Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 Baltimore Orioles Thread - Hot Stove Edition

MattFancy

3rd string catcher for a full-time DH that might hit 30 HRs and have an OBP at .300. It's good power and DH was a black hole last year so it's an upgrade.

Yep. A 7ish hole guy with power and limited everything else. Jonny Gomes type. I'll take him. Camden Yards is a lot better park for a guy like him than Safeco as well.

Yep. A 7ish hole guy with power and limited everything else. Jonny Gomes type. I'll take him. Camden Yards is a lot better park for a guy like him than Safeco as well.

If they could ever get a lead off type hitter plus bring back Davis, the lineup would be scary good.

Span (hypothetically)

Schoop

Machado

Davis

Jones

Wieters

Trumbo

Hardy

Alvarez/Urrita combo

Like adding Trumbo, especially for what we gave up to get him. Hope this doesn't mean we're out on Davis though.

I'm guessing it's mostly Davis Insurance.

Yeah, Trumbo is making roughly 10x what Clevenger was, but this means we 100% will not see him in the DH role, plus he was out of options anyway. He would have seen zero playing time. This is far far better than just dumping him or letting him sit on the bench.

I would really like to not see another year of high strikeout/low OBP/no speed makeup of the lineup. Trumbo doesn't help that at all. And I don't really buy him as viable Davis insurance. Cruz was that, and they're hoping they get Cruz 2.0, which is questionable. But replacing Davis will likely have to be a 2 for 1 situation. Whoever the 2 is will be interesting.

I'd be shocked if Davis came back at this point. There's too much finagling to move money around to free up. And then they still need starting pitching.

Why would we want to? His asking price is a good $10 mil a year over what he's worth.

His defense >>>>> 

Also, look at the contracts given out over the past few years in FA.  There is no such thing as a fair deal anymore.  You're going to have to overpay.  I'd much rather do this, than go the dumpster diving, cheap route to fill holes. 

His defense >>>>>

Also, look at the contracts given out over the past few years in FA. There is no such thing as a fair deal anymore. You're going to have to overpay. I'd much rather do this, than go the dumpster diving, cheap route to fill holes.

You can find defenders for a fraction of that. Good defense and middling power guys you can find. $200 mil for Heyward is a terrible investment, any way you slice it, IMO. And if they were gonna pay that, I'd rather they just use that money to keep Davis and/or get some starting pitching.

He's a younger version of Carl Crawford, only not as good.

You can find defenders for a fraction of that. Good defense and middling power guys you can find. $200 mil for Heyward is a terrible investment, any way you slice it, IMO. And if they were gonna pay that, I'd rather they just use that money to keep Davis and/or get some starting pitching.

He's a younger version of Carl Crawford, only not as good.

I'd take that gamble on someone who is top 20 in WAR and ELITE defensively.  Not to mention, he's only 26.  His upside is through the roof and it can be argued for as good as he is now, he's not in his prime. 

I know Greinke is 32 and I wouldn't want to pay that, but can we just one time spend some money on an ace? Just one player. I mean, can't we afford one damn 200 million player?

I think it's time to face up to the fact that it's a good time to blow this all up and re-load.  This team as it stands can't compete.  Greinke or someone like him would make us better, but I don't think he'd propel us into the playoffs.  

As much as it pains me to say it, trade Jones and everyone but Schoop and Machado, try to get a haul of young talent like we got from the Bedard trade, cut payroll and try to get some cheap young controllable talent in the system.  We need more Machados and less 200 million dollar players.

I think it's time to face up to the fact that it's a good time to blow this all up and re-load.  This team as it stands can't compete.  Greinke or someone like him would make us better, but I don't think he'd propel us into the playoffs.  

As much as it pains me to say it, trade Jones and everyone but Schoop and Machado, try to get a haul of young talent like we got from the Bedard trade, cut payroll and try to get some cheap young controllable talent in the system.  We need more Machados and less 200 million dollar players.

This is nonsensical as facts do not support your assertion that this team can't compete. We just watched a team with poor starting pitching win the World Series and the O's are two seasons removed from a 96 win division championship. The Bullpen is as good as ever. Chances are the starting pitching will bounce back this season and hopefully this team will have full seasons from Schoop, Hardy, Jones, Tillman, Gonzo and Wieters. If the O's get anything out of the DH and corner outfield positions, they are significantly better than last season and will compete for the division.  

Having an Ace that is paid a huge amount of money doesn't guarantee success.

Archived