Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things Sports Talk Radio - DMV (met)

Zguy28

6 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Paulsen has gone full Feinstein. He is only interested in his own opinion and cannot be wrong. Ever. He argues with callers in the most condescending arrogant manner. 106.7 has gone to complete hot-take ****. 

Exactly right,  I listen to a lot of sports radio and there are some arrogant people in the profession, but I have never heard someone like this who refuses to be wrong or argued on anything. I like Danny, but he never seems to have an opinion that differs from Grant and I think the reason for that is because he knows Grant will go on one of his rants about how right he is.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Exactly right,  I listen to a lot of sports radio and there are some arrogant people in the profession, but I have never heard someone like this who refuses to be wrong or argued on anything. I like Danny, but he never seems to have an opinion that differs from Grant and I think the reason for that is because he knows Grant will go on one of his rants about how right he is.

All Danny does is whine and do ****ty impressions.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

He argues with callers in the most condescending arrogant manner. 106.7 has gone to complete hot-take ****. 

THIS is so true!  The sports talk folk on 106.7 take it to another level.  They just berate callers and make fun of them.  Being critical is fine - it is usually warranted.  I don't have issues w/ pointing out the flaws on the teams.  But, the hosts on that station seem to revel and take glee in bashing the callers.

• Like 1

One of the most tone deaf, completely unaware articles we've seen since Vinny Cerrato was fired. This is "sacks n' stuff" level ignorant: http://grantpaulsen.com/three-nationals-impacted-division-title/

If you don't want to click, I'll give you the jist of it:

-- Brian Goodwin exploded onto the scene as a plus-fielder with immense power. Wilmer Difo hit for average while emerging as one of the better defensive shortstops in baseball according to advanced analytics. Both of whom Grant criticized incessantly through most of the season.

-- 

-- Managing is as much about relationships and manicuring relationships as it is about the X’s and O’s. I’ll always have mini issues with Baker’s in-game tactics and philosophies, particularly with his paradigm on lineup construction and bullpen usage. Mini issues?! ARE YOU ****ING KIDDING ME!!! It's all Grant talked about FOR MONTHS. He passively agressively pined for Bud Black several times this year.

-- The impressive performances of back-of-the-roster types like Goodwin and Difo can be chalked up to those guys being talented. Again, who Grant whined about as much as he ****ed about the second spot in the line up

-- I’ve always said that I’d rather have Baker manage the team I care about and be annoyed by his batting order almost every day than have 90% of other managers skipper the club. He is a baseball lifer who knows the game and who gets the most out of his players because they love playing for him. Sports are about people. Baker excels in that area and it makes up for some of the things he doesn’t always do as well. Bull. ****ing. ****. You openly campaigned for Bud Black and did nothing but rip Baker all year. **** off.

-- The fact that [Rendon] hit sixth for most of the year and was still able to impact the Nationals as much as he did is a testament to his consistency and excellence. Hitting sixth may have helped in drive in more runs and pad some of his counting statistics, but his overall value to the lineup and number of at-bats would have been increased had he have gotten more chances hitting in the top-third of the order, where most of the league’s other elite talents hit. Translation: I'm still right about this. I still know all, see all, and I am the smartest douche in the room

Go **** yourself you two-faced piece of ****. Go back to rooting for the Orioles you douche.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

I have been here for 2 months... DC sports talk sucks compared to LA... the hosts are no fun... and when they try to be it is lame. 

Cooleys film breakdowns are the only thing worth listening to.

I barely listened to Paulson but I knew that must be the guy alwayd ****ing about Nationals lineup... I think he probably asked Dusty about it during press availability.

Honestly they need to be talented enough to fill up a show without calls.... 

• Like 2

smh Paulsen actually used to be good. I remember when the radio heads would say "Grant and Danny are the best on the radio in DC", conveniently forgetting that Sheehan was on 980 or Kornheiser at the time was still doing radio. Danny was the troll but Grant was level headed. Now with Grant raising a fuss about the whole Nationals thing to Dusty Baker, he has gone full out heel. Sad that people have to stoop so low to get attention, but this is basically talk radio. Whoever is the most outspoken and "controversial" gets the hits. How do you think Stephen A Smith got so popular? Hint: He says controversial things and raises his voice comically in order to draw ratings. 

Oh by the way? The people calling into radio shows are stupid 95% of the time. I've heard so much sports talk as well as "comedy talk" throughout the years. The radio caller is your "first time long time" rube who listens all day and proposes unrealistic trades for the host to discuss, then he will "hang up and listen". "Yeah Grant we should deal Kirk Cousins right now after Sunday he's Garbage, give him to San Francisco and let's get some draft picks in return, I'll hang up and listen." 

Edited by ixcuincle
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Fergasun said:

I have been here for 2 months... DC sports talk sucks compared to LA... the hosts are no fun... and when they try to be it is lame. 

Cooleys film breakdowns are the only thing worth listening to.

I barely listened to Paulson but I knew that must be the guy alwayd ****ing about Nationals lineup... I think he probably asked Dusty about it during press availability.

Honestly they need to be talented enough to fill up a show without calls.... 

Jim Rome once taught me that for sports talk, taking calls is the most laziest thing you can do. It was the same with Opie and Anthony. When Opie took calls all the time from listeners it was boring because the listeners would always say stupid things. "More of me, and less of you, is a good thing" 

agreed, Taking calls means you don't have enough to talk about. Talking about the same stuff in the same order as the previous show on the same station. Even worse. Playing CLIPS from that show.....death. I don't care if it's an interview..

One thing I've noticed from reactions online. Fred Smoot is good on the radio. He mixed his Smoot-Smack with actually talking X's and O's, Match-ups, and individual player stuff. He does his homework....which is more than you can say for Doc Walker these days.

I know they'll say it's not what listeners want. 980 is stupid for not at least dedicating a 1-2 hour show to the Nats every day. Or at least NON-Redskins stuff. Nats and Terps right now.

You know what? Scratch that? I'm going to "reboot" my 980 dream lineup again.

7-10 - Cooley and Kevin

10-12 - Bram

10-2 Galdi/Chin Music (Get Galdi a co-host OR a ton of interviews)

2-4 - Locker room with Jackson, Brian Mitchell, and FRED SMOOT

4-7 - Czabe

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ixcuincle said:

smh Paulsen actually used to be good. I remember when the radio heads would say "Grant and Danny are the best on the radio in DC", conveniently forgetting that Sheehan was on 980 or Kornheiser at the time was still doing radio. Danny was the troll but Grant was level headed. Now with Grant raising a fuss about the whole Nationals thing to Dusty Baker, he has gone full out heel. Sad that people have to stoop so low to get attention, but this is basically talk radio. Whoever is the most outspoken and "controversial" gets the hits. How do you think Stephen A Smith got so popular? Hint: He says controversial things and raises his voice comically in order to draw ratings. 

Oh by the way? The people calling into radio shows are stupid 95% of the time. I've heard so much sports talk as well as "comedy talk" throughout the years. The radio caller is your "first time long time" rube who listens all day and proposes unrealistic trades for the host to discuss, then he will "hang up and listen". "Yeah Grant we should deal Kirk Cousins right now after Sunday he's Garbage, give him to San Francisco and let's get some draft picks in return, I'll hang up and listen." 

Now that Grant has been on MLB channel covering the draft among other things, he has become a Class A arrogant, pompous jackass; thinking he is some kind of industry expert.

The quality of MLB Radio is 1000x better.

• Like 1

Arrogant is the perfect word for him. I don't know what has gotten into him, but he has turned into a total jackass this year. Every guest is the best in his field or "this is going to be the most informative segment you hear today." Why don't you leave that to the audience to decide? You don't have to tell us.

Edited by spjunkies
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I like Bram Weinstein. He's the only local guy with personality and flair. Well Cooley is okay but really only knows football. Everything after 1 o clock is crap.

I like Bram, but I dont like one host shows, as a general rule.  In sports talk radio, I prefer a discussion with equal parts providing give and take, where questionable takes or facts can be challenged.  Sometimes Bram says things with conviction that need to be addressed and he just keeps on going like he's right cuz his name's on the marquee and he can.  The national radio guys suffer from this a lot.  The sidekicks provide little resistance.

I think that's why I used to like the Sports Reporters cuz it wasnt just one guy's thoughts dominating.

Edited by justice98

I'm a Bram fan also. He loves the local teams. But isn't going to pull punches when they do something stupid.

Honestly, if the Skins were to have a daily TV show (they shouldn't), him hosting would be the best idea. He can actually interview a person. He can talk without sounding like he's selling me snake-oil.

Only thing I don't like is him not having a co-host. Yeah, his producer is there. But it's not the same. Something to have a conversation with. When he would have former co-workers from ESPN on as guests. It was so natural. 

4 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

Jim Rome once taught me that for sports talk, taking calls is the most laziest thing you can do. It was the same with Opie and Anthony. When Opie took calls all the time from listeners it was boring because the listeners would always say stupid things. "More of me, and less of you, is a good thing" 

Rome is the worst cuz he encourages the pointless long, scripted, monologue calls.  That's extra, super duper lazy.

• Like 1