Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 Baltimore Orioles Thread - Hot Stove Edition

MattFancy

Took game 1. Let's win the last two and at least finish 81-81.

So far, so good.  1 more tomorrow.  A .500 record would be fitting for this club, which I think was a good-enough team but just couldn't put it all together (except for a 3-week run in June when they were world-beaters). 

Davis mentioning his disappointment of a lack of talks in a new contract means nothing to me as long as Boras is his agent. He's going to get a 7 year deal... and I doubt it will be from Baltimore.

Agreed.  It's funny because last year we were so grateful that the Orioles didn't give him a fat extension after his monster 2013 season.  Now he's shown that 2013 clearly wasn't an aberration and he will end up getting a huge contract, likely from someone else.   

Wow... so many possibilities for the last day of the season.

The Astros can still catch the Rangers for the AL West title.

The Angels can still catch the Astros for the Wild Card spot.

The Astros can also still catch the Yankees and take home-field advantage for the AL Wild Card game.

On the NL side of things, the Cubs can still catch up to the Pirates and take home-field advantage for the NL Wild Card game.

These are all technicalities (as the teams in the playoffs are pretty much set), so it won't be 2011 again, but it should be an awesome few hours of baseball tomorrow.  MLB did the right thing scheduling all of the games to happen at the same time.

Davis mentioning his disappointment of a lack of talks in a new contract means nothing to me as long as Boras is his agent. He's going to get a 7 year deal... and I doubt it will be from Baltimore.

Does Davis know who is agent is??

I'm glad to see the boys fight for the one lasts thing they could achieve. Yeah, it sucks missing the playoffs. But heading down the stretch, this was a goal they could shoot for and I'm glad they did it.

Now, on to the off season and the agonizing over all the moves that were and weren't made.

In 2011, Buck took over late in the season just before the dog days of August. He took the same number as Johnny Oates as a nod to a cog in the Oriole Way. And I wondered why he took the job and started instead of waiting to take over the next year. But the team played hard and ended that season by knocking the Sox out of the playoffs in #162. They ended the season as winners.

And while this season just didn't materialize; They played hard to the end. Buck lost his mother and all he wanted to do today was end the season on a positive note and give they guys who many never suit up in the orange and black one last pop.

'There are no sad days in baseball.'

looking back on this season...a .500 record is actually an accomplishment.

If you were told prior to game 1 that:

Bud Norris, Travis Snider, Lough, De Aza, and Delmon would be DFA'd

De Aza would be traded

Hardy would be injured nearly all year

Tillman and Gonzo would struggle nearly all year

You see the .500 figure, laugh, and say...no way they get to .500.

Watching the post game interview with Davis was tough.

Manny and Jones are both being vocal about the need to resign him.

Having Manny be vocal is something to consider. If they don't resign davis, I see them having a VERY tough time with Manny in a few years. Especially since he's making WAY less than Trout and Harper. He's arbitatrion eligable for the first time this year.

Bucks post game presser was even tougher to watch. He seemed to be on the verge of tears the entire time. This might be the most pivital off-season in recent history for the O's.

Why do the Nats fans want Cal as a manager? He has no experience. I wouldn't want him as OUR manager. Bench coach maybe. But like the others, he should work his way up. But I think he's too busy to want to take on that commitment.

I think they made the right move firing Williams, but I don't think Cal is the answer.

Why do the Nats fans want Cal as a manager? He has no experience. I wouldn't want him as OUR manager. Bench coach maybe. But like the others, he should work his way up. But I think he's too busy to want to take on that commitment.

I think they made the right move firing Williams, but I don't think Cal is the answer.

Some said they wanted Cal just to tick off O's fans. meh.

I have no idea where Cal's head is at. But, in my un-expert opinion, i have a hard time thinking he'd want to be in the day to day grind of managing a MLB team. And would that at all conflict with his minor league interests?

There's no doubt he knows the baseball world inside and out though.

They might end up with a Cal. We have a Buck.

There are 2 reasons and they go hand in hand.

1. Although they don't admit it, most of them are former Orioles fans, so they worship and adore Cal.

2. They think it will really stick it to the Orioles fans for Cal to go to the Nationals.

I'm with you. I wouldn't want Cal as a manager. If it was a young team rebuilding, then maybe he could be the guy to come in and teach. But to take a veteran team and give them a former superstar with no experience the job? That doesn't sound smart.

Besides, can you imagine how Harper would react the first time Cal told him he was doing something wrong? On second thought, I may be all for him going to the Nationals.

Bucks mom died last night. He was asked during the post game press conference if today is a sad day for him. He said, "yes, but not for baseball reasons. There are no sad days in baseball". I love Buck.

We're so lucky to have him....on the other hand, DD can go kick rocks. 

This offseason, the team HAS to spend money on pitching, Chris Davis, and a leadoff hitter.  Manny's bat is too good to be wasted anywhere other than the 3 spot. 

I wouldn't want Cal managing the Nats, for the sake of Cal.  I'd hate to see someone I admire and respect having to steer through the crap-show that is the Nats franchise.  A team with no spine, no guts, and a bunch of turncoat fans who will jump on him the minute something goes wrong.  Say no Cal, it's not worth it.

I wouldn't want Cal managing the Nats, for the sake of Cal.  I'd hate to see someone I admire and respect having to steer through the crap-show that is the Nats franchise.  A team with no spine, no guts, and a bunch of turncoat fans who will jump on him the minute something goes wrong.  Say no Cal, it's not worth it.

I'm not going to disparage the Nats, but I don't think Cal is a great choice for that team. He would have the same level of experience managing at that level as his predecessor. Ah well. If it's Cal, I'll wish him well. I'm not going to get ticked off or anything. The Orioles already have the manager I want. 

does anyone else remember when Cals mother was "kidnapped"? She was taken from her home at gunpoint, driven around for a while,..she was found in the car, with her hands bound. It was found close to her home. the guys car and face were all over the news up here. Never made an arrest. Then a year later, she was robbed at gun point outside of a bank. The news of the kidnapping, quickly just stopped happening. Strange story.

I'm not going to disparage the Nats, but I don't think Cal is a great choice for that team. He would have the same level of experience managing at that level as his predecessor. Ah well. If it's Cal, I'll wish him well. I'm not going to get ticked off or anything. The Orioles already have the manager I want.

You are correct. I don't think it would be a good fit for the Nats. And I don't want to see him fail because he's in a position to fail.

does anyone else remember when Cals mother was "kidnapped"? She was taken from her home at gunpoint, driven around for a while,..she was found in the car, with her hands bound. It was found close to her home. the guys car and face were all over the news up here. Never made an arrest. Then a year later, she was robbed at gun point outside of a bank. The news of the kidnapping, quickly just stopped happening. Strange story.

Like your "One Crazy Summer" pic. Lol...You probably didn't think anyone else knew what movie that was from.

Astros and the rest of the baseball world: feel free to thank the Orioles for softening up the Yankees for you with our weekend sweep.  I'm glad MLB expanded to a couple wild cards.  But man, 162 games over 6 months, and your season ends in 1 night. Ouch.

I agree, I think WC round should be a 3 game series 

Archived