Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things Sports Talk Radio - DMV (met)

Zguy28

9 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

So after Cooley being on vacation for 7 weeks, now Kevin is on vacation for a couple weeks before training camp.  

Cooley by himself is better than Kevin by himself.  Interestingly.

They had some pretty funny segments with Cooley this week. I actually kinda like Cooley by himself, he can be pretty entertaining. Sheehan is more knowledgable about other sports but is kind of boring in comparison.

Since I was already talking about my move to Norfolk in the cable thread, I have a question for this thread.  Is there a good Skins/NFL radio station in Norfolk?  Right now I have Sirius only for the NFL Radio channel but Im looking for places I can cut back.  Thanks.

In addition to basically checking out of here (not posting, occasionally reading) for the past few months I've stopped listening to local sports talk radio completely. I still like to come here, and I will always likely be a regular participant. Taking time off was good though. I don't miss the radio at all. 980 and 106.7 added nothing good to my life. I won't be going back.

• Like 1

When it's not football season, my interest is about a steady 0.3

980 needs to pepper some national shows in there, whether they like it or not. As it is, the topics do not change all day long,, just the a new set of voices saying the same things the last set of voices said.

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Bang said:

When it's not football season, my interest is about a steady 0.3

980 needs to pepper some national shows in there, whether they like it or not. As it is, the topics do not change all day long,, just the a new set of voices saying the same things the last set of voices said.

~Bang

The whole format is a mess. They should rotate the focus of shows based on what teams are in-season. They say that people aren't interested in Nats or Bullets or Caps talk as much. But it's also that nobody wants to hear Doc Walker talk about those things. Put Galdi on during the day. Not before 7am. Let him do chin music daily like 11-12 and have Bram do 12-2. I don't know what national show I'd want during the day now that SVP doesn't do it. I think I'd rather rotate in shows based on season. 

• Like 3

Sad to say it, but Doc is hard to listen when he's talking about anything anymore.  he's fun when he's spouting clichés talking about the game, and he does alright as a sideline guy.. but mostly i just can't. 

~Bang

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bang said:

Sad to say it, but Doc is hard to listen when he's talking about anything anymore.  he's fun when he's spouting clichés talking about the game, and he does alright as a sideline guy.. but mostly i just can't. 

~Bang

I agree. I think he sounds unprepared too often. Cooley and Mitchell sound like they did some homework. Doc gets quiet. You can tell he's looking something up online. Then he says "I call him ......" which usually is the 1st time he's ever said anything about that player. Even Smoot when on the radio can talk X's and O's. Assignments. Walker won't or can't. 

980 used to be mostly national shows like Jim Rome and Mike and Mike. Then people said they should go more local. 

Now that they are more local, people think they should be more national. 

Basically all the talk at this time is about the Redskins and the Cousins contract deal. I mean how much of that can you take? 

53 minutes ago, Bang said:

~Bang

He's literally a walking talking cliche factory at this point. Its amusing at times but sometimes its like...dude WTF are you talking about exactly?

• Like 1

they're not 'more local" ... they're nothing BUT local. 

there just isn't enough worth talking within that parameter to sustain 12 hours... especially all summer.

~Bang

Edited by Bang

980 really needs to switch up their format.  from 5AM-7PM, it's nothing but local sports radio.  Normally if this were NYC, or Chicago/Boston/Philly, then this would fly over fine with the sports talk radio audience, but even there, those cities at least air some national shows during the day to spice the format up a little bit.  I don't care how big of a sports city you are, airing 14+ hrs a day of local sports talk, especially in a city like DC can get draining.  After the Redskins stop playing in Jan every year, I check out of local sports radio until Training camp.  There's no reason so many hours of the day should be devoted to local sports talk.  That kills your station over time.  980 should air Cooley & Kevin in place of B-Mitch & Doc's time slot, and move Galdi to 6-10AM, or 10AM-1PM.  They should air either Mike & Mike or Lebatard in the morning, so that we can get a break from the local coverage.  I would get rid of Bram Weinstein's show (he adds nothing), and they should seriously consider shelving Czaban's 4-7PM show for Bomani's show, or find a better local sports radio host.  980 needs to completely revamp if they want to increase ratings.

Its just a tough time of year for local sports talk radio.  The Nats should be the focus of discussion right now, but people like to talk about issues with the team, and its tough to really nitpick a squad that has had a ~10 game lead in their division for a while now (aside from mentioning the bullpen, which I guess they recently addressed).

13 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Its just a tough time of year for local sports talk radio.  The Nats should be the focus of discussion right now, but people like to talk about issues with the team, and its tough to really nitpick a squad that has had a ~10 game lead in their division for a while now (aside from mentioning the bullpen, which I guess they recently addressed).

That's true, and I agree with you, but the point remains that 980 is simply on local sports talk overload during the day.  This town is simply not that big of a sports town for a station like 980 to devote 70+ hrs of local sports talk per week with no break in between.  Especially between Feb and August.  I love the Nats (and actually watch them more than I do the Skins the last few years), but you simply cannot find enough to talk about during the summer between the Nats/Wiz/Caps.  I mean, you could spend an hour or two talking about the Nats if you're running a 4hr show, but then what?  The Wiz/Caps aren't interesting enough to fill out a 4hr show in the summer.  Since the Nats are so good, and there's no race to speak of in their division, you find yourself having even less to talk about this time of the year.  If I were them, I would scrap at least 2 shows from their format, and replace them with national shows.  That way, you don't stretch yourself out with fatigue.

I don't think there's any reason why, particularly during this time of year, the locally-based hosts can't give a lot of attention to national topics.

The problem I think a lot of folks have had with 980 and 106.7 is the abundance of attention still given to the Redskins/NFL during the spring and early summer. Granted, the NFL drives ratings/callers and free agency and the draft are important to discuss, but it seems like too little attention is paid to the Wiz, Caps, Nats, and college hoops during the heart of their seasons. But I think other people have the same complaints about content in other markets.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

They had some pretty funny segments with Cooley this week. I actually kinda like Cooley by himself, he can be pretty entertaining. Sheehan is more knowledgable about other sports but is kind of boring in comparison.

I agree.  But neither knows a lick about baseball or hockey.

On 7/23/2017 at 9:43 AM, TheGreatBuzz said:

Since I was already talking about my move to Norfolk in the cable thread, I have a question for this thread.  Is there a good Skins/NFL radio station in Norfolk?  Right now I have Sirius only for the NFL Radio channel but Im looking for places I can cut back.  Thanks.

Going down there this weekend to visit military family.

It's a fun little area, we should get a beer next time I'm down there after you move :)

I don't have an answer for you because the people I know there are fans of other teams. I'll ask anyways.

You can pretty much stream anything you want these days.

• Like 1

Grant is a little smug.  Nice enough guy, but smug.  

Dusty can do whatever he wants with the lineup selection.  I'm not a Nats fan but from what I can tell it's the best offense in the NL.  And they're well rounded too, just not thumping homers although that's a big part of it.

So who gives a **** who's hitting 2nd?  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Grant is a little smug.  Nice enough guy, but smug.  

Dusty can do whatever he wants with the lineup selection.  I'm not a Nats fan but from what I can tell it's the best offense in the NL.  And they're well rounded too, just not thumping homers although that's a big part of it.

So who gives a **** who's hitting 2nd?  

It accounts for about 10 runs...per year. The Nats are on pace for 912 runs. It's so insignificant, yet they spend SO much time on it. This whole debate is like nails on a chalkboard.

• 1 month later...

Grant is at it again, he wonders why people like the manager of the Nationals get upset over his stupid questions or Pryor gets upset when he asks why he didn't argue about not arguing over a pass interference call. Maybe it's because these people are professionals, fat ass and you are just a dolt sitting in the stands. There is nothing wrong with having an opinion but please stop thinking you know everything!!!

• Like 4