Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Some More Cops Who Need to Be Fired

Dan T.

The "race" component is mostly blue-vs-everyone else.

We have ramped up this militarization of police in this country and the vast majority of people are ok with it, unless and until it impacts their lives directly, then they are just shunted off into the "loudmouth kook" category with, yanno, "those" people.

There is a lot to argue about vis-a-vis reasons, motives, blame, etc., but a large measure of it was fueled by urban white flight, diversity coming to insular suburbs and shortsighted Republicanesque policies (shared on both sides of the aisle) that there needed to be some way to keep people in their place, forcefully. "The Drug War", just that accepted name for it is telling, and don't think that the hypocisy isn't evident now that the opioid crisis impacts a lot of white zip codes that there isn't a war, they need help. Of course, ****ty cynical skeptic that I am, I ascribe a lot of that to the overt intent to take over the drug trade and divert all that cash from the hands of pot growers and cocaine cartels into the safely reliable hands of white corporate interests. If we have to sacrifice blue lives and their families the same way vets are thrown away once they're done protecting oil interests and the bottom line, well hell, that's just part of doing business.

But I've been in the loudmouth kook category for a long time, I'm comfortable with that.

• Thanks 4

9 minutes ago, youngchew said:

Yeah, same.  This is the worst police shooting video I've ever seen.  The guy was not breaking any laws before being engaged by police, and he did his best to follow their instructions.  And again, he was drunk as hell.  He begged the cops not to kill him.  :( 

Are there any links to interviews of the members of the jury? 

I'd love to get their perspective on this and try to figure out how the hell they found him not guilty. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Are there any links to interviews of the members of the jury? 

I'd love to get their perspective on this and try to figure out how the hell they found him not guilty. 

Cause juries can only think through the eyes of the officer at that split second he shoots. Ignore everything else. They seem to buy the cop thought his life was in danger bit like every time.

A good podcast about the Supreme Court case that got us here.

http://www.wnyc.org/story/mr-graham-and-reasonable-man

18 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

The "race" component is mostly blue-vs-everyone else.

We have ramped up this militarization of police in this country and the vast majority of people are ok with it, unless and until it impacts their lives directly, then they are just shunted off into the "loudmouth kook" category with, yanno, "those" people.

There is a lot to argue about vis-a-vis reasons, motives, blame, etc., but a large measure of it was fueled by urban white flight, diversity coming to insular suburbs and shortsighted Republicanesque policies (shared on both sides of the aisle) that there needed to be some way to keep people in their place, forcefully. "The Drug War", just that accepted name for it is telling, and don't think that the hypocisy isn't evident now that the opioid crisis impacts a lot of white zip codes that there isn't a war, they need help. Of course, ****ty cynical skeptic that I am, I ascribe a lot of that to the overt intent to take over the drug trade and divert all that cash from the hands of pot growers and cocaine cartels into the safely reliable hands of white corporate interests. If we have to sacrifice blue lives and their families the same way vets are thrown away once they're done protecting oil interests and the bottom line, well hell, that's just part of doing business.

But I've been in the loudmouth kook category for a long time, I'm comfortable with that.

If you are a marginalized person in this country, especially black, then there is nothing crazy about it. The craziness is how a lot of people are okay and just ignore these complaints. Zero empathy because they don't see us as humans.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

The media isn't looking for a racial angle.

The media doesn't care about police misconduct. Since 9/11, they told us the police are community heroes, etc.

The media only cares when you get in their face and tell them to care through civil disobedience. And thats only because they want to see riots.

you earlier post is exactly the point I made, lol

I see a distinction between the media having a political racial bias and media, the business, using political outrage to drive ratings and generate clicks.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

If you are a marginalized person in this country, especially black, then there is nothing crazy about it. The craziness is how a lot of people are okay and just ignore these complaints. Zero empathy because they don't see us as humans.

You're right, the crazy part is in just how complacent people are, how their eyes skip right past it in the news without the tiniest flicker of thought. No trace of compassion, never a thought to someone losing their child, never one iota of "What would happen to me in this situation"?

It's a disgrace.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, Gamebreaker said:

There is a comment under that article that I feel needs to be repeated:

"It seems police officers are well trained on how to keep themselves safe- at the expense of everything and everyone else. 

They too often forget that the people they're sworn to protect and serve are standing right in front of them."

I'm sorry, but if you are a police officer and you're so scared ****less of doing your job that you're escalating situations with your shrieking high pitched orders, or pointing a gun at an 11 year old girl. YOU ARE IN THE WRONG PROFESSION. Resign before you get an innocent person killed. 

I'm pretty "pro police" in my opinions and try to give the benefit of the doubt (though I do that with most situations involving most people).  That said, I think this quote is not said enough and is 100% accurate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

I don't necessarily see it as a race thing.

My point is that police misconduct doesn't matter to the media. They do not care.

what Des is saying is that there are topics that generate clicks. the internet is basically all click/ad revenue driven. police shooting unarmed black men gets people fired up (on both sides). thats why those stories are pushed to the front of the news feed. 

when you say 'the media', how do you define that? cnn, cbs, fox, abc, nbc, newspapers?

1 minute ago, grego said:

what Des is saying is that there are topics that generate clicks. the internet is basically all click/ad revenue driven. police shooting unarmed black men gets people fired up (on both sides). thats why those stories are pushed to the front of the news feed. 

when you say 'the media', how do you define that? cnn, cbs, fox, abc, nbc, newspapers?

And I am telling you that unarmed black men have been killed by the police for years.

It only became a story when people went out into the streets and the media saw the chance of a riot.

1 minute ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

And I am telling you that unarmed black men have been killed by the police for years.

It only became a story when people went out into the streets and the media saw the chance of a riot.

i dont disagree. not a bit. 

you said the media doesnt care. i am wondering how you are defining media.

3 minutes ago, grego said:

you said the media doesnt care. i am wondering how you are defining media.

The mainstream media does not care about police misconduct. Not against black people, latinx people, asian people, or white people. (remember that unarmed white woman that was killed by a black police officer in Minnesota over the summer? Good, neither does the media)

Its not clickbait because an extremely large portion of America doesnt care. And by most, I mean white supremacist and their enablers America which still make up a large portion of this country.

An 11 year old black girl was held at gunpoint and arrested by police because she apparently fit the description of a middle aged meth looking white woman.

image001.jpg?quality=85&strip=all&strip=all

http://fox17online.com/2017/12/12/residents-react-to-11-year-old-being-handcuffed-detained-by-grand-rapids-police/

http://fox17online.com/2017/12/11/grand-rapids-police-launch-internal-investigation-after-detaining-11-year-old/

Edited by BenningRoadSkin
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

The mainstream media does not care about police misconduct. Not against black people or white people. (remember that unarmed white woman that was killed by a black police officer in Minnesota over the summer? Good, neither does the media)

Its not clickbait because an extremely large portion of America doesnt care. And by most, I mean white supremacist and their enablers America which still make up a large portion of this country.

we agree that the media, in general, dont really care about police conduct. i think we probably agree that what they really care about, generally speaking, is making money. which is why they pick stories they know will get attention. 

i think we disagree that people don't care. but i think we are defining 'care' differently. people tend to have strong opinions about police shootings, both pro police, and anti police. white supremacists, i'm pretty sure, are interested in the topic too, even if they dont actually care about minorities. 

Citizens, please remember to shut off any instinctual reactions, that evolution has built into your brain over millions of years, to cover up or curl into a ball when getting mauled by a dog or beaten.  Otherwise police will have have to beat you some more and/or allow the dog to continue mauling you, all while helpfully shouting "stop resisting."  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Is there any backstory to that video?  Why the hell was the dog released onto a guy on his knees with his hands on his head like he was surrendering?  And WTF was with the "stop resisting" comments by the cops?   I swear if someone tells me a jury said "eh, nothing wrong"

http://www.rgj.com/story/news/2017/08/15/reno-man-mauled-police-dog-get-17-500-settlement/567207001/

A Reno man who was mauled by a police dog after surrendering during a police chase has settled his excessive force lawsuit against two Washoe County deputies for $17,500.

Eugenio Corona sued the two deputies in July, claiming they used excessive force and violated his civil rights by siccing a K-9 on him as he knelt on the pavement with his hands held on his head. 

With unusual swiftness, Washoe County offered to settle the case for $17,500 in an effort to control litigation costs. But Washoe County Sheriff's deputies Jason Wood and deputies Francisco Gamboa did not admit liability, nor did they admit Corona suffered any damages from the attack.

1 hour ago, Mooka said:

http://www.rgj.com/story/news/2017/08/15/reno-man-mauled-police-dog-get-17-500-settlement/567207001/

A Reno man who was mauled by a police dog after surrendering during a police chase has settled his excessive force lawsuit against two Washoe County deputies for $17,500.

Eugenio Corona sued the two deputies in July, claiming they used excessive force and violated his civil rights by siccing a K-9 on him as he knelt on the pavement with his hands held on his head. 

With unusual swiftness, Washoe County offered to settle the case for $17,500 in an effort to control litigation costs. But Washoe County Sheriff's deputies Jason Wood and deputies Francisco Gamboa did not admit liability, nor did they admit Corona suffered any damages from the attack.

After taxes and the lawyers fees, I wonder if that settlement would even cover a trip to the emergency room.  That's terrible.

Disgusting. How do you put your hands up with a 120lb dog attached to one of them?  Add to the fact that these dogs are so precise with commands, but the cop never gave him the command to release, when it was apparent they had the guy under control. Excessive force in that video. 

A humans natural reaction to pain (i.e. teeth ripping into your flesh) is to pull away or “resist” the pain. Asshole cop in that video.

• Like 3