Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things Sports Talk Radio - DMV (met)

Zguy28

Cooley has gotten worse since switching to the AM slot.  Anytime I listen, he's saying off the wall stuff that is just nonsense, in a super goofy way like you know he's dicking around.  It seemed much easier for Galdi or Czabe to reel him in. 

But Cooley with Sheehan is just not for me, I guess.

The problem with Cooley is that his sports knowledge is EXTREMELY limited outside of football. That was fine when he was with Galdi and Czabe who could cover it but with just Sheehan and doing a show in the middle of the dead period of sports is just brutal. Maybe it'll get better once football season starts, we'll see.

I like Loverro with Sheehan. There is a dynamic there that other shows just don't have. It's a perfect match. I really don't like Cooley and Sheehan together. It just seems awkward and forced.

I agree. I liked Sheehan and Loverro. I liked Cooley and Czabe. But Sheehan and Cooley just don't have the same kind of chemistry together. There is just a whole lot of awkwardness on that show. I am definitely not writing them off, it could very well get better over time. But I do not listen as much as I initially did. 

However, I am pretty excited for Bram's glorious return.

The problem with Cooley is that his sports knowledge is EXTREMELY limited outside of football. That was fine when he was with Galdi and Czabe who could cover it but with just Sheehan and doing a show in the middle of the dead period of sports is just brutal. Maybe it'll get better once football season starts, we'll see.

I thought I'd like the show more. I'm kind of meh with it.

Hoping it'll get better when football season rolls around.

I've taken some flak around here for liking Sheehan. I use to really like him. I thought Lovero was a pot stirring ninny and grew tired of him.

But now Lovero is on once a week in the Sports Reporters slot as a guest reporter and I'm enjoying Lovero, and finding Sheehan to be a pot stirring ninny.

I also thought the Sports Fix was handicapped to strictly redskins by contract, but now I'm thinking it's just Sheehan. He just doesn't want to talk about anything else. It's annoying.

Though their segment on questions to revoke the man card was fun this morning.

I have a feeling they'll be a good september-january show and boring the rest of the year.

Edited by tshile
  • Like 3

I've taken some flak around here for liking Sheehan. I use to really like him. I thought Lovero was a pot stirring ninny and grew tired of him.

But now Lovero is on once a week in the Sports Reporters slot as a guest reporter and I'm enjoying Lovero, and finding Sheehan to be a pot stirring ninny.

I also thought the Sports Fix was handicapped to strictly redskins by contract, but now I'm thinking it's just Sheehan. He just doesn't want to talk about anything else. It's annoying.

I have a feeling they'll be a good september-january show and boring the rest of the year.

This is pretty much exactly me.

Cooley and Kevin's 'chemistry" feels very strained.

Am hyped for Bram on in Mid-Days..  I have always enjoyed him.

~Bang

Edited by Bang

Lol Get him on the topic of Maryland basketball (Or please don't), he'll talk about that forever.

I enjoy having Czabe and Andy back together. Mainly because I think they have a pretty good natural chemistry together which an help the show move along. Plus I've always enjoyed listening to Czabe. I like Galdi when he has a partner. It's nothing against him, but I tend to turn his show in the morning off more often than not because of that.

I'm not too big on Sheehan and Cooley together. As others have stated, it's just kind of a weird chemistry.

• Like 1

I like Loverro with Sheehan. There is a dynamic there that other shows just don't have. It's a perfect match. I really don't like Cooley and Sheehan together. It just seems awkward and forced.

Everybody with Cooley seems forced. I think Cooley's probably better off on TV. Like one of the B-team infantry on NFL Network during the week.

There are times I think that one of them is going to punch the other.  And, honestly, I'm rooting for it.  

Actually, I think that Cooley's general "being an athlete" knowledge is pretty good.  I can tell that he does actually put time in to prepare for the show.  He is prepared, and I think he probably works at it.  He likes MD hoops.  I think his weakest subject is either the Nats or Hockey.

The Caps coverage on the show was atrocious.  Partially because Sheehan doesn't doesn't care, and has admitted such.  Cooley doesn't know or care enough to carry segments on the Caps.  

I think they're doing better with the Nats, especially when they have Zuckerman (is that right?) on.  The beat reporter is very good.  But if you want Nats coverage, you need to go to Grant and Danny.  

Morning show is terrible. Bring back Mike and Mike.

It's on 570 or espnradio app, just flip on over.  

"Pot stirring ninny."  I'm going to use that.  For all kinds of things.  Thanks.  Plagiarism is the highest form of flattery.  

My only point is that Kevin does not ONLY focus on the Redskins.  He waxes poetic about his beloved Maryland Hoops and Wizards (and NBA in general) ALL THE FREAKING TIME. 

I notice because I actively root against Maryland hoops, so really don't care, and any time spent talking about the wizards is a wasted opportunity to watch paint dry.  (for the record, I painted my part of my basement this past weekend. And I watched it dry a little to make sure that the color blended properly, and I can confirm that was more interesting than anything to do with the wizards.)

He actively doesn't care about the Caps, and it doesn't seem as though he's really into the Nats either. In some segment, he said he wanted the Redskins to be the first team to win a championship, followed by the Wizards, and actually didn't want the Caps or Nats to win one until the 'Skins or Wizards won one.  Which might have been the most moronic thing I've ever heard in my life. 

• Like 1

Yeah, he definitely loves his maryland hoops talk. I get that.

I'm using "all the time" loosely.

Like if the Nats have a great game the next time they're out, I mean as compelling of a baseball game as a regular season game can be, Sheehan would rather discuss the odds of a Cousins signing tomorrow and how they've changed from where they were on Monday and leave the nats talk to the update crew coming in from break.

I'm a Redskins fan first, and a DC sports fan second, and that's pretty much it. I spend my time on a redskins forum. I have an unhealthy obsession with the team. Even I have grown tired of it.

The other thing that irks me about Sheehan is that he will flip right around if there's drama. He'll talk nats all day if the DC strangler strikes again. He'll talk caps for an entire segment if Leonsis published a new blog post taking shots at the other teams, fans, or media.

A good game? A compelling performance? He'd rather talk about Cousins and a long term deal.

edit: I've transitioned from never missing a Sheehan show (when it was the sports fix) to never missing Czabe's yahoo sports radio morning show. *shrug*

Edited by tshile

"Oh, by the way..."

I think Sheehan and Cooley say this phrase 97 times a show, each, minimum. 

The one thing that I will give them credit for is that Cooley made SO much fun of Sheehan for his "more importantly" when he got bored of a topic, that they created a segment around it.  Which is pretty good, honestly.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ecause beat guys are different from hot take guys. They largely just deliver the goods and keep their mouths shut.

You make a very valid point, it's just so disappointing to me seeing what he has turned into. What's sad is I actually really like Danny and there are times when I can tell that he wants to punch the guy himself, he's the only reason I tune into the station during their slot.

I think Cooley and Kevin's chemistry is fine. I get a kick out of how often they tease each other...don't remember exactly when this was, but Kevin was mocking Cooley's "you're not wrong" phrase. 

I don't know at times it just comes across really awkward as if they're about to start fighting each other. Its just not a natural chemistry. They also both often talk over each other. They're both Alpha male types, the two of them together don't work.

Bram has done a really good job so far on his new show.

• Like 1

I don't know at times it just comes across really awkward as if they're about to start fighting each other. Its just not a natural chemistry. They also both often talk over each other. They're both Alpha male types, the two of them together don't work.

Bram has done a really good job so far on his new show.

I want to catch that show but still haven't been able to. 

I don't really understand why they have it set the way they do. It seems to me they would be better off with a standard 6-10 show with Galdi/Cooley/Sheehan combined. It covers most of the bases in skilled commentary on 3 of 4 major sports and is a standard time slot. You could easily branch out one of the mid-day shows either way and have Weinstein and Mitchell/Doc covering the time slots between 10-1 and 1-4, with Reporters finishing up 4-7.