down were not an option, who would you select?

This poll is closed to new votes

Shelton.

I'm big on front line talent and would pick an A- lineman over an outside player with an A grade. If the differences were not too big, I'm going lineman all day. Since there really isn't a top end O-lineman, I'll take a potentially dominating nose. Shelton, with NFL caliber training and coaching can potentially be a force of nature inside.

Definitely an impressive athlete.  I love how he has monster size but can still jump around like a little kid out there.

Obviously would like to trade down if Williams is not there, but to answer the question I would take Shelton. Looking at Scotty Mac's past I don't think he will take a WR in the first, I personally like Beasley but reports say Mac doesn't put too much into how players work out in shorts. Also judging by this off season he feels that the DL is important, Shelton has exceptional talent, football IQ and the right attitude. So if Williams is gone,my top 3 choices would be: Shelton,Fowler,Scherff

MClCloughan drafted Mike Crabtree tenth overall in 2009, so him picking Cooper is in the realm if possibility.

Honestly no one knows what SM is thinking. Hes been so vague and noncommittal we won't until the draft. And even after his first pick we might be in for a couple suprises?

Obviously would like to trade down if Williams is not there, but to answer the question I would take Shelton. Looking at Scotty Mac's past I don't think he will take a WR in the first, I personally like Beasley but reports say Mac doesn't put too much into how players work out in shorts. Also judging by this off season he feels that the DL is important, Shelton has exceptional talent, football IQ and the right attitude. So if Williams is gone,my top 3 choices would be: Shelton,Fowler,Scherff

I could see that if Beasley were a one year wonder or a pure "upside" guy who may just be a workout warrior. But his production and game film speak for themselves. His crazy combine numbers just confirmed what the tape shows as far as explosion and athleticism. 

I voted for Beasley. If you are going to pay a premium for a position (draft that high) it better be a stud pro bowl level left tackle, a QB, or a pass rusher. In this case the pass rusher is BPA I like Vic just a little better than Fowler. But I would be happy with either.

I will say beasley looked a whole lot more impressive than Bruce irvin, though the two are compared. Irvin probably didn't deserve to be a first rounder though.

I'd say in talent when coming out of college Beasley is in between Von Miller and Bruce Irvin. Maybe a bit closer to Miller. Not quite as good but he has the best first step I've seen since Miller came out.

I'd say in talent when coming out of college Beasley is in between Von Miller and Bruce Irvin. Maybe a bit closer to Miller. Not quite as good but he has the best first step I've seen since Miller came out.

And thing is people have talked about speed to power, but if he did, in fact, play at 220 like people say, of course he wasn't converting speed to power. At 246 I'm sure he could do it. You don't do 35 reps and somehow lack power. I wish he had been at the senior bowl though.

And thing is people have talked about speed to power, but if he did, in fact, play at 220 like people say, of course he wasn't converting speed to power. At 246 I'm sure he could do it. You don't do 35 reps and somehow lack power. I wish he had been at the senior bowl though.

His vertical and broad jump also give an indication of his leg and lower body strength along with explosion which factors into the "speed to power" thing.

I voted Fowler just because of his age and he seems to be the more well rounded olb. To be honest I wouldn't mind Beasley because of his explosiveness. His first step is amazing.

I can certainly see the draw of a well rounded guy. But at #5 overall I'm looking for an elite edge rusher, not a "well rounded" overall guy; that's what NFL teams and GMs value as a premium...pass rushing...and for good reason given how pass happy the NFL is nowadays. Setting the edge and being stout against the run is great but to be honest you can find quality guys who can do that later in the draft. 

I can certainly see the draw of a well rounded guy. But at #5 overall I'm looking for an elite edge rusher, not a "well rounded" overall guy; that's what NFL teams and GMs value as a premium...pass rushing...and for good reason given how pass happy the NFL is nowadays. Setting the edge and being stout against the run is great but to be honest you can find quality guys who can do that later in the draft. 

I hear you. Just don't see one outside of Beasley or maybe Gregory. TBH I only see two players that deserve a pick in the top five. The rest are hard working well rounded guys, atleast you know you have a good player, or boom-or-bust guys.

It was between Cooper and Beasley for me... replying a few days later after choosing(Cooper) in the poll...I think Beasley is the more elite level game changer day one and we need a shot of that. Fowler seems all around good, rock solid, but not elite or game changing.  I can't wait for this draft..I think we come away with a great player no matter what.

I'm glad it's not my job...have faith in Scott in draft talent evaluation. Httr!

I picked Cooper, but have faith in GM Scott. If it were up to me, without trade down, I would go;

1. Stud WR

2. Best OL, regardless of position

3. Best pass rushing OLB

I am happy with Murph, but thought he was supposed to be Rak's replacement, not this year's first pick.

We are in a great position at 5, there is going to be

a top range QB, DE or OLB or WR available at our

pick and teams that need one of those positions will

offer the Skins a couple of extra picks to move up to

our spot. If no trade I trust in whatever way Mac

decides to go.

HTTR

I picked Fowler, wouldn't mind Beasley. Scherff a bit of a reach I would like to trade down for. I am STUNNED at anyone who wants a WR at 5. Just take a look at NFL draft history. Will we get a good WR? Yes. Does it equal playoff wins? Let's see. Calvin Johnson, AJ Green, Julio Jones. All good WRs taken around 5. And how is that translated to playoff wins exactly? How about all those high round draft picks on WRs that Seattle and New England used? Do you want a good WR? Or do you want a Redskins SB?

It's been fun reading debate about selecting elite draft prospects for a change. It's been a long time since we've been able to take a player at the top of most draft boards.

I voted for Cooper because I thought he was the safe pick at #5. We can't miss with the #5 pick. However, I've been going back-and-forth with several players at the top of my "draft board". I liked Fowler over Beasley but I am certainly warming up to Beasley. I think he is the best pure edge rusher, a skill our defense could certainly use opposite Kerrigan.

I'm confident SM has a good plan in place and will make a good choice. If we get Williams, Fowler, Beasley, Cooper, White, or Dupree at #5 I will be very satisfied. If we can trade down and get an extra pick(s) AND get one of these players I will be thrilled. There is good value at OL at picks 15-32 and in the 2nd round.

It's been fun reading debate about selecting elite draft prospects for a change. It's been a long time since we've been able to take a player at the top of most draft boards.

I voted for Cooper because I thought he was the safe pick at #5. We can't miss with the #5 pick. However, I've been going back-and-forth with several players at the top of my "draft board". I liked Fowler over Beasley but I am certainly warming up to Beasley. I think he is the best pure edge rusher, a skill our defense could certainly use opposite Kerrigan.

I'm confident SM has a good plan in place and will make a good choice. If we get Williams, Fowler, Beasley, Cooper, White, or Dupree at #5 I will be very satisfied. If we can trade down and get an extra pick(s) AND get one of these players I will be thrilled. There is good value at OL at picks 15-32 and in the 2nd round.

Dupree at 5 is a huuuuuuuge reach. I like the kid but he isn't anywhere near a top 5 pick IMO. My guess is he will go in the teens, though he has been mocked up to 10...still think it is a reach.

I change my mind.  I don't really want Cooper and I probably never really did deep down in my heart.  Right or wrong, I want Scherff, even at #5.  He could be a big, bad, dominating left or right G for the next 10-12 years.  I don't care that you don't traditionally pick guards that high.  Traditions, like rules, can sometimes be broken.  I'm not convinced that anyone other than Williams is a better choice.

I change my mind.  I don't really want Cooper and I probably never really did deep down in my heart.  Right or wrong, I want Scherff, even at #5.  He could be a big, bad, dominating left or right G for the next 10-12 years.  I don't care that you don't traditionally pick guards that high.  Traditions, like rules, can sometimes be broken.  I'm not convinced that anyone other than Williams is a better choice.

You'd still want him at #5 overall even though most of the top Guards in the NFL were chosen in rounds 2-4?

Archived