Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things Sports Talk Radio - DMV (met)

Zguy28

All this nonsense even spilled over to the SC6 with Michael Smith and Jemele Hill. They even brought Jason Reid on the show to talk about the SKINS drama. Like he doesn't have an axe to grind. Don't even know why I wasted my time listening to him. 

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, Gamebreaker said:

Sorry, I don't understand the significance of that.  Is that something a station does when they decide to shut down? 

Yeah. They are no longer tracking their ratings. Ratings are used when pitching to potential sponsors/advertisers.  Add the with Tony leaving. Then the failing of their full day of local talk. Andy not being renewed. No more update guy reading (that's now the host doing it). It's piling up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I never listen to 106.7. I never look into ratings but just assumed 980 did exponentially better than 106.7.  This is crazy.

I really think 106.7 survives off the Howard Stern/Don and Mike foundation. Decade plus past but i think it just became such an automatic during that time and has just stayed automatic enough, for enough folks, for them to edge out 980. I think it's helped by the fact that it's one station signal as well, unlike 980 where you need to jump around depending where in the area you are. If your choices are between **** and ****, people are going to go with the most convenient ****. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/22/2017 at 9:16 PM, Voice_of_Reason said:

If 980 goes under, I'll miss Bram and Cooley film breakdown.  That's about it.  I can live with national shows in the other timeslots.  I refuse to listen to 106.7.  

I am getting close to this. I like Grant Paulsen, but Danny Rouhier is as big an ass as Chad Dukes, and possibly the whiniest person on the radio. The Junkies are tolerable for me--I've been listening to them for so long, they're just familiar. I might need to sign up for Sirius/XM again.

3 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I am getting close to this. I like Grant Paulsen, but Danny Rouhier is as big an ass as Chad Dukes, and possibly the whiniest person on the radio. The Junkies are tolerable for me--I've been listening to them for so long, they're just familiar. I might need to sign up for Sirius/XM again.

I get the familiar thing.  When was the last time the Junkies talked about anything other than the Junkies?  2007?

Bram has said that Mike and Mike is going away, to be replaced with something else that's undetermined.  I'm waiting for that day.

And, oh btw, Cooley REALLY needs to get his ass back from Wyoming.  The Kevin Sheehan Show for the last 6 weeks has been HORRIBLE.  Let me sum up Kevin Sheehan Live:

1. Kirk has all the leverage, team screwed up, pay the man. (At least 2.5 hours daily)

2. Lots of talk about Lebron being the best ever if he beat the Warriors.  (he didn't, so pointless conversation topic.)

3. Lots of talk about the Warriors.  They won the NBA title, so I guess that's fine.  

4. Teeth mashing about the Wizards.

5. Justification for ONLY talking NBA for 4 weeks: The NBA is the third most popular sport in the country behind NFL and College Football!

6 (If forced by putting a gun to his head) a mention that there is a baseball team in DC.  1 segment max a week with the insider.

7. More useless NBA talk, draft, something else, whatever.  

There, I just gave you the last 6 weeks of programming.

And, FWIW, the Nats are the second biggest draw in DC, and it's not close.  If the Nats win a playoff series, the ratings are going to dwarf the Wizards in just about any scenario.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I get the familiar thing.  When was the last time the Junkies talked about anything other than the Junkies?  2007?

Bram has said that Mike and Mike is going away, to be replaced with something else that's undetermined.  I'm waiting for that day.

And, oh btw, Cooley REALLY needs to get his ass back from Wyoming.  The Kevin Sheehan Show for the last 6 weeks has been HORRIBLE.  Let me sum up Kevin Sheehan Live:

1. Kirk has all the leverage, team screwed up, pay the man. (At least 2.5 hours daily)

2. Lots of talk about Lebron being the best ever if he beat the Warriors.  (he didn't, so pointless conversation topic.)

3. Lots of talk about the Warriors.  They won the NBA title, so I guess that's fine.  

4. Teeth mashing about the Wizards.

5. Justification for ONLY talking NBA for 4 weeks: The NBA is the third most popular sport in the country behind NFL and College Football!

6 (If forced by putting a gun to his head) a mention that there is a baseball team in DC.  1 segment max a week with the insider.

7. More useless NBA talk, draft, something else, whatever.  

There, I just gave you the last 6 weeks of programming.

And, FWIW, the Nats are the second biggest draw in DC, and it's not close.  If the Nats win a playoff series, the ratings are going to dwarf the Wizards in just about any scenario.  

I haven't listened to 980 in about a year, because all the talk during baseball season was Redskins and Wizards. The worst part of 106.7 is the constant negativity, about everything: Dusty, the fans, the bullpen (ok, that's legitimate) anything. When the Nats win? It's silence. Nats won 6-1, an hour was devoted to Kirk Cousins contract. Nats lose? 45 mins complaining like they're 9.5 games back, not ahead.

• Like 3

The reporters in this area just don't know baseball,except Galdi and he's stuck in that 5 AM timeslot. I remember in 2012 Kevin Sheehan trying to argue that Strasburg should have been moved to the bullpen for the playoffs after his shutdown. Product of not having a baseball team in town for over 30 years I guess.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The reporters in this area just don't know baseball,except Galdi and he's stuck in that 5 AM timeslot. I remember in 2012 Kevin Sheehan trying to argue that Strasburg should have been moved to the bullpen for the playoffs after his shutdown. Product of not having a baseball team in town for over 30 years I guess.

Grant Paulsen does--he does a lot of work for MLB Radio, covers the draft. The Junkies are terrible when they try to talk about baseball, they just are not informed, at all. Danny Rouhier is a condescending, ill-informed, know-it-all when it comes to the Nats. He really doesn't know ****. And Chad Dukes is just a joke--I mean hea can't figure out how old a 24 month old is (actual segment on his show) and got a breast reduction.

54 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I haven't listened to local radio in months - not since I got Sirius. I don't miss it. 

But I probably will listen to 980 in the morning when football season rolls around. 

7 hours ago, grego said:

I haven't listened to local radio in months - not since I got Sirius. I don't miss it. 

But I probably will listen to 980 in the morning when football season rolls around. 

Same here. After football season ended, I almost completely stopped listening to DC sports talk. It's just the same stuff over and over about the Redskins, and it gets a little tiring. Even if the team was coming off of a great season, it would be tiring. The takes on hockey, baseball and hoops have never been particularly strong, and they just don't spend much time on those sports. I know the Redskins are where their bread is buttered, but how much can you talk about the same stuff?

I still listen to Cooley and Kevin every once in a while and Bram occasionally, but my listening will pick up around training camp...if 980 is still around by then. I've basically been listening to Sirius and podcasts, but I can't bring myself to listen to 106.7. I've never been able to since they switched to sports talk. Like Riggo mentioned, it's just constant negativity. I get it, that's their schtick, and it gets people riled up, but I don't want to listen to that. But as someone mentioned, that frequency is just familiar to so many people in the area. I have family members that talk about how much they hate 106.7, but they still listen to it because they can always get it, and they've listened to that station for about three decades. It's just a natural reaction at this point. 

• Like 1