Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per HuffPost and AP: NBC anchor Brian Williams lies about being in helicopter hit by enemy fire in Iraq

Popeman38

So they determined he did indeed lie, and that the punishment is 6 months suspension?

Doesn't make sense to me. If he lied (which it seemed clear he did, regardless of NBC's investigation) then why isn't the punishment to terminate him?

Everyone on this board lies all the time.

Well, that's a hell of a statement.

So they determined he did indeed lie, and that the punishment is 6 months suspension?

Doesn't make sense to me. If he lied (which it seemed clear he did, regardless of NBC's investigation) then why isn't the punishment to terminate him?

Well, that's a hell of a statement.

Maybe NBC didn't feel it was grounds for termination. Maybe they still see value in having Brian Williams. Maybe NBC thought the fallout from terminating him wasn't worth it. 

Who knows - but this still seems like a hard punishment by NBC.

At least one news channel gets it.  

Maybe NBC didn't feel it was grounds for termination. Maybe they still see value in having Brian Williams. Maybe NBC thought the fallout from terminating him wasn't worth it. 

Who knows - but this still seems like a hard punishment by NBC.

At least one news channel gets it.  

But see, that's the thing. Not terminating your leading host for lying in his reports seems to suggest, to me, that they don't get it...

Looks like this jabroni has been exaggerating lying all along. 

[Williams once] told about witnessing a suicide at the Superdome. Or the one he told about watching a body float past the Ritz-Carlton, perched at the edge of an otherwise dry French Quarter. Or the one about the dysentery he said he got. And, finally, the story he told about the Ritz-Carlton gangs. Three separate individuals told reporters no gangs infiltrated the Ritz-Carlton.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/02/09/questioning-the-ritz-carlton-gangs-that-brian-williams-said-terrorized-him-during-katrina/

Yes, people do lie from time to time.

If you butcher tells you he was in a rock band in the 90s, well, so what.

If anyone who works at my company lied on their resume (and was discovered), it is grounds for immediate termination.

He is in a position where his job is to tell people the news.  His credibility to tell the truth is paramount to his job performance.  No believe in him, no watchie NBC news, no gettie ratings.

Also, he told a lie in an area that is VERY serious to many folks - he lied about part of a military action, making his role appear MUCH bigger than what actually happened (which diminishes those actual folks who had real experiences like this).  He has been telling these lies for MANY years, not once while drunk at some party.  Then, he doubled down by lying/embellishing AGAIN in his apology.

The only reason he's not fired today is his ratings are very good, period.

Also, there is another story that he's now being investigated by NBC for his expense accounts:  http://www.mediaite.com/tv/nbc-reportedly-has-dossier-of-brian-williams-lies-investigating-his-expense-accounts/

Personally, I think he should be fired, because these lies directly affect how he can do his job and will most likely have a very adverse affect on his employer.

Well then...

http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/13/opinion/bergen-brian-williams-seal-team-six/ 

Did Brian Williams embed with SEAL Team 6?

By Peter Bergen, CNN National Security Analyst

Updated 12:49 PM ET, Fri February 13, 2015

Story highlights

• Brian Williams said he traveled with SEAL Team 6, got memento from Osama bin Laden raid
  • Peter Bergen says claims may require review since SEALs took great pains to be covert

On May 3, 2011, just two days after the daring U.S. Navy SEAL Team 6 raid that killed Osama bin Laden in Pakistan, Williams said on his NBC News show, "Now, people might be hearing about SEAL Team 6. I happen to have the great honor of flying into Baghdad with them at the start of the war." 

With this statement Williams asserted that he was embedded with one of the most covert units in the U.S. military and flew with the SEALs into Iraq in March 2003 as the war there began.

When asked about this claim, a Special Operations Command spokesman Ken McGraw told CNN: "We do not embed journalists with that unit or any other unit that conducts counterterrorism missions. Bottom line -- no."

(more at link)

<edit>

Everyone on this board lies all the time.  

Here's some truth: you a have been around awhile and you post on a variety of matters. And every time I read a post of yours that makes me think "that's a dumbass comment", I realize that I have had so many reactions like that regarding your posts that I then go to my "why is this guy still here" place. Just another demonstration of my belief that we should ban only for the appropriate rule violations, and nothing else, while admitting the wisdom of my stance is open to question.

Brian Williams is caught in a perfect storm.

Conservatives are outraged because it justifies their want to bash the media.

Media members are outraged because they can possibly grab market share, ratings, and money away from NBC.

Ethicists are outraged because he lied and that is a moral no-no in the journalism biz.

Liberals are outraged because they expect better and gives FOX and conservatives a legitimate gripe.

That said, I think he has a chance to come back after six months.  America likes to tear down people, but it also loves a redemption story.  More, while it was lousy that Williams took credit and invented this experience, it's really more of a big fish story than one that caused harm to anyone.  This lie is not one that changed the facts of the mission or a war or anything really other than to plump up perception of Williams.

It's wrong and he got what he deserved, but I think he may be back.  Part of me really thinks his next gig may be on FOX News because that would create tremendous interest and really stick it to the liberals.  We'll see though.

Here's some truth: you a have been around awhile and you post on a variety of matters. And every time I read a post of yours that makes me think "that's a dumbass comment", I realize that I have had so many reactions like that regarding your posts that I then go to my "why is this guy still here" place. Just another demonstration of my belief that we should ban only for the appropriate rule violations, and nothing else, while admitting the wisdom of my stance is open to question.

Nice to have rules.

Archived