Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 Baltimore Orioles Thread - Hot Stove Edition

MattFancy

Just bought a book I saw at the bookstore.

Brooks: the biography of Brooks Robinson by Doug Wilson.

I read it last year.  Good book but very repetitive.  Learned a lot about his history, how he grew up.  But after awhile it gets into page after page of people just talking about what a nice guy he was.  

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately I don't see us re-signing Davis. No noise at all about him. Not being close with ODay is disconcerting. Sounds like they will extend the qualifying offer to Weiters. I'll take a wait and see approach before I rush to judgement, but concerns are there.

Not being close with ODay is disconcerting.

If the Orioles are offering 3 years at setup money and he wants 4 years at closer money...

An offer of  3/21 looks pretty far from the 4/40 he wants. The Orioles bought an extra year of service with that 2 and an option deal he signed the year after we stole him off waivers. He probably wants to get paid.

How did Manny win a gold glove? I didn't think he was that great this year at 3rd. I dunno...maybe the competition was weak.

Unfortunately, the gold glove has become a name competition. The person with the best name at the position is given the benefit of the doubt. Derek Jeter won gold gloves even though he was generally rated as just an average defensive player, but he was known for a a few spectacular plays. Rafael Palmeiro was a great first baseman, but won a gold glove in 99 when he only played 28 games at first and 128 at DH. It's  just how it goes. I don't know if anyone else deserved it this year, but I do know that Manny is still one of the best defensive 3rd baseman in the game. The writers know that and reward that.

Archived