Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Some More Cops Who Need to Be Fired

Dan T.

On 5/11/2018 at 12:47 PM, Zguy28 said:

I guess this is kind of the opposite of what this thread is about, but in this case, it looks like the cop was in the right. Full unedited bodycam released in response to claims of racism and being threatened by the police.

There needs to be some sort of recourse available to the officers involved to lock these folks up for attempting to slander these officers. 

Lock them up for a few months. 

I saw a body cam video a few hours ago that disproved the allegations of rape and solicitation. Somewhere outside of Dallas. 

Disgusting what folks will try to claim. Her attorney apologized about it. 

Edited by Kosher Ham
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

You know, I had a little bit of sympathy for this girl until she tried to use her race to get out of the situation. Now? Thoughts and prayers, ****. Thoughts and prayers. 

Check out @HouseofTalentPa’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/HouseofTalentPa/status/1001126778289688577?s=09

• Like 1

I was just coming in here to tell you that it doesn't matter if shes white we should stand up for her cause the shot they did to her as far as I can see was wrong regardless. That we dont ter anywhere with that kind of ****. 

But then I clicked on that last link. Duck that ****. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Kosher Ham said:

Can we stop saying white privilege?  That's a step in equality. 

Under consideration (like my leaning towards wanting to get rid of affirmative action), but my understanding of the definition is "Stuff white people don't need to worry about because they are white".  We can get there, but not when stuff like unarmed black people are 5X as likely to be killed by police as white people is going on. 

There are stories of non-minorities getting the same tail end of police brutality as we do and that shouldn't be ignored. The conversation needs to be both that its disproportionate and that is shouldn't be happening in the first place, not one or the other.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kosher Ham said:

Can we stop saying white privilege?  That's a step in equality. 

White privilege is thinking the term white privilege is inequality 

Edited by Llevron
  • Like 1

It may have been pointed out but those little love taps when a person is resisting arrest are part of the training. They are a diversionary tactic, designed to get the person to stop fighting and expose their arms so that they can be cuffed. That guy could have put real damage on her if he wanted to. That was nothing.

49 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

Then you can't ask white people to help. Why should they bother? 

Not sure I understand why you're drawing that kinda line.  White people shouldn't help other minority groups with racial equality issues unless they proclaim that there aren't any?  I think you posted that out of frustration over having that term thrown in your face, which is understandable, but your ultimatum isn't going to work, and you should know that.

i think the problem (one problem) with white privilege is that is generalizes- or, at least, the implication is that is generalizes- about an entire group (which is generally a bad idea). peoples individual life experiences are very different, and it seems to paint with the broadest of brushes, even if one accepts that it is true. (personally, in my life experience, i see class privilege quite a bit).

but there should be discussion about where this seems to be a thing, specifically. the job application study seemed like a good one, where people with 'black' sounding names got fewer call backs that 'white' sounding names. but then you juxtapose that with the trolley experiment where white people  would save the person with the black sounding name over some guy named 'chip', or sacrifice 'chip' to save a group of 'tyrones'.  interesting stuff. 

(and there are times when its not so good to be white. my kid is checking off 'native american' when it comes to school applications, for example)

• Like 3

As a white dude myself, every time fellow white people get irked at the term "white privilege" it makes me think they either don't completely understand what it means, or just refuse to acknowledge it exists and/or refuse to try and understand it and instead want to plug their ears and say "my life wasn't easy"

Does it generalize? Of course it does, because that is the point. For example, I am sure not every single cop has treated every single African American they encounter with automatic suspicion, but we still generalize when it comes to the way "African Americans are treated by police" and for good reason. 

Sometimes generalizations are appropriate. 

Well now I want to share when someone said white privilege to me and get your all's thoughts.

I was at work in an office type environment.  I am a Navy Chief (E-7) white male.  A junior Sailor (black male Navy E-6) saw my watch.  I was wearing a Tag Heuer (about $1500, I'm a bit of a watch snob) and he said "nice watch, Chief."  I said thank you.  He said dead serious "that's white privilege right there."  I asked if he was serious and he said "Hell yea.  You don't see me being able to spend money on stuff like that."

I was shocked.  I just walked away.  I went and said something to a friend of mine (Senior Chief E-8 black female) who is also the CMEO. Told her I didn't think that was appropriate to say but wanted her opinion.  She said yea that was way out of line and she would talk to him.  I told her I didn't want him in trouble and I was trying g to file a claim.

So was I just blind to my white privilege or was he wrong ?

10 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Based on the info you have provided I would say he applied the term in an incorrect way. 

Unless he was trying to make an overall statement about how minorities don't get promoted in the Navy due to the color of their skin,(which I am not personally saying is true, just trying to imagine the reason he made the statement) but it sounds more like he was making a throwaway statement based on you having a higher salary, which should be expected regardless of race due to your rank.

Edited by NoCalMike

7 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Well now I want to share when someone said white privilege to me and get your all's thoughts.

I was at work in an office type environment.  I am a Navy Chief (E-7) white male.  A junior Sailor (black male Navy E-6) saw my watch.  I was wearing a Tag Heuer (about $1500, I'm a bit of a watch snob) and he said "nice watch, Chief."  I said thank you.  He said dead serious "that's white privilege right there."  I asked if he was serious and he said "Hell yea.  You don't see me being able to spend money on stuff like that."

I was shocked.  I just walked away.  I went and said something to a friend of mine (Senior Chief E-8 black female) who is also the CMEO. Told her I didn't think that was appropriate to say but wanted her opinion.  She said yea that was way out of line and she would talk to him.  I told her I didn't want him in trouble and I was trying g to file a claim.

White Privilege refers to treatment within the scope of law enforcement and the criminal justice system.  And you are well aware of that.

9 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I don't think he was using the phrase right. (though I'm not really a fan of it anyway, because it's kind of confusing.)  It would be more appropriate to use it in a situation where you both got arrested, but you were treated differently.  Or if a white person commented on something affecting black people in a dismissive way.  

38 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

White Privilege refers to treatment within the scope of law enforcement and the criminal justice system.  And you are well aware of that.

Actually I didn't know that.  I thought it was a general term that meant white people have it easier in life.  I ask questions to broaden my knowledge.

Thank you to everyone else for your responses.

48 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

It is by no means limited to law enforcement and the the criminal justice system where the heck did you get that idea? Cultural conditioning influences the way people interact with each other and white privilege is a form of cultural conditioning.  

Edited by nonniey

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Actually I didn't know that.  I thought it was a general term that meant white people have it easier in life.  I ask questions to broaden my knowledge.

1 hour ago, nonniey said:

It is by no means limited to law enforcement and the the criminal justice system where the heck did you get that idea? Cultural conditioning influences the way people interact with each other and white privilege is a form of cultural conditioning.  

Looks at thread title.

Ok then, White Privilege refers to disparity in society’s institutional benefits.  And that would certainly include banking/lending.  Sooooo, the watch comment sorta/coulda been appropriate in the context of buying the watch on a loan or payment plan.

I stand corrected.

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

You were correct with your first thinking. It is a form of cultural conditioning. 

18 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Looks at thread title.

Ok then, White Privilege refers to disparity in society’s institutional benefits.  And that would certainly include banking/lending.  Sooooo, the watch comment sorta/coulda been appropriate in the context of buying the watch on a loan or payment plan.

I stand corrected.

I know it wasn't the best thread but the topic was being discussed and I didn't think it was worthy of a separate thread.  My apologies.

I'm curious if you think (before this discussion) white privalige refers to police interaction/criminal justice or as a more general thought that white people have it easier in most aspects of life.  I only ask because I wonder if the term has a widely varying definition based on who you are talking to or if it was just a miscommunication here.  I feel like that is an important point for future conversations.

And I paid cash for the watch, not that he bothered to ask.