Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Some More Cops Who Need to Be Fired

Dan T.

Baltimore police officers 'carried BB guns to plant on unarmed suspects they shot', court hears

US police officers carried BB guns to plant on unarmed suspects after they shot them, a corruption trial has heard.

Members of Baltimore Police Department’s Gun Trace Task Force, an elite squad with responsibility for taking illegal firearms off the city’s streets, kept replica weapons in their cars in case they “accidentally hit somebody,” a former detective told a court.

Maurice Ward, who served with the unit, made the claim as he gave evidence during the trial of two colleagues accused of crimes including robbery, extortion, drug-dealing and faking evidence.

As Ta-Nahesi Coates said, Baltimore PD corruption isn't the system failing. It's the system working.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

'Unacceptable': Man's body found at Memphis police impound lot more than a month after shooting

In an embarrassing incident that's led to an internal investigation, Memphis police confirmed the discovery of a man's body in a van that had been taken to the department's impound lot after a shooting.

It is not known why police did not find the victim's body in the rear of the van until Monday, more than a month after the shooting during an attempted robbery. In a news conference Tuesday, MPD Director Michael Rallings said it's a serious situation that's made him upset.

"This incident is unacceptable and should never have happened," Rallings said. 

Click on the link for the full article

52 minutes ago, China said:

'Unacceptable': Man's body found at Memphis police impound lot more than a month after shooting

In an embarrassing incident that's led to an internal investigation, Memphis police confirmed the discovery of a man's body in a van that had been taken to the department's impound lot after a shooting.

It is not known why police did not find the victim's body in the rear of the van until Monday, more than a month after the shooting during an attempted robbery. In a news conference Tuesday, MPD Director Michael Rallings said it's a serious situation that's made him upset.

"This incident is unacceptable and should never have happened," Rallings said. 

Investigation sounds so formal and complicated, but what we're talking about here is just asking who was supposed to check the van and who was working that night.  Shouldn't take longer than an afternoon to crack this case wide open.  lol

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Destino said:

Investigation sounds so formal and complicated, but what we're talking about here is just asking who was supposed to check the van and who was working that night.  Shouldn't take longer than an afternoon to crack this case wide open.  lol

Takes time to cover it up though 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Takes time to cover it up though 

All depends on where the dead guy was shot.  If he took one in the head, no one died because of this mistake.  It's an administrative error, someone forgot to check the van and none of the people involved mentioned that anyone was in the van.  Stuff happens.  If the guy in the van slowly bled out, then you've got to build a story on how really it's no ones fault.  Maybe float the idea that it was unsafe to check the van, could have been booby trapped, and maybe dig up some dirt on the dead guy so the public can be made to think he deserved his fate. 

Imagine being that guy who paid the impound fee (which is never just a few bucks) only to open the door and be greeted by a month of canned up dead body smell.  I bet that was memorable.  

• Like 1

Sheriff's deputy fired after arrest for robbing a North Carolina bank

ROCKWELL, N.C. -- A Davidson County Sheriff's Deputy has been fired after allegedly robbing a bank in Rowan County on Tuesday, according to Davidson County Sheriff David Grice. 

Sheriff Grice fired Deputy Jeff Athey as soon as he learned of his arrest.

"They know that they're not going to be employed with me if they violate the law," Sheriff Grice said in a phone interview.  "They know what the law is.  He knew what the law was."

Man Shot to Death After Tennessee Sheriff Caught on Tape Telling Deputies to Open Fire... Didn't Want His Squad Cars Messed Up in Low Speed "Chase"

Sheriff's comments on-scene, after the man was shot to death, caught on tape:

-"I love this ****. God, I tell you what, I thrive on it.”

-“They said ‘we’re ramming him. I said, ‘Don’t ram him, shoot him.’ **** that ****. Ain’t gonna tear up my cars.”

-“If they don’t think I’ll give the damn order to kill that mother****er they’re full of ****.”

Edited by Dan T.
  • Sad 4

The DA stood by his decision but admittedly hadn't heard this audio at the time he rubber stamped... 'er conducted his investigation. This is sickening. I hope his wife gets enough $$ to break that county. Criminal charges ain't happening though, unless this blows up into a national story. Then, they'll charge/try him and find him completely innocent. Wash, rinse, repeat. 

Edited by The Sisko
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, The Sisko said:

The DA stood by his decision but admittedly hadn't heard this audio at the time he rubber stamped... 'er conducted his investigation. This is sickening. I hope his wife gets enough $$ to break that county. Criminal charges ain't happening though, unless this blows up into a national story. Then, they'll charge/try him and find him completely innocent. Wash, rinse, repeat. 

It's gonna be the same ****. 

On 2/6/2018 at 12:09 AM, The Sisko said:

They’re gubment employees. Therefore, according to the Republic party, they’re worthless bums stealing a paycheck. Oh wait, I forgot. The heroes in blue are the only exception...even down to the anti union thing. All unions are bad...except for the police unions. ??

How many of the 95% knew this ?? was going on and said nothing? Sorry, but that part of the 95% are as much thugs as the guys doing all the dirt. For us civilians, not reporting a crime can make you an accomplice. If you’re a cop, it puts you in the clear as “one of the good ones.”

its a higher burdon to put on people to not only "be good --- don't be bad"  but also "turn in your colleagues that are bad" 

I'd hope that more would do so, of course.

i also think the hyper-polarization that was already kinda there, but has gone into full swing, on the "support your police" front has made things worse , not better, in the "police yourselves and turn in your colleague that are dirty" front.    at least in the short run .    (when people are feeling attacked, ANY people, they will get a circle the wagon mentality, and will be more willing to support others "that are getting attacked like i am" --- even people that don't deserve their support)   

We gotta find a way to keep up the pressure for reform, while continuing to recognize that the individuals are just that, individuals, and they are doing a job that is vital to be continued, it has to be done well.   we can't just rip it down and try something else.    

On 2/5/2018 at 3:52 PM, Destino said:

Am I the only person that isn't surprised by any of this?  People placed in poorly designed systems are more likely to behave badly.  If no one checks if any employees arrive on time, more employees will be late.  If Wall Street is allowed to regulate and police themselves, more Wall Street companies find ways to game the system.  If police are allowed to investigate themselves, more police officers will break the law and get away with it.  That's just how humans work.

THIS is the right lesson in this situation.   Make the rules better, make the system better.   people respond to the stimuli and environments they operate in.   Good people, bad people, and neutral people.   

Edited by mcsluggo

On 2/9/2018 at 11:51 AM, mcsluggo said:

its a higher burdon to put on people to not only "be good --- don't be bad"  but also "turn in your colleagues that are bad" 

i also think the hyper-polarization that was already kinda there, but has gone into full swing, on the "support your police" front has made things worse , not better, in the "police yourselves and turn in your colleague that are dirty" front.    at least in the short run .    (when people are feeling attacked, ANY people, they will get a circle the wagon mentality, and will be more willing to support others "that are getting attacked like i am" --- even people that don't deserve their support) 

With all due respect, this is nonsense. At the very least it's a double standard. If I accept this, then those who criticize the anti-snitch mentality among many in the community have zero credibility. I once turned in a nurse I worked with for being an addict. We all knew she was using but nobody would step up to do anything about it so I did. As with the police, this isn't trivial stuff. We're talking about people's lives. If you can keep silent while colleagues trample on people's constitutional rights, brutalize and kill them even, you're filth and I want nothing to do with you. I have more respect for ordinary criminals. At the very least, they don't pretend to be something they're not and they certainly don't get to hide behind false virtue to avoid punishment. Now maybe I'm hyper polarized. However I'd argue this is a legitimate reason to be so. 

THIS is the right lesson in this situation.   Make the rules better, make the system better.   people respond to the stimuli and environments they operate in.   Good people, bad people, and neutral people.   

I never said anything about ripping everything down. I think a few tweaks like gutting police unions and removing the fox from the henhouse of investigating/prosecuting LE is enough. I'm not a lawyer so I don't know how that might be accomplished legally, but I'm certain there's a way to do it.

Edited by The Sisko

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/12/us/milwaukee-inmate-dehydration-death-charges/index.html

Three jail officials were charged Monday in the case of a Milwaukee inmate who died of dehydration in his cell after being denied water for seven days.

Former jail administrator Maj. Nancy Evans faces one charge of felony misconduct and one misdemeanor charge of obstruction. She is accused of covering up key portions of surveillance video of Terrill Thomas' jail cell.

Thomas, 38, died in April 2016 after water was shut off to his cell. According to the criminal complaint, Evans did not take steps to preserve footage that showed the water being shut off. The complaint also alleges she did not tell investigators about the existence of the footage when asked during an investigation.

Lt. Kashka Meadors and corrections officer James Ramsey-Guy each face one count of felony neglect in Thomas' death. 

I ran across a quote while rereading Altered Carbon recently that fits perfectly:  "The human eye is a wonderful device.  With a little effort, it can fail to see even the most glaring injustice."  So let's all put in a little effort and pretend neglect and misconduct appropriately describes what is essentially execution via immurement.

On 2/6/2018 at 10:28 PM, The Sisko said:

As Ta-Nahesi Coates said, Baltimore PD corruption isn't the system failing. It's the system working.

Follow-up:

Baltimore detectives convicted in corruption trial with shocking details

BALTIMORE – Two Baltimore detectives were convicted Monday of fraud, robbery and racketeering in a trial that laid bare shocking crimes committed by an elite police unit and surfaced new allegations of widespread corruption in the city’s police department.

Daniel Hersl, 47, and Marcus Taylor, 30, join six colleagues from the Gun Trace Task Force who already had pleaded guilty. But the guilty verdicts offer small comfort for a city where homicides keep rising and guns violence rocks neighborhoods even as the police department struggles to overcome accounts of bias and lawbreaking.

The head of internal affairs has been transferred and a deputy commissioner has retired after both were implicated in misconduct during trial testimony. Thousands of convictions in cases handled by the task force are now being questioned by defense attorneys.

“This trial took you inside the Baltimore Police Department,” Assistant U.S. Attorney Leo Wise told jurors last week. “It showed you things more horrible in some cases than you ever could have imagined.”

I absolutely refuse to lower myself to participating in the rest of Tailgate anymore but I had to share a story. (I should remind everyone I've been skeptical of POH-leece for a long time but also know it is a ****ty position to be in and there are plenty of national headlines where it was a good shoot.  That said, I never bought the "only a tiny minority" excuse.

I was talking to an officer, this is a person who I believe in any other context, to be at the far end of benevolent, good-natured, honorable.  When I mentioned the case where the officer basically murdered the dude at that party (on video), or other cases, they retreated to the "I can't know what was in his mind" "I can't judge that he meant to do this or what his state of mind was, or if he had been trained properly."  So here we have a case of someone who immediately closes ranks. I've never done that with anything, even the Redskins or my family.   I just got more of that "well, there are bad people in every profession" but in most other professions, people don't get to threaten you with false imprisonment, taser, beating, shooting and walking away scot-free.  Most cases of other people abusing authority (outside of domestic situations) is money, maybe frustrating, hindering other life goals but not just shooting you in the head and walking away from it.  I made the point that people are warned about those who go into work with children (not entirely fair, but a valid point) to get access, so why wouldn't people who enjoy power and are susceptible to abuse of power also seek out such work (We call them politicians and poh-leece)?

If an otherwise decent officer can't just isolate a case and say "yeah, that sounds bad" (not even, oh, I'm definitely for hanging him just on your word) then what hope do we have to reform the system?  I also mentioned how Iraq/Afghanistan veterans have criticized policing, and they said they didn't care.  I was stunned at how personally they took it, but also how they sounded like an internet bootlicker stereotype rather than the thoughtful person I believed them to be.

I mean, even if the US has plenty of guns, there is a reason we have so many shootings that isn't just "oh, that unarmed guy was doing suicide by cop." I mean cops tackle people all the time.  Why can't they tackle, restrain someone who appears to be barely moving?

• Like 3

We gotta find a way to keep up the pressure for reform, while continuing to recognize that the individuals are just that, individuals, and they are doing a job that is vital to be continued, it has to be done well.   we can't just rip it down and try something else.    

I agree with this but I don't think it's possible to move in the right direction without identifying the problem.  There seems to be a great deal of resistance on that last bit.  In the current political climate many hold fast to the belief that police are being unfairly criticized and concede only that there might be a few bad apples.  I agree with you, it doesn't need to be torn down, but the reforms needed aren't insignificant and will be wildly unpopular among law enforcement.  That can't happen until the country comes to terms with idea that there is a problem. 

We gotta find a way to keep up the pressure for reform, while continuing to recognize that the individuals are just that, individuals, and they are doing a job that is vital to be continued, it has to be done well.   we can't just rip it down and try something else.    

I'm glad I'm not a cop. Blowing the whistle on corruption can get you killed by the "bad ones." Especially since you don't know if the person you are reporting to could be part of it.

I remember years ago working in a factory where an employee was literally walking out with goods when the two managers were out on a trip. Nobody would say anything, except for me. I reported it. Most employees didn't care, some called me a rat, and the guy got fired and threatened me with violence.

19 hours ago, Destino said:

I agree with this but I don't think it's possible to move in the right direction without identifying the problem.  There seems to be a great deal of resistance on that last bit.  In the current political climate many hold fast to the belief that police are being unfairly criticized and concede only that there might be a few bad apples.  I agree with you, it doesn't need to be torn down, but the reforms needed aren't insignificant and will be wildly unpopular among law enforcement.  That can't happen until the country comes to terms with idea that there is a problem. 

You hear stories of police driving a drunk home instead of pulling them for 10,000 dollars in fines and legal costs for blowing just over the limit.  You still hear of people tackling and restraining individuals instead of shooting them.  That case in NM or Arizona broke my heart.  They had every ability to just jump on the dude if they thought he was a threat.  

And here's the big thing: You can criticize a large chunk of police as corrupt and a smaller subset as killers and also acknowledge that people have concocted cases to delegitimize the institution entirely (for reasons I won't get into) within a city or across the country.  When a sheriff of some **** county (no offense to anyone there) says he wants to shoot someone so they don't mess up squad cars, and generally acts like he's a commander in a war against people he's trying to kill---there's a systemic ****ing problem.  TWO things can be true at concurrently.  Neither one undercuts the validity of the other.

Edited by Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin
  • Like 3

On 2/13/2018 at 2:15 PM, Destino said:

When the police rape people at a higher rate than the general public, receive less time than other criminals in the unlikely event they’re caught/charged, and are infiltrated by white supremacist groups and the country doesn’t give a damn, we have a problem. And keep in mind that doesn’t include all the questionable shootings that unlike the other stuff, is actually related to their job. Again, as with the opioid thing, these things will only be miraculously seen as a problem when white people are affected to the degree others are.

And before anyone brings up the tired “But most of this stuff actually affects whites” stuff, it’s been discussed and debunked as nauseum already so just review the earlier pages in this thread instead. 

On 2/13/2018 at 5:07 PM, Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin said:

You hear stories of police driving a drunk home instead of pulling them for 10,000 dollars in fines and legal costs for blowing just over the limit.  You still hear of people tackling and restraining individuals instead of shooting them.  That case in NM or Arizona broke my heart.  They had every ability to just jump on the dude if they thought he was a threat.  

And here's the big thing: You can criticize a large chunk of police as corrupt and a smaller subset as killers and also acknowledge that people have concocted cases to delegitimize the institution entirely (for reasons I won't get into) within a city or across the country.  When a sheriff of some **** county (no offense to anyone there) says he wants to shoot someone so they don't mess up squad cars, and generally acts like he's a commander in a war against people he's trying to kill---there's a systemic ****ing problem.  TWO things can be true at concurrently.  Neither one undercuts the validity of the other.

Regarding your first post, this is why I don’t associate personally with cops. It’s sort of like having a rapist as a friend and being all shocked when they aren’t horrified to hear of rapes being committed or a white supremacist using the n word, etc. It’s a fraternity as much as it is a job. That’s just how they roll. 

• Like 1

Sooo, during the school shooting, kids were running for their lives, teachers were doing human shield duty while heroic officer friendly waited it out like an ole punk ass. Nah, officer friendly ain’t bout dat life.

http://www.wtsp.com/mobile/article/news/school-resource-officer-at-fla-school-resigns-didnt-enter-building-during-shooting/67-522196647