Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per HuffPost and AP: NBC anchor Brian Williams lies about being in helicopter hit by enemy fire in Iraq

Popeman38

This sucks, I enjoyed Brian Williams on the news. Thought he was above this kind of ridiculousness.

Lester Holt here we come

I tend to view Brian as a guy who for years has been living off of an earlier-crafted image as a respectable news man (an image which he obviously likes) but in recent years is much more attracted to being a celebrity than a reporter---like a Matt Lauer with gravitas. But at least he had a sense of humor and I "liked" him well enough for what he was to me, but I haven't really respected him as a serious reporter for awhile---just a well-spoken talking suit for reading the network news.

It's sad.   Definitely reminds me of Hillary Clinton claiming to have been under fire at that airport, or Ronald Reagan claiming to have helped liberate Nazi concentration camps even though he spent the entire war in Hollywood.  

It seems to be a commn part of human nature.   It makes you wonder how much of what you hear in history is actually true, or just embellishment after the fact.

Now people are digging through all his stories.

The problem with the helicopter story is that he's told it multiple times. The idea that it was a bad recollection 12 years later is just garbage. This wasn't the first time he told that story that way.

Also, according to members of the military that were there, he not only showed up an hour later, but he wasn't even there that long. He asked a few questions and then was flown out. If this turns out to be true, not only is the original story a lie but his apology was full of lies too.

His Katrina comments have been brought up as well. He apparently said he saw a body float by his hotel in the flood waters. Except he was put in a hotel in an area that didn't even flood.

His apology came off as a genuine mistake that he owned up to. But it's turning out to look more like a bunch of BS. I hope they uncover more. I liked Brian Williams, but I think people that do this need to be held accountable.

My guess is what helped his career 12 years ago might kill it today. Quit calling it a "mistake", tell the truth and maybe you have a shot to keep a bit of dignity.

Seriously. "Oh, wait, I DIDN'T have the traumatic and life threaten experience of being shot down in a helicopter? We landed safely? Wow, I must have misremembered a few details. My mistake."

Can I turn this into an anti-media thread, cause I sort of hate them all. News media today is about everything but providing a balanced, contextualized set of facts. That is true on the left and right, online, in print, on TV and on radio. The more I look, the more transparent it is. 

Anyway, I'm sure Brian Williams has done much worse in terms of how he structures his reporting than this. This episode smacks against his integrity, but the joke that is the media is a much bigger story than his stupid lie.

Frankly, it's a stupid thing to do, and he should get suspended for it.. but fired?

Shoot, be real, the guy READS the headlines and introduces the reporter to give a report.

It's not like what he does requires him to be doing a whole lot other than getting makeup and cues.

Anchors aren't reporters. They're readers. he throws it to Richard Engel who's in the middle of some **** somewhere. Williams is the front man. he may write the headlines he reads, but i doubt it, and if he does, they're headlines and an introduction.

I really don't have an opinion about him one way or the other as far as newsreaders go, because the news always has to be double checked anyway,, so if i hear him read an introduction to a story that seems interesting, i should look into it. So it's not like i feel he has betrayed a trust, because you shouldn't trust any one source to be your news these days unless your'e a fool.

Other than this fish tale, he seems to be pretty good at what he does.. he's engaging, he reads well, he's affable, and easy to listen to.

he shouldn't have done it simply for the embarrassment of being found out, but these days everything is a reason to destroy someone, and i just don't dig that vibe. Bloodthirsty.

The humiliation is a just punishment.

~Bang

Always thought he was a giant bag of douche fluid.  Smug.  

I don't care if he's fired or not, I stopped watching "news" a long time ago.  

Honestly, I get my news from the ES Tailgate.  Yes, that's right.  If there's something major going on, chances are there's a thread on it here with a solid discussion with different viewpoints that make me think.  

Archived