Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN - Redskins QB thoughts: Kirk Cousins and more

HapHaszard

http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/15677/redskins-qb-thoughts-kirk-cousins-and-more?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Some quick quarterback thoughts:

• Minnesota traded quarterback Matt Cassel to Buffalo on Wednesday, taking another team out of the hunt for another quarterback. There are still a few who need help, but Cleveland (Josh McCown) and Buffalo (Cassel) have found veterans. Tampa Bay will pick one in the draft. And St. Louis still has Sam Bradford -- for now. If the Rams do get rid of him, they could be players for Marcus Mariota in the draft. The New York Jets and Houston remain in the market for quarterbacks, though the Jets, picking sixth, could land Mariota if no one trades into the top five for him.
  •  
  • So, the question then becomes: What does this mean for Kirk Cousins? As of now, he'll be with the Washington Redskins, according to a source. I don't think his side expects that to change, either. The Redskins do like having him around for competition with Robert Griffin III.

click on the link for more

Of course, if Cousins returns along with Griffin, I can't imagine Colt McCoy, a pending free agent, would want to be back in Washington. McCoy genuinely loved playing in this offense and felt he was in sync with what the coaches wanted. That's why he seemed crushed he could not finish the season because of injury; it was an opportunity lost and he knew it.

I'm really interested to see if they end up bringing in a 3rd QB and if so will it be

1. The rookie later round pick ala potential starter in 2016?

2. The young QB who flashed potential before the draft but then washed out of the league ala Colt McCoy/Jake Locker/etc.

If they don't then its possible the 2016 season starts with no QB on the roster

Media, coaches can says that RG3 is the starter as of today which they have but I believe both RG3 and KC compete during training camp and preseason and the one that evolves as the most proficient will be the starter opening day. 

I don't think it's possible the 2016 season starts with no QB on the roster.  Just saying.

When does the season start? March

and when does Free Agency start? March

And both Cousins and Griffin are Free Agents next year

So why is it not possible that at the start of the 2016 season we don't have a QB on the roster? All it would take would be to carry two QB's this season and decide not to re-sign either of them

Oh its possible, and I somewhat think it's likely to happen. The only question is if either Cousins or Griffin can turn it around or not. From what I've seen last year the answer is firmly that they can not but time will show us all that to be the case or not.

Which is why I said it was so important to see what they do with the 3rd QB position this year

I would argue there's not a person out there who asks, "When does football season start?" and accepts "March" as an answer...

Then you would be arguing and not know what the truth is, if you choose to believe that the season does not start in March you can and I can't help that but it does

Well if your defense of this is going to be anything like your defense of hankerson, ill just go ahead and back away slowly.

Look man first off I dont know you so have no idea why your bring up me being a fan of Leonard Hankerson, second off your wrong saying the season doesnt start in March.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/17/2014-15-nfl-calendar/

March 10 at 4pm the 2015 season starts, says it right there. You can think whatever you want, its a free country and I have to assume your a Redskins fan even though you seem to have an issue with me being a fan of a player on the team so honestly maybe your not? As for Hankerson he was the 2nd most productive WR while he was here between 2011 and 2013 and was the Redskins most productive WR they drafted since the early 2000s and that is also the truth, like me or not thats just what it is

Come on man, it was probably said in jest.

Either way, yeah technically the NFL season may start in March but when its referenced like it was above regarding the QBs...no. Nobody would take it that way.

Most people refer to and understand this time as the offseason, not the NFL season. So by that understanding, yeah, they wouldn't start the 2016 NFL season without a QB on the roster

Look man first off I dont know you so have no idea why your bring up me being a fan of Leonard Hankerson, second off your wrong saying the season doesnt start in March.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/17/2014-15-nfl-calendar/

March 10 at 4pm the 2015 season starts, says it right there. You can think whatever you want, its a free country and I have to assume your a Redskins fan even though you seem to have an issue with me being a fan of a player on the team so honestly maybe your not? As for Hankerson he was the 2nd most productive WR while he was here between 2011 and 2013 and was the Redskins most productive WR they drafted since the early 2000s and that is also the truth, like me or not thats just what it is

No, it says the "league year" starts. That is different than the actual football season which is when actual football play begins. 

Frankly, for me, the "new" Redskins season started, when the front office started changing coaches, getting a new GM, adding new players to the Skins practice squad, releasing players, etc. I'm not going to split hairs over formal start dates, etc.

More to the point of this thread .... what I find curious, is just how 'unsettled' the Skins QB situation is. I can see Gruden & Co starting out by giving Griffin the most time with the first string -- after all, they really need to find out about Griffin, considering all that's been invested in him.

But I also get the sense that if Griffin falters, Gruden will not hesitate to look to someone else. The question of who that "someone else" might be... Is w-i-d-e open.

That's been the biggest disappointment -- for years we've been going on about the Skins getting their "franchise" quarterback. Instead it seems that going into the early phases of this season, the only thing the Skins have been able to arrange is a "mystery" quarterback!

As for Hankerson he was the 2nd most productive WR while he was here between 2011 and 2013 and was the Redskins most productive WR they drafted since the early 2000s and that is also the truth, like me or not thats just what it is

From 2011 to 2013:

Santana Moss - Rec - 129 - yds 1609

Pierre Garcon - Rec -  157 - yds 1959 - in less than 1/2 seasons  

Leonard Hankerson - Rec 81 - Yds 1081

Roy Helu in 2 seasons had 80 catches. Even Logan Paulson had 69.

Not sure where you get 2nd most productive.

What's interesting is that as injured as Hank has been over the 4 yrs you are willing to give Hank the benefit of the doubt, but not RGIII.

hankerson?  please.  this guy was never any good.   first moment I saw him on the field, he reminded me of Darnerian McCants, right down to the number.  He plays timid, and doesnt do anything special.  he's a below average receiver in this league, who, like McCants will be out of the league before he makes any real on field accomplishment  (for example, he's never going to be a 1000 yard receiver. no way, no how).  he's a nobody.  he's just a guy.  that's what he is.  just a guy tryin' to make a roster.  nice guy, though, ill say that.

Media, coaches can says that RG3 is the starter as of today which they have but I believe both RG3 and KC compete during training camp and preseason and the one that evolves as the most proficient will be the starter opening day.

I agree. I just hope one of these guys clearly outplays the other and establishes himself as the starter.

The plan is to draft Connor Cook or Hackenberg next year. Unless there's a miracle with Griffin or Cousins.

From what I've seen, both of them look like mid round projects.

I'm really interested to see if they end up bringing in a 3rd QB and if so will it be

1. The rookie later round pick ala potential starter in 2016?

2. The young QB who flashed potential before the draft but then washed out of the league ala Colt McCoy/Jake Locker/etc.

If they don't then its possible the 2016 season starts with no QB on the roster

Well as others have pointed out we will have a QB on the roster :-) We will go into OTAs with at least 4 on the roster and its a pretty safe bet two of them will be Griffin and Cousins. There will then be one veteran (probably McCoy) and someone we draft later on day 2 or an UDFA.

Urrrgh Another Kiem love in for KC I wonder if they date? 

I really prefer if we would stop trying to develop QBs in tandam. I am not sure how Kiem thinks Cousins had a rough deal last season. He was handed the starters job because of injury and then proved to the NFL that he is still a raw backup level player who regressed with increased playing time.

Coaches may like him but rI think the coaches like all the players on the roster. 

My preference would be to trade one of the 4th year QBs on the roster and focus on the other. If Griffin was on a short leash then I would prefer it would be in preference for a QB who has shown they have had some NFL success . 

Urrrgh Another Kiem love in for KC I wonder if they date? 

I really prefer if we would stop trying to develop QBs in tandam. I am not sure how Kiem thinks Cousins had a rough deal last season. He was handed the starters job because of injury and then proved to the NFL that he is still a raw backup level player who regressed with increased playing time.

Coaches may like him but rI think the coaches like all the players on the roster. 

My preference would be to trade one of the 4th year QBs on the roster and focus on the other. If Griffin was on a short leash then I would prefer it would be in preference for a QB who has shown they have had some NFL success . 

KC certainly should take partial responsibility for that drop off, but it also falls upon QB coaching to step in and correct problems before they become habitual. You have to admit, he can't really be held responsible for the Eagles game, if we only had a defense who could stop a group of 5th grade kids it would have been a win, and Seattle and Arizona aren't exactly weak teams defensively, i'm sure any of our QBs would have struggled against them.

What's interesting is that as injured as Hank has been over the 4 yrs you are willing to give Hank the benefit of the doubt, but not RGIII.

Why should anyone give Griffin the benefit of the doubt? In nine games he played in last year he was 40th in the league in TD passes when he threw 4 of them. Cousins and McCoy played much less and did better. Hell even EJ Manual did better then that in only half the time and he was just replaced by Josh McCown. There is no reason to believe that Griffin will turn anything around, he never had it in the first place. When he was doing great in 2012 he was leading with his legs and keeping teams off balance and he can't do that anymore. There should be no misunderstanding about my thoughts on these QB's I don't like either and don't believe in either of them anymore. They both should hit the bricks and we should be drafting a new QB this season

Griffin will be remembered in history as a huge draft bust you, me, and everyone else will have to live with. There is no way out of the Griffin mess except to just dump him at this point. Hankerson on the other hand is not the QB or the reason that Griffin lost 17 of his last 22 starts and that's with me giving him a W for the Jacksonville game when he only threw 3 passes!

That's why I give him no benefit of the doubt. I expect a starting NFL QB to throw TD passes and win games. Two things Griffin can't do. You want to continue believing be my guest but results like that don't turn around in this league. You can go point out Steve Young if you want to from 25+ years ago but show me another QB who was as awful as that who became a good QB in this league

Hankerson on the other hand as you pointed out has been productive as a WR but missed a lot of time, Your stats don't show that he was the surest handed receiver with the least amount of drops during that time. A WR can't throw himself the football. He is still the only 6'2 WR on the team where height in this league at that position actually matters most and he still has the biggest hands on the team, and he is a good route runner, and he would be extremely cheap to re-sign. We can use him. Hankerson would be our WR4 and is the only WR in that time frame 2011-2013 who had multiple TD games. For a cheap player we should re-sign him and see what he can do for us. Griffin can kick rocks I am tired of losing because of him. We don't lose because of Hankerson and I hope they do re-sign Hankerson. I'm a fan of the team but when guys drag it down I don't like them. That's where I am with Cousins and Griffin. Time to start over with someone new

Why should anyone give Griffin the benefit of the doubt? In nine games he played in last year he was 40th in the league in TD passes when he threw 4 of them. Cousins and McCoy played much less and did better. Hell even EJ Manual did better then that in only half the time and he was just replaced by Josh McCown.

Reduced for space.....

My comment really had not nearly as much to do with RGIII than your continued support of hankerson despite him being at least as big a disappointment as RGIII if not much worse. You have a very skewed view. Hankerson is a complete bust. He has been since day one. Talk about about oft injured. The guy steps on a field and gets injured. The stats do not show him to be productive. Garcon destroyed his numbers in basically 1.5 season. Helu had 1 less catch in 2 seasons to Hankersons 3. Also, you said he was the 2nd most productive. You could argue he was not even in the top 5. During that time only Garcon and Moss were legitimate WRs and he couldn't get on the field consistently.

And yes, you have stated about 100+ (probably conservative) times your problems with RGIII (the reason I was not really going to discuss him). You have picked your favorites. That's OK That's what being a fan is all about.

For the record, my take is we have too much invested not to give him one more season. Despite the doom and gloom you predict, there really is very little to lose giving him this season, and Cousins too for that matter. But there is a lot to gain. If they bomb out, then we look at next years draft. There will be a mid to late rd QB taken this year. Next year too unless there is someone specific we want.

There is no one in this draft I want to see at QB. Give the guys a shot and look towards next year.

Archived