Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Which Player Woud You Select at #5?

Mania

Which Player would you take at number 5?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. If we had to draft a player at number 5 and Williams and a trade down were not an option, who would you select?

This poll is closed to new votes

Dupree at 5 is a huuuuuuuge reach. I like the kid but he isn't anywhere near a top 5 pick IMO. My guess is he will go in the teens, though he has been mocked up to 10...still think it is a reach.

I think 2-3 years from now he might be the most well-rounded, three down 34OLB of the draft class. He is raw and will need to develop but his size and athleticism make him elite IMO. By many accounts, SM likes size and speed.

I will not be upset if he is the selection at #5. Trade down, get extra pick(s), and still get Dupree and I will be very happy.

I could see taking a guard top 5 if he was projected to be some rare talent. I think Sherff is just projected to be a good guard.

I could see it if the guy was universally heralded as a generational talent. But Scherff isn't even an elite talent, let alone generational. He is a good prospect but picking him at #5 overall to play Guard is, to me, pure lunacy.

In that scenario I'd probably take whichever of Cooper/White is better after the catch, since we haven't had a decent screen passing game in a long time.  I know Garcons great after the catch but why not add an elite option on the other side, really mollycoddle Griffin with short passes until he hopefully gets his groove back.  A strong short passing game will immensely help with the 'get rid of the ball' and general protection issues.

You'd still want him at #5 overall even though most of the top Guards in the NFL were chosen in rounds 2-4?

That can be true for almost all positions in the NFL. You can find value at every lesser rounds for every positions. Heck, there was 5 QBs taken before Marino, Montana was a third round draftee, Brady was a 6th round and Romo went undrafted lol. Still, teams are fighting for early spots to grab the next gen QB and ends up picking Ryan Leaf or Heath Shuler...

List is long of prospect that went past round 1 & 2 and turned into NFL studs... There's value to get everywhere, even edge rusher in the lesser rounds.

That can be true for almost all positions in the NFL. You can find value at every lesser rounds for every positions. Heck, there was 5 QBs taken before Marino, Montana was a third round draftee, Brady was a 6th round and romoSUCKS went undrafted lol. Still, teams are fighting for early spots to grab the next gen QB and ends up picking Ryan Leaf or Heath Shuler...

List is long of prospect that went past round 1 & 2 and turned into NFL studs... There's value to get everywhere, even edge rusher in the lesser rounds.

But obviously NFL GMs and coaches agree that Guard is a position you generally fill after the first round, judging by history. An elite talent at Guard will go in the first, but its incredibly rare that a Guard will be chosen top 10, let alone top 5. Last time it happened was 14 years ago when Arizona took Leonard Williams #2 overall. And he didn't do much for them as a team. Good player but not elite.

Probably going to change in the next few days, but I would go:

1.) Williams

2.) Cooper

3.) Gurley*

4.) White

5.) Beasley

6.) Ray

7.) Scherff

8.) Fowler

9.) Shelton

The asterisk on Gurley is a medical red flag that would say "Don't draft in the top 15."

So I guess for the purposes of drafting at #5, he wouldn't be on my board.

I just don't have much of a read on Fowler.  Probably have him too low but I haven't seen what makes everyone love him so much.  He's the one I have the most uncertainty with out of any of the top prospects.  

You'd still want him at #5 overall even though most of the top Guards in the NFL were chosen in rounds 2-4?

I am not a scout and I haven't spent multiple hours a day watching film of the top college players.  It's simply a desire based on what little I have seen and heard.  Scherff looks as impressive as anyone I've seen.  Also, most mocks have him going in the top 10.  IMO, there doesn't appear to be a wide gap in talent between picks 5-10.

I admit that watching Dallas' o-line dominate last year probably skews my perspective.  Also, watching the Hogs dominate while winning three Super Bowls with three different mostly average QBs probably also contributes to my desire to draft Scherff.  Everything starts with a great offensive line and it's time for the front office to get started on building one for the first time in two decades.

Ultimately, I don't see a bunch of dominant football players at the top of this year's draft.  They all (except Williams) have question marks.  On the other hand, I could definitely be speaking more with my heart than my head.  But it would not surprise me in the least if Scott drafted Scherff at #5 if he can't trade down.

Probably going to change in the next few days, but I would go:

1.) Williams

2.) Cooper

3.) Gurley*

4.) White

5.) Beasley

6.) Ray

7.) Scherff

8.) Fowler

9.) Shelton

The asterisk on Gurley is a medical red flag that would say "Don't draft in the top 15."

So I guess for the purposes of drafting at #5, he wouldn't be on my board.

I just don't have much of a read on Fowler.  Probably have him too low but I haven't seen what makes everyone love him so much.  He's the one I have the most uncertainty with out of any of the top prospects.  

I think you've seriously got to put a flag against Ray down to injury concerns too. 

Great talent but turf toe man, on a DE who's main trait is having the fastest first step in the entire draft ..... that **** has a habit lingering for years. 

Hail. 

But obviously NFL GMs and coaches agree that Guard is a position you generally fill after the first round, judging by history. An elite talent at Guard will go in the first, but its incredibly rare that a Guard will be chosen top 10, let alone top 5. Last time it happened was 14 years ago when Arizona took Leonard Williams #2 overall. And he didn't do much for them as a team. Good player but not elite.

People do the same thing over and over, because they're used to. Doesn't mean it's the good way to go. Al Davis picked Ray Guy #6. He went to 6 straight PB following since his rookie year, won 3 superbowls. Al Davis was right, still everyone laughed at him for that.

Try to think outside the box and not go with rules that in fact doesn't exists. If a team or two start to have success by drafting guards higher than what they are used to right now, everyone will follow the trend and in a few years you'll have fans saying: "nah, you don't draft OLB that high, go guards, they're more important". RBs went the other way. A few guys in the later rounds have some success, a few high picks guys busts, and now, RBs are the afterthought of the draft. It's a competitive business, don't follow the trend, following will only get you to second place at best.

Not saying we should go Scherff, even if I wouldn't complain, I just don't want to hear that pseudo argument that "you don't draft X because he plays an underrated position". That's just bull****.

You know what I like in Scherff? He's nasty. Don't care if he's not good at pass protection. Williams wasn't when coming out of college, he was just a one year starter at LT, and most thought he would be better at RT than LT. I would love to see our left of our OL with Williams and Scherff and see them bring fear upon the opponents defensive line. And watch them get mauled by Scherff and Williams so Young can run through the LBs and AlMo feist on all of them all day long. I don't want good technical guys that look pretty, I want nasty big guys that scares the opponents and gain a yard or two even before the ball is snapped. And honestly, who do you think would give RG3 or whoever our QB is a late hit or two if he knows he's gonna get killed on the next play? Not much.

I have changed my picks.

1.  Williams

2.  Cooper

3.  Dupree

3.  Scherff

Since I see both QB's and Williams gone with the first three picks and every mock draft has Cooper gone at 4, I think the skins will go Dupree or Scherff. 

I don't see GMSM trading up and will pick whoever he rates highest on his draft board.

People do the same thing over and over, because they're used to. Doesn't mean it's the good way to go. Al Davis picked Ray Guy #6. He went to 6 straight PB following since his rookie year, won 3 superbowls. Al Davis was right, still everyone laughed at him for that.

Try to think outside the box and not go with rules that in fact doesn't exists. If a team or two start to have success by drafting guards higher than what they are used to right now, everyone will follow the trend and in a few years you'll have fans saying: "nah, you don't draft OLB that high, go guards, they're more important". RBs went the other way. A few guys in the later rounds have some success, a few high picks guys busts, and now, RBs are the afterthought of the draft. It's a competitive business, don't follow the trend, following will only get you to second place at best.

Not saying we should go Scherff, even if I wouldn't complain, I just don't want to hear that pseudo argument that "you don't draft X because he plays an underrated position". That's just bull****.

You know what I like in Scherff? He's nasty. Don't care if he's not good at pass protection. Williams wasn't when coming out of college, he was just a one year starter at LT, and most thought he would be better at RT than LT. I would love to see our left of our OL with Williams and Scherff and see them bring fear upon the opponents defensive line. And watch them get mauled by Scherff and Williams so Young can run through the LBs and AlMo feist on all of them all day long. I don't want good technical guys that look pretty, I want nasty big guys that scares the opponents and gain a yard or two even before the ball is snapped. And honestly, who do you think would give RG3 or whoever our QB is a late hit or two if he knows he's gonna get killed on the next play? Not much.

Ok, just so I'm clear...you're saying the facts that, for the last 20 years, teams have pick Guards in the top 10 maybe 3 or 4 times and most of the top Guards in the NFL were picked between the 2nd and 4th rounds isn't actually an indication that GMs and scouts know what they're doing and realize that you can get top notch Guards outside of the first and hence it is very very rarely necessary to spend a high 1st round pick on them...it is an indication that all these GMs and scouts are just lemmings who follow the herd.

Got it.

Side note:  Ray Guy was picked #23 overall.

Ok, just so I'm clear...you're saying the facts that, for the last 20 years, teams have pick Guards in the top 10 maybe 3 or 4 times and most of the top Guards in the NFL were picked between the 2nd and 4th rounds isn't actually an indication that GMs and scouts know what they're doing and realize that you can get top notch Guards outside of the first and hence it is very very rarely necessary to spend a high 1st round pick on them...it is an indication that all these GMs and scouts are just lemmings who follow the herd.

Got it.

Side note:  Ray Guy was picked #23 overall.

FYI - if no teams picked guards until the 5th round or later, then ever all-pro guard would be a late round pick.  Your argument is that no one picks guards early and the best guards aren't picked early, so it isn't smart to pick a guard early. 

Well I say - if you want the best guard in the draft, be the first to pick a guard in the draft.  We have made plenty of mid-round oline picks.  None, literally, none are starting on our team.  In my opinion, if we don't pick oline in one of the first 2 picks, we are fools and it will directly hurt our team.  But, if we wait until the 2nd round, we will be getting the 2nd, 3rd or maybe 4th best player at that oline position. 

If we trade back outside of the top 10, we will miss out on the top 2 online prospects.  We will still get a good prospect, but I sure like the idea of getting the best prospect at a specific position, instead of 2nd or or 3rd best.  Will this trade-back player be a starter?  Will he be a pro bowler?  That is what we need. 

If we draft Fowler or Beasley, they likely will only play on third downs this year and maybe even next year.  A pro bowl level guard would be much more valuable to our team and to our young QBs and to our Butler.  Alfred averaging 1 extra yard per carry and our QB getting 0.5 seconds more per drop back will win us a lot more games than 5-10 extra sacks on 3rd and long plays. 

Too many on here say, like it is a fact, Scot will pick the best player available.  I say BS.  Scot will pick the player that will best help the team.  With my rant coming to an end, I think the pre-draft interviews are showing that Scot will have trade partners if he wants them.  Meeting with Dupree was the latest sign of this.  So, I currently feel that we will draft Williams if he is available, or we will trade back with someone that wants either the top WR, the top OLB or the #2 QB.

No, my argument is that obviously GMs and scouts realize that top quality Guards can be found all over the draft with good scouting, and that it is very rarely necessary to pick one high in the 1st, if in the 1st at all. I think THAT is where we have been falling short for a long time. We have had terrible FO people making decisions on who to draft. I would have MUCH more confidence in a 2nd or 3rd round Guard taken by SM than one taken by Vinny or Shanny or Bruce. 

And being the first to pick a Guard in the draft doesn't mean you should reach and draft one at #5 overall or even in the top 10 unless the guy is pretty much a can't miss all world talent, which Scherff isn't. 

There's a whole generation of Redskins reading that going 'Desmond? WTF is Desmond?' Lol.

It was really painful to see him jammed at the line from day 1, and never afforded the cushions seemingly all other WRs get, at one time or another. Carlos would not have given his cushion.

At least other teams were smart enough to use him as a returner.... I am sure we didn't want to risk our future star to injury returning those dangerous punts.

You know, perhaps the reasons some fans always want that tall WR, is because of The Desmond Howard Experience. Almost an innate or self defense mechanism some of us have lived with for some time, but never had it properly diagnosed. #McCants #Mix #Marko etc.

If Williams or Cooper is their at 5 you take them.  If not I would take Scherff it may not be a popular or sexy pick. But, look at what the Cowboys did over last three years building up the O-Line with first round picks.  I am just not sold on fully sold on Dante Fowler to me he is more of a 4-3 OLB. But SM has several options at number 5 it will be interesting to see what he does.

He's good enough to play LT or RT, but they think he will shine at LG/RG, potentially a future pro-bowler at guard.  He's starting to move up in the rankings, granted I know that doesn't mean anything at the end of the day.  

But, I'd have no problem with selecting a stud guard (top o-lineman in the draft this year) at #5.  Considering if needed, could move to tackle if injury occurred.  They are saying he could be a top 10 pick.  

Lets not forget, he was the best college football lineman this past season.  

Archived